A pair of insects for Telford?

Good evening gents and gentesses, having landed back from New York about four hours ago I am now back in the work room thinking of Telford. Whenever we get down to the last couple of weeks I feel the need to push myself to finish something last minute. This time I found a Gnat in my stash crying out to be built.

2018-10-19_04-17-38

Looks a lovely kit with two very nice schemes, but which to choose? 

After a bit of deliberation I chose to do both, so dug the other one from the stash.

2018-10-19_04-20-00

Now I can do both for Telford. Also I can keep changing my mind for the final schemes, what joy.

So.  On with the building.

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 12

Hi Guys, Thanks for looking in.  Yesterday jet lag really caught up with me after I had managed to stick bits of the cockpit together.  Your faith in me completing this task is humbling, but I will pledge to have these on the Training Aircraft SIG table for the Saturday morning, so feel free to pop by,

20181020_170823

20181020_191247

Airfix have kindly added ONE crew member for a TWO seat aircraft.  Thank you Airfix.  However, this means that I can crew one fully and have the other empty just to add a bit of variety.

In order to expedite the build(s) I have skipped forward a bit to get some of the fuselage bits together before the first bit of paint is launched in the general direction of the plastic.

20181020_195349

Also I have knocked up the main gear wells.

20181020_195359

Next up, some colours.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Some paint and further construction has taken place. First off I decided that the best approach to the dual build would be to do both together and skip back and forth through the instructions.

So far I have knocked up the intakes and wheel wells on the fuselage halves. A simple trial fit suggests that I will need to thin out the intake join point as the lower join of the body does not meet fully.

20181021_145114

The seats have also had the airbrush treatment,  which were a bit of a bugger to mask, but the end result is ok. 

20181021_205651

20181021_205840

I have also sprayed the flight suits which means that the next stage will be detai painting with the hairy stick next.

Hoping to have that finished by Wednesday so further construction can take place.

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 3

A little more work has taken place tonight.  Mainly detail painting, but also putting the instrument panel decal on. 

20181023_204955

Looking at the state of the raised lines I think I should have done these earlier. 

20181023_205345

Managed to get them lined up so flooded them with micro sol,  I may repeat it in the morning,  to try to get them settled down.

In the meantime I painted both pilots ready for later in the build.

20181023_212614

20181023_212601

I have also decided to ruin the lines of the Gnat by opening the nose on one of the aircraft.  There is a bit of artistic licence going on but it looks busy enough. 

20181023_212549

I am guessing that the bay was held open with a simple brace rather than something exotic like a gas strut. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for looking

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Bill.B said:

Nice to see a bit of diversity coming through with the pilots being clearly of different race. 😁 

Nowt to do with my planet guv!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

Hello DM !

Respect!! 2 kits in such a short delay !

I would'nt even dare to do it !

I prepare 2 Kits for Telford too … But SMW2019 :rofl2:

Great job man nicely painted so far !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Further work has taken place tonight and I am still on course for Telford. Following copious amounts of micro sol the ip decals have settled as much as I could hope, so the cockpits could be finished.

20181024_205329

The next step being to add to the fuselage. 

20181024_210713

The fit was exceptional with no issues,  but make sure that the rear bulkhead snicks behind the splitter plate part.

With one set together I thought it best to see if you could fit the pilots in after the two halves were together. The front seat was no problem   but I guess that Mr. Airfix doesn't want a back seat driver.

20181024_211850

I therefore had to resort to major leg surgery,  which fortunately did not result in amputation. 

20181024_221851

Followed by application of miliput.

As you can see, a much wider undercarriage track was required for the back office.

20181024_221910

These guys will be touched up later. That came out wrong.

Moving swiftly on, here is where I finished up tonight.

20181024_221832

Tomorrow,  wings.

Thanks for looking

Edited by depressed lemur
Pic added
  • Like 4

Thursday didn't see much building taking place which was a bit of a blow given the time scale I set myself. Last light however saw further progress.

20181026_235102

This is going to be my open all options version. Possibly silver, possibly red, still not decided yet. 

