Eduard 1/72 F6f-3 FINISHED

almac

Evening all. Here is my entry for the GB. I originally thought about doing a Hobbyboss F9f but decided to do the Eduard Hellcat as it looks a really nice kit and I've read it goes together well. Hopefully I'll be able to make a start tomorrow when her indoors is watching Strictly.

JYURSgP.jpg

mNWBja8.jpg

Cheers Allan

• Like 5

19 hours ago, almac said:

Evening all. Here is my entry for the GB. I originally thought about doing a Hobbyboss F9f but decided to do the Eduard Hellcat as it looks a really nice kit and I've read it goes together well. Hopefully I'll be able to make a start tomorrow when her indoors is watching Strictly.

Cheers Allan

Bolding mine: I just opened my box, had a quick look and I can tell you this much: you’ll enjoy it :)

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

Well I've made a start on the Eduard F6f-3 tonight and spent 4 hours doing the cockpit. As you will all know this is a Profipack version with some extras like coloured photo-etch for the cockpit, some unpainted etch for the exterior and paint masks. Now I have never been too successful with photo-etch as in this scale some of it is tiny and frankly ridiculously difficult to use so I tend to avoid using it. But with this one I thought I would give it a go. I really struggled with the seat-belts but eventually got them on but they don't look good at all. Anyway despite my ham-fisted attempts with etch I did actually enjoy myself which is what it's about I think. Tonight was the first modelling I've done for over a year for various reasons mostly lack of mojo. Anyways here are some pics of tonight's efforts.

a1GYhBU.jpg

h3gvZxf.jpg

4Qgv1Vf.jpg

BnKfkaB.jpg

Cheers Allan

Edited by almac
new pictures
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, Hewy said:

Impressive work allan, especially as it 72nd scale

Thanks Hewy. I love 1/72 but some of the parts are crazy small. Think I need stronger reading glasses.

Cheers Allan 

• Haha 1

Evening all. More progress tonight on the Hellcat. I've closed up the fuselage and assembled the wings and the two halves of the cowl. The next stage will to tidy up the seams which hopefully will not need much much work as the detail is very nice and it would be a shame to lose it. I also need to clean up my inevitable glue marks from gluey fingers. Here are the pics.

Last view of the cockpit before it's lost from sight.

XjUVqZz.jpg

I dry fitted the rest to get an idea of the fit. The wings are very tight and will need some minor adjustments otherwise it  all looks rather good for now.

2Y1gpYb.jpg

Cheers Allan

• Like 8

Evening or morning all. I spent a couple of hours on the Hellcat tonight. I sorted out the seams with Mr Surfacer and I think they are ok now but I'll see when the primer goes on. The wings and the rear stabilizers went on perfectly with only a little extra thin glue. I attempted to fit the canopy but the middle sliding section wasn't a good fit for me so I've glued on the front windscreen and will sort out the middle when the front is set. So anyway here are some not very impressive pics of where I am.

n4AbfCD.jpg

FVfaD24.jpg

Cheers Allan

• Like 7

Well Alan you may not think the pics are impressive but the speed at which you've worked to this point in the kit certainly is! Looks great so far :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Col. said:

Well Alan you may not think the pics are impressive but the speed at which you've worked to this point in the kit certainly is! Looks great so far :thumbsup:

Thanks Col.

5 hours ago, Silenoz said:

I can only concur... bit of a bummer that the first pics are very small, but it sure looks nice

Thanks Silenoz. I had a problem with Postimage with the first set of pics so I switched to Imgur and so far so good.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Look's great so far Allan and by the look's of thing's a much better experience than I'm having with it's big brother!

Thanks Steve. So far this kit has been one of best fitting kits I’ve built. Apart from the canopy which I am finding to be tricky. I wanted to use the closed canopy option but can’t seem to get it right so I will try the open canopy. On nights over the weekend so no modelling till Monday at the earliest.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Great work so far - it's coming together really nicely.  Looking forward to see the paint go on...

Thanks. Hopefully painting starts on Monday.

Cheers Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all. After a week of no modelling I've made some progress with the Hellcat. I sprayed some interior green on the canopy and then applied some primer. As expected the primer showed up some ares needing work but nothing major. The underside shows some seams needing work so that's my next task.

BZcIddU.jpg

f7szTGE.jpg

Cheers Allan

• Like 6

4 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi Allan,

This is looking very nice. Taking notes seeing as you're ahead of me :wink:

Thanks. I have made a wee bit of progress but no pictures. It really doesn’t look much different to the previous pics. Be aware the gun barrels are easily broken. One of mine broke off when I was sanding the fuselage seam so I’ve cut the others off and drilled out the holes and I will replace them with something suitable.

Cheers Allan

Evening all. some progress tonight. Started painting the white. A bit patchy just now and it shows up some rough bits that need some attention so that will be tackled tomorrow hopefully.

jRUKNWy.jpg

This is the paint scheme I've decided on. It's from the Eduard Weekend boxing of the F6f-3.

IfpEk5d.jpg

Cheers Allan

• Like 7

6 hours ago, almac said:

Evening all. some progress tonight. Started painting the white. A bit patchy just now and it shows up some rough bits that need some attention so that will be tackled tomorrow hopefully.

Cheers Allan

Looks fine from here Allan. I think that 'patchy' looks more lifelike; not so uniform :smile:

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all, well I've made slow progress on this one for various reasons, airbrush issues, too much work and not enough spare time. When I last posted I had sprayed some Tamiya white and it took an age to cover and the finish was a rough as ....well it was rough. So I sanded it back to smooth it out and sprayed on some Revell white and it was much smoother and covered better.

du2ezDv.jpg

The next step was to mask off the white which took ages and I ended up with this.

dyljjU0.jpg

Next up was the intermediate blue. My choice was  Tamiya xf-18 mixed  50/50 with white but when I attempted to thin the mix I made a daft mistake by adding white spirit instead of isopropyl and well they don't mix. One trip to hobbycraft later I have some new paint and this time thin it properly and here is where I am now.

vAzKtQl.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers Allan

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looks an eye catching scheme Allan,  good job up to yet, BTW I don't know how you manage to spray on that revell white, my airbrush, or me, can't do it, ends up like textured chalk

Thanks Hewy. I have never had too much trouble with spraying Revell Aquacolors  so I guess I must be lucky. I did have real problems with the Tamiya white. It  was either too thin  or too thick and grainy. I think I forgot all I knew about airbrushing in the year I didn't finish any builds. The blue went on ok though. The next stage is the sea blue but I'm waiting for that to arrive hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1