Eduard 1/72 F6f-3 FINISHED

almac

2 minutes ago, almac said:

Thanks Hewy. I have never had too much trouble with spraying Revell Aquacolors  so I guess I must be lucky. I did have real problems with the Tamiya white. It  was either too thin  or too thick and grainy. I think I forgot all I knew about airbrushing in the year I didn't finish any builds. The blue went on ok though. The next stage is the sea blue but I'm waiting for that to arrive hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers Allan

I'm glad it's not just me with the Tamiya white! I had a bit of a mare with it and found the Vallejo Air to be so much better!!

She looks lovey, Allen. Looking forward to seeing more :smile:

Cheers

Nigel

22 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

I'm glad it's not just me with the Tamiya white! I had a bit of a mare with it and found the Vallejo Air to be so much better!!

She looks lovey, Allen. Looking forward to seeing more :smile:

Cheers

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. I’ve tried Vallejo air once,interior green, and I remember it sprayed ok. I’ll try again with the Tamiya white as I have a couple of bottles.

Cheers Allan

Morning all. I’ve been looking at this Hellcat and I think the intermediate blue is too dark. I’ve looked at the internet and there seems to be various interpretations from very light to much darker. Any thoughts people?

Cheers Allan 

I’m coming round to believing that unless a subject has been seen in the ‘real’, shades of colours can’t be easily corroborated. Colour settings on screens, lighting when originals were taken, pictures taken of pictures and posted on line etc all skew what was ‘actual’. Just my tuppence worth 🤔

• Like 2

Evening all. More progress tonight. I spent another couple of hours masking in prep for the sea blue going on. The sea blue was a mix of Tamiya xf-17 sea blue,xf-8 flat blue and xf-2 white. This mix I found on another forum when I was looking for mix for the intermediate blue so I thought I'd give a go. This time I managed the paint without any drama. Once the masking came off it revealed several areas needing attention so that will be my next task. Anyways here are some pics.

BC0JBSs.jpg

tkTi3hf.jpg

Cheers Allan

• Like 5

On 12/8/2018 at 4:55 AM, almac said:

Morning all. I’ve been looking at this Hellcat and I think the intermediate blue is too dark. I’ve looked at the internet and there seems to be various interpretations from very light to much darker. Any thoughts people?

Cheers Allan 

When I saw the above question, I looked back at the earlier shot, which didn't show the blue well enough for me to have a real opinion.  I did, however, think, "Put the dark blue on and then see what you think."  Then I scrolled down and saw that that's what you've done, and I now think it looks good!

While I'm always interested in the colour discussions, my own philosophy is "Look at as many pictures etc as you can, then go with what "seems right".

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Allen, She’s looking very nice ! :smile:

Thanks Nigel

13 hours ago, Hook said:

Looking pretty good from here! 

Cheers,

Andre

Thanks Andre

8 hours ago, gingerbob said:

When I saw the above question, I looked back at the earlier shot, which didn't show the blue well enough for me to have a real opinion.  I did, however, think, "Put the dark blue on and then see what you think."  Then I scrolled down and saw that that's what you've done, and I now think it looks good!

While I'm always interested in the colour discussions, my own philosophy is "Look at as many pictures etc as you can, then go with what "seems right".

Thanks Gingerbob

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Evening all. I can't believe it's been 5 weeks since I last posted. The blame lies with all the Christmas nonsense and the fact my son bought me the airfix B17 Fortress III which has distracted my attention somewhat. Anyways I've made some progress, the touch-ups have been done and a gloss coat sprayed.  All the other bits like under carriage, engine etc have been painted. I still need to replace the gun barrels and I will probably use the Master P-47 gun barrels which I'm not sure are accurate but I think they will look ok. Anyway here is a not very interesting pic of the glossed kit.

Cheers Allan

ni1KoyT.jpg

• Like 5

Morning all. I've made some more progress with the Eduard Hellcat. In the last couple of hours I started the decals and drilled out the holes for the machine gun barrels which I'll put in towards the end of the build as I'm bound to knock them off if I do it now. The first decal I put on I used microset/sol and it seems to have left  a white residue which will not come off so I think it's kind of stained the paint. I have a memory of this happening before and it was ok after the gloss coat after the decals are done. We shall see how that goes.  

Cheers Allan

PouInGE.jpg

WH8gPUl.jpg

• Like 4

Evening all. A small amount of progress tonight. I spent a tedious few hours applying the stencils some of which are tiny. Under magnification they are all legible but I noticed one spelling error where water has two ‘t’s.  Still more stencils to do tomorrow and then I hope to be near completion around the weekend. 

Cheers Allan

PHcYB7I.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all. Having seen Enzo's Grumman production line and being aware the deadline is fast approaching I decided to crack on and get this finished soon. Almost there,some weathering etc and the flat coat next time. Here's where I am just now. Undercarriage and prop are not glued yet. Gun barrels still to be painted.

nNGuykt.jpg

C3huIfS.jpg

Cheers Allan

• Like 2

Evening All. I'm finally calling this one done. Not my best work but I'm happy to finish it as it's the first one in over a year. This really is an excellent kit and look forward to doing another soon which will be a FAA example. Tomorrow I'll take some more pictures but here is one for now.

rycsBsS.jpg

Cheers Allan

• Like 5

Lovely job, Allan. I just read through this all again and I love the colour scheme and your tip on getting the 'right' sea blue for this Hellcat. Great work and something for me to aim at. All the best. Mike.

Edited by Ventora3300