20181026_235108

This one is having two crew members and a closed canopy. I am also thinking of going back to my youth and doing wheels up, using an Airfix stand. Last time I did that I think I was 8.

Speaking of which,  the 48th Gnat has working ailerons and rudder, a hark back to the good old days. At least this time the hinges don't look over scale.

20181026_235115

Final job last night was to mask up the canopies for spraying. At least by using both options I have a spare if I completely stuff it up.

Later today, paint.

This is looking really good. I look forward to seeing these at Telford. This will be my first year there. I can only make the Sunday though because there's a family event on the Saturday but I'm looking forward to it.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Timmas said:

This is looking really good. I look forward to seeing these at Telford. This will be my first year there. I can only make the Sunday though because there's a family event on the Saturday but I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks Timmas for your confidence.  They will be there both days (if I get a move on) on the Training Aircraft SIG in hall 1 I believe. 

• Like 1

For some reason either Britmodeller or Flickr were mad at me. Either way  I could add one picture but no more. Guess I needed some time on the naughty step, but snuck upstairs to the desk. Yesterday I finished off masking both kits and blacking the canopies. 

20181028_000201

Before sticking them on the kits. I think I put the crew inside, but my memory is a bit fuzzy sometimes, either that or the carpet monster had a feast 😲.

Tonight I have been preparing the colours for two schemes.

20181029_212523

This beastie is going to take a lot of time due to the more complex nature of the job. I will need to put another coat of white before masking and moving on to the grey.

20181029_212518

This guy, on the other hand is almost finished paint wise, but will need much more work fittings wise.

Thanks for looking

• Like 4

Time keeps moving on and on. Telford looms and the Gnat still progess onwards. 

The red one has been varnished so is almost ready for decalling. But I will leave that to the weekend. 

The multi coloured one, however, needs a fair amount of masking.

20181101_212535

Underside wings painted grey then even more masking.

20181101_212546

It is worse than wrapping presents for Christmas and yes, as I struggled I did think that keeping the wing tanks off would have made the job easier.

Top tip for anyone doing one of these, keeping the wing tanks off will save several failed attempts at masking, much swearing and possibly sticking an errant scalpel blade into a thumb.

Eventually I did manage to stick the yellow stuff where I wanted it and whacked on the red.

20181101_214227

Tomorrow I will add a varnish to the red before removing the masking. I am thinking that this will avoid the chance of errant red colouring moving onto the white bits. We shall see.

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 1

Little bit of a disaster seems to have occurred with the paint finish.

The underside looks fine

20181102_184655

But the top looks nothing like I wanted.

20181102_184632

No idea what caused this but an unwanted delay given the timeline. I think I will give this a light rubbing down and try to reapply. I will not be beaten.

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 2

A little bit of work went into the red coat last night and I was finally happy with the result.

Earlier I applied a varnish to the red as it has a habit of bleeding during application so I thought that I would seal it first before covering the whole of the kit in varnish prior to decalling. 

I have finally got to, what I find one of the best aspects of modelling. Some may think I am odd, but I love masking, and removing masking. When you apply it, it is a very relaxing time, listening to music, enjoying the moment. When you remove it, it is like seeing all your hard work being revealed if yo know what I mean. A bit like a butterfly emerging from a crysalis. 

So, tonight I removed the mask to reveal this.

20181103_203751

20181103_203759

What in God's own name allowed red to bleed into those areas? I mean, not even near the edge? Come on. 

Tomorrow will involve repairing the damage before varnish and decals.

Don't worry though,  it will be on the table at Telford. 

Thanks for looking. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Watching with interest.  I have some history with red & white RAF jets & a gnat wouldn’t be out of place.  Looks a reasonable kit so far - I can see why you might add the slipper tanks later.  Nice work so far

• Thanks 1

I have found that if you prime, then tape over, apply another coat of prime on top.  That will bleed under & seal the tape edge, but it’s the same colour.  Then put your different colour first coat on.  Got some pretty clean lines that way.

• Like 1