There goes the no claims discount....

GrahamS

And that is why, in the forces, we always had wing tip walkers, no matter what the size of the aircraft.

And also no matter if it was going backwards, forwards or sideways. If it moves, watch it!

• Like 1

To my mind, both the cargo platform operator & tug driver are at fault. The first for leaving the platform there & the tug driver for not visually checking the surroundings as they approached their slot, which appeared to me to be done with some haste.

Steve.

• Like 1

Ah there but for the grace of God...

Needed to sort the paperwork on one of our jets out out on the ramp. Took the ratty old company van out and parked it at the end of the airstair. When I finished what I was doing on the flight deck and re-emerged The van was gone. Well not quite it was in fact now nestling neatly under the wing of what was fortunately a 727, no underwing engines. The handbrake had slipped and it had rolled away missing everything vital thank goodness. I was just glad it wasn't the company Transit. It definitely wouldn't fit under the wing!

My lucky day.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2018 at 9:01 AM, Head in the clouds. said:

If that was my vehicle left there after desperately needing to slope off to check my facebook status I would be producing brown cakes of a different kind. Is it normal to leave kit on active taxi ways/aprons?

No, it definitely isn't!

It shouldn't have been dumped there but equally when towing the tow driver has responsibility to ensure the plane fits in the gap he's towing it down.

The tug driver may have been either a line engineer or a service handling ramp agent. The latter tend to be poorly paid and work in poor conditions - i.e. the companies just tend to be horrible places to work. The time pressure can be overwhelming and you seldom feel like your employer "has your back" for delaying things to do them by the rules.

(I was a baggage mangler / "Ramp Agent" at weekends to pay my way through university)

• Like 2