C Scale - have they been and gone?

bootneck

I recently started a 1:72 Sea King kit, which is a step-change from my usual 1:144 builds, and obtained a C Scale conversion set to make an HAS.5.  I quite like this set but I'm not really aware of C Scale stuff, are they still around and producing?  Is there a list of what other conversion kits they produce that I can find on-line?

cheers

Mike

It was a product supplied by Ed Deeley from ED Models back in the eighties

I remember building his Black Buck set to allow him to hang the Airfix Vulcan up in the shop with the latest gear

It had the Shrike missiles and the special carriers for underwing loads

I recall talk too of a Vulcan refuelling gear set, all those glories gone now

I wish I could talk him into restarting some of those items although many of his stock items are now sold by Hannants

Might be worth asking the Big Yellow H if they have a line on the C scale stuff

As far as I know he sold the 'rights' when he sold the business.  😕

I'm sure there must be mileage in some of those, Big H keeps up a steady flow of Airwaves stuff after all

(Must be worth their while too, I've just bought one of their new stock Whirlwind interior set)

That's a trip down memory lane: When I returned to the world of 1/72nd scale aircraft modelling one of the first subjects I attempted was a 360 Squadron Canberra T17 using an Airfix Canberra B2 and the C Scale conversion set, I then finished it with Compucolour paints and the required markings from Modeldecals' sheet number 85.

The other half of the sheet is still in storage until I decide to build an Italian Air Force F-104 Starfighter,

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

Indeed they did Selwyn

When Andrew heard I was going to do my Wasp he offered to search his bits and pieces box to find one for me, good blokes those Deeleys

I must say I do miss my trips to Stratford Rd for a long drawn out natter

:(

• Like 2

On 10/20/2018 at 10:30 AM, Richard E said:

.....  I then finished it with Compucolour paints .......

Has it dried yet ???

Got the C Scale Tornado F.2 conversion along with some Compucolour Paints in the autumn of 1984 from a model shop near The Meadows in Edinburgh , Brougham Street/Place or similar.     My first attempt at such a major conversion requiring cutting the Airfix GR.1 apart for the resin fuselage plug and then the new radar nose but nicely made parts.      Not such fond memories of Compucolour though , no matter how long it was stirred for it still felt tacky after weeks and touching up minor damage only ever seemed to make things worse.     Stuck with it a while for RAF Air Defence Greys on Hawk/Phantom/Lightning but no great loss as the Humbrol range expanded to include these although when last tidied up I still had a couple of tins lying in the bottom of my toolbox.

• Haha 1

I've still got half a dozen C Scale sets in the stash. They were revolutionary when they were first released, and helped start me down (another!) slippery slope - kit conversions (after "Balsa" Hall's unforgettable articles in the original SAM, of course ...). The worst feature of them was that they were made from white metal, so that the completed model weighed a ton!

I have a few,am working on a NF Hornet at the moment using the c scale conversion,also the have a Frog Firefly in hand making it a NF 1.The AEW Skyraider conversion is a future project.If I see them for sale I will usually pick them up.

Still got quite a few in the stash which I bought many years ago and some still very useful bits in them as the white metal was well cast. Only went to the shop a couple of times as was a long way away, but it was good.  They did a really good set of intakes for the Airfix Lynx. 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:03 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

Produced by Ed and Andrew Deeley from E.D. Models of Solihull.

I'm sure that the Deeley's/E.D. Models had a close working relationship with C Scale, but I can't find any reference to them on C Scale literature, which shows C Scale as a registered company in it's own right.

Airwaves stuff on the other hand, always had Distributed by E.D. Models on their literature.

C Scale was RP Henley and VJ Henley of Worcester, and the company was also registered for VAT, which to me implies they had a turnover significantly more than a few conversion kits would generate. If so, what else did they do? The address is residential, so that doesn't give us a clue. I'd rule out model shop as that appears to be the main connection with E.D. Models. Given the high percentage of white metal parts in the kits, were they casting other stuff as well?

• 2 months later...

Hannants sold off what they had about 20 years ago at about tge same time as they did the DB conversions sets.

Ive picked up a few over the years, the only sets ive got now are for the EC-130E and EC-130H which i got from a midel show in Crewe again about 20 years ago.

C Scale stopped a long long time ago, their sets are little know hens teeth

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:01 AM, Dave Swindell said:

I'm sure that the Deeley's/E.D. Models had a close working relationship with C Scale, but I can't find any reference to them on C Scale literature, which shows C Scale as a registered company in it's own right.

Airwaves stuff on the other hand, always had Distributed by E.D. Models on their literature.

C Scale was RP Henley and VJ Henley of Worcester, and the company was also registered for VAT, which to me implies they had a turnover significantly more than a few conversion kits would generate. If so, what else did they do? The address is residential, so that doesn't give us a clue. I'd rule out model shop as that appears to be the main connection with E.D. Models. Given the high percentage of white metal parts in the kits, were they casting other stuff as well?

They also made 1/43 metal cars and small scale waterline boats (sold in the same white boxes), probably accounted for larger turnover. I've seen the cars going for a bit on ebay before. 

Colin

• Like 1