Crash Crane - Carrier aircraft tow tractor

Orion

Dear Britmodellers,

There is a bilingual,  non profit book,  in the make with the title "All vehicles of the Royal Netherlands Navy since 1945"

400 pages filled with pics and some text in English and Dutch.

The authors are a retired Marine and a retired Army NCO.

I was kindly requested to find some answers regarding the attached two pictures.

Is there any Britmodeller around that can give:

Type of vehicle

Brand/manufacturer 

Some technical information

Any response is very much appreciated.

Highest Regards,

Orion (Dirk) The Netherlands.

Crashkraan-1950.jpg

Dektractor-Karel-Doorman1948-1955.jpg

The crane is known as a jumbo crane in british service,not sure of a kit of it exists though,but the small tug looks like the type used by the fleet air arm and available from f4 models via hannants.

The second one looks like an update or variation on the Clark AT tractor (see https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Clark_AT_ground_equipment_tractor_-_Williamsport,_KS,_USA_-_panoramio_(13).jpg) which was used widely by the RN and RAN FAA from WWII through into the 50s. eg http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Sea-Fury-WM490/Sea_Fury_WM490?full=1

The Dutch one in your photo seems to be a four wheeler variant though but it might by the angle. I would say its a ClarkAT F Model from the 1950s. Note this seems to have been in production into the 1970s so expect some minor variations from photos on the net.

5458531934_4ab793dd38_b.jpg

This link shows some of the many variations of the ClarkAT: https://hiveminer.com/Tags/clarkat

Edited by Biggles81

9 hours ago, fatalbert said:

The crane is known as a jumbo crane in british service,not sure of a kit of it exists though,but the small tug looks like the type used by the fleet air arm and available from f4 models via hannants.

The F4 models ClarkAT is a 3 wheeler Model B, Dirk's photo looks like a model F four wheeler.

Edited by Biggles81
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fatalbert said:

Just goes to show how observant I am lol

To be fair I had done a lot of work to identify the F4 Models version as Type B a while back. This is the first time I had even noticed that there was a later type, makes you wonder what the C,D and E types looked like.

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

Thanks for the response regarding my questions.

I have to admit, that I am confused by the tow tractor in the picture.

The back wheel is clear, but the front: Two wheels connected to each other,  or also two separated front wheels.

The F4 model does this have four or three wheels in the front?

I did put down "Jumbo"for the deck crane.

Many thanks for your shared knowledge on this excellent form.

Regards,

Dirk

I think you will find in the F Type shown In your photo has the two front wheels spread wider and the front squared off, whereas the earlier B model has the two front wheels mounted close to each like a castor wheel.

This gallery shows the difference in the two models: 

You may find this useful too as it has all the Type F specs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950s-Clark-equipment-co-Clarkat-towing-tractors-original-sales-literature-/302888663134?nma=true&si=kMhxlWWirFwGBEM4JxHGxNJOTxE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Biggles81

Hello Biggles 81,

Thanks for your contribution.

The problem is solved with your brochure.

4 wheels for the Royal Netherlands Navy and no "castor Wheels".

Highest Regards, Orion (Dirk)