Alconbury Phantom

A while back someone pointed out to me that while I had a Wethersfield F-100, a Bentwaters A-10 and a Lakenheath F-4, I had a gap for Alconbury (I won’t count the F-5 aggressors as neither are in Fully UK schemes). So when an RF-4B/C kit came up for a good price on eBay it seemed time to sort this gap out.  I had thought that RF-4Es were the only reasonably easy kit to get hold off & had thought of trying to back date one.  But this Italeri kit claimed to be just what I wanted

56Cj1p0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And the decals I got for my Lakenheath F-4 contained decals for Alconbury RF-4Cs in SEA camo, SEA wraparound, and Euro One.  After a bit of checking around for both the angular nose and the curved nose, I settled on a wraparound camo version.

So here she is

4JU7Wzb_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

YPCreAS_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Her tanks are grey Euro One tanks - both schemes were around & changing from one to the other.

wn1euu0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

ZgVRMli_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

With her Lakenheath cousin

oYodcxY_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

And with the the rest of the Phantoms

kwnOlm0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

She doesn’t have all of the stencil decals yet & may get a bit of weathering down but not for a while.  Hope you like her.

• Like 17

Those first two photos with the long shadows are absolutely fantastic. The real sunlight really makes the photos look like they were taken at Alconbury in 1980. Great work as usual.

• Like 1