Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

sprue

Recent Humbrol Enamels - poor quality

Recommended Posts

Like Graham, I've opened a couple of new tins over the last few weeks for my current Spit project and each one has been excellent, correct colour and good consistency. Far removed from the odd bum tin I got a year or so back. I also think he might be on the right track with the "maybe we're becoming used to the thinner consistency of the newer lines of paints for airbrush users" thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last week I bought 3 x tins of Humbrol 76 and 2 x Humbrol 85 for a large spraying session...…………...on opening them I decided to cancel project as ALL 5 tins are like porridge!!!  I could and was able to stand the stirrer in the mush...………….it was so thick, it came out as a solid mass, plus I note they are overfilled to brim, you have not the room to stir the contents of the tin as  when you stir, the thick mass covers the rim on the tin top, very messy when replacing top as paint is stuck to inside of top and overlapped onto the rim...……..paint stuck to the inside top of lid and that makes a mess when you take top off and it drags like a bogie from tin to where ever it lands on your work surface...……...this will be my last outing with Humbrol………….such a waste of money, I have printed out a number of long labels to apply to my paint stands which read "Do not buy any more Humbrol" just to jog my memory as my existing original  Humbrol paints run out...………..6 racks each holding 30 Humbrol tinlets………..its only the paint made over the last few years or so that the problem appears to be with...…..my recently purchased tins have colour and code number printed on sticker on base of tin...……...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did have a matt white Humbrol that fits the description of Rays issue. The tin is full of basically toothpaste consistency (or harder) paint, that you need a putty knife to take out, and it is filled to the top with this stuff, so you need to spoon out lumps of it to try and thin. PITA.

 

Ray, what did the labels look like on those tins? did it have a top sticker for the colour? or painted lid? I want to see whether the paints you got were from the crap that is still circulating through the system, or one of the new new tins with the undersized labels.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sapperastro said:

Ray, what did the labels look like on those tins? did it have a top sticker for the colour? or painted lid? I want to see whether the paints you got were from the crap that is still circulating through the system, or one of the new new tins with the undersized labels.

Hi......no, the lid is sprayed in the expected colour that is allegedly inside the tin,. but I note, these tins do not have the union Jack printed on them...…………..I had endless problems with Humbrol paints which were issued with a union jack on them, seems Humbrol must read these threads and taken the union jack off the tins.  I always steered clear of Humbrol Paint with a UJ on them as the current problems started roughly from when Humbrol started to put the UJ on them(I suspect that's when production returned to the UK )but...…………..not a problem any more as I do no longer buy Humbrol.  In the last year or so, I have taken to buying my Humbrol paint from Ebay only...……………...but it has to be "vintage" Humbol; bidding can go high for job lots of vintage Humbrol paint, but if you want the quality, you have to pay for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rayprit said:

Last week I bought 3 x tins of Humbrol 76 and 2 x Humbrol 85 for a large spraying session...…………...on opening them I decided to cancel project as ALL 5 tins are like porridge!!!  I could and was able to stand the stirrer in the mush...………….it was so thick, it came out as a solid mass, plus I note they are overfilled to brim, you have not the room to stir the contents of the tin as  when you stir, the thick mass covers the rim on the tin top, very messy when replacing top as paint is stuck to inside of top and overlapped onto the rim...……..paint stuck to the inside top of lid and that makes a mess when you take top off and it drags like a bogie from tin to where ever it lands on your work surface...……...this will be my last outing with Humbrol………….such a waste of money, I have printed out a number of long labels to apply to my paint stands which read "Do not buy any more Humbrol" just to jog my memory as my existing original  Humbrol paints run out...………..6 racks each holding 30 Humbrol tinlets………..its only the paint made over the last few years or so that the problem appears to be with...…..my recently purchased tins have colour and code number printed on sticker on base of tin...……...

See, I think of it as being better value for money as, once thinned, you'll get 2-3 normal tins worth out of it! I just give it a damn good stir and, if I'm airbrushing, add the paint to my airbrush cup (with thinners already added) a bit at a time using a paintbrush, stirring it in thoroughly. If I'm brush-painting, I decant some paint, again using a brush, into a cleaned plastic milk bottle cap and add thinners to taste. Don't try to thin it in the tin, just do it as and when necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

See, I think of it as being better value for money as, once thinned, you'll get 2-3 normal tins worth out of it! I just give it a damn good stir and, if I'm airbrushing, add the paint to my airbrush cup (with thinners already added) a bit at a time using a paintbrush, stirring it in thoroughly. If I'm brush-painting, I decant some paint, again using a brush, into a cleaned plastic milk bottle cap and add thinners to taste. Don't try to thin it in the tin, just do it as and when necessary.

I use the same method and it works for me, using their luftwaffe colors at the moment and i love these ..

Drying time takes a little longer then the old ones from yesteryear but that time is almost the same as the Xtracolor paint but that also depends on how thick/wet you spray it in case of airbrushing...

 

Cheers, Jan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm in a hurry, I add a drop or two of Rustins Dryers to each lot of thinned paint, either in the airbrush cup or in the milk bottle cap though if I'm airbrushing, I often use cellulose thinners or the general purpose thinners from Lidl. Both of these are too "hot" for brush painting but tend to speed up the drying time of any enamels.

 

Cheers,

Mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add my 2 cents.. I have also been using the new ''wrap around label'' humbrols specifically numbers 155 and 90 it is excellent paint 99% as good as the old stuff..

 

The newer full label stuff :( well i have had some ok tins and some AWFUL tins such as a number 16 gold that could be literally scraped off of the plastic :( and RLM enamels that were actually translucent!! I would not chance it with these tins!

I depend on vintage tins for all painting duties, i had a carrier bag full of super enamel from my younger modeling days but these paints were lost before my return to the hobby, I've been amassing the older stuff when available on ebay since, it is that good i am trying to get a lifetimes supply sorted out ;)  

 

Im going to see what my 109 ww1 blue (wrap around label) is like and report back

 

Cheers lads!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/10/2018 at 22:13, Julien said:

I have picked up a few old collections where people have moved on to Acrylics so hopefully I have enough to last me, the only thing I worry about are my stocks of 53 & 11 ruining out.

Julien I'd have a look on ebay mate.. always lots of old humbrol on there often older 50ml tins of 11.

 

Even if you dont want to faff about bidding there always seems to be joblots of paint on there that work out at around a quid a tin :footy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear somebody else is having luck with the undersized wrap around label tins. If these tins continue being good, perhaps I can keep on using Humbrol...once the colours slowly switch over in the racks anyway...I might have to break in at night and bin all of the other tins. How would you explain that in court? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good news if paint quality has indeed finally improved. I'd love to be able to use Humbrol again, and do a bit more 'retro' brush painting rather than always spraying acrylics.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×