Testors Store Display

TonyW

I've added some green to the airframe and given myself a bit of a fright. It's somewhat vivid!

The colours are a richer version of the box top. I thought that would look the part, but now it's done I'm not so sure. It's a bit overwhelming. I added the stars to see if things calmed down a bit, and I'll be trying a bit of satin clear to see if knocking back the high gloss helps. Toning down the contrast with an oil wash might work as well. I'll let the finish dry rock hard before I try that, in case I need to wipe off the wash. Adding the stars has also complicated any thoughts of a tinted finish over the airframe. I'm my own worst enemy sometimes.

IMG-6595.jpg

The B17's below are all wooden models, from the Smithsonian Museum model book, Built to a far higher standard than mine, but showing how good a gloss finish can look on a model, and how good a wooden model can be! If I can get the mix of the look of these, along with the cartoon like paint box rendering right I'll be happy.

IMG-5092.jpg

• Like 6

I've tried a flat clear coat over the plane, just to see what it looks like without a wet look gloss finish. It's transformed the planes appearance!

IMG-6608.jpg

IMG-6611.jpg

It now looks semi believable. If I told you it's the 1943 Alberta Wargame, Blue Force scheme, you might believe me for a second or two. 😁 I'm not sure it suits the style of build I'm after. Maybe a semi gloss finish, somewhere between the two?

The stand might see service, maybe not. It's a youghurt pot lid with a bit of brass tube sunk into a big lump of milliput. The bright silver finish is from a spray can bought from Aldi a while back. It's very bright!

I've also cut four clear discs of plastic card as possible 'spinning' props. Four mounting bosses are next on the to do list.

More later.

Tony.

• Like 8

You've got it, Tony! The flat finish is showing a bit of 'satin' and the turret/glass/props details really bring it 'alive'. That's a wonderful result - you probably pick it up expecting it to be 'heavy' in wood but surprised it feels a bit lighter, although I think a kit of this size still feels pretty substantial in plastic. Are you thinking gun barrels now? Congratulations on this excellent build. All the best. Mike.

• Thanks 1

More fine tuning going on here...

IMG-6623.jpg

Gun barrels added, made from short lengths of brass wire. They are a bit oversize.  I tried more scale sized wire but thought they looked a bit too in scale!  these fatter barrels won't win me any model contest awards, however, they do help the old style look I'm after.

The big stars on the fuselage sides have been replaced with smaller versions. The big ones kept catching my eye, so they had to go.

The whole topside has had a couple of airbrushed coats of Tamiya Clear Yellow. The previous flat clear had shifted the colour balance somehow. I think another coat or two might be called for, but the plane looks a lot closer to the box top version than it did a day ago.

The nose transparency area might get its frame re-finished in cammo brown as the current green looks a bit dull as it sits. More contrast might be better.

The undersides are next in line for a bit of attention.

Tony.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the plane is now as finished as it's ever going to be! It makes me smile when I look at it, so I'm calling this one a success.

It still needs a stand of some sort to tie the plane and paintbox together, and that's the next job in line.

Here's how she looks today...

IMG-6780.jpg

IMG-6782.jpg

And here's a behind the scenes look at my photo studio. 

IMG-6783.jpg

Just a bit of black perspex sat on a bed in our spare room! Natural daylight from behind with the camera flash filling in from the front. I crop and remove unwanted areas using photoshop. Sometimes I mess around with the colour balance, sometimes not.

• Like 8

Brilliant take on vintage modelling. 

#

That old Airfix kit is older than 1975. More likely early 1960s as I built one when I was about 11 and the box art was the split with the red stripe or another colour, It cost 7/6d in real money terms, for the series 5 kit back then. Equivalent roughly of 35p. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Brilliant take on vintage modelling. 

#

That old Airfix kit is older than 1975. More likely early 1960s as I built one when I was about 11 and the box art was the split with the red stripe or another colour, It cost 7/6d in real money terms, for the series 5 kit back then. Equivalent roughly of 35p. 

Here's the first issue of the Airfix B17, shown as part of a Type 2 Airfix display in my old hobby room. my earliest memories of the kit were of the Type 3 kit, with the iconic Roy Cross artwork.

airfix-1453.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • vppelt68 changed the title to Testors Store Display