1/72 Grumman X-29 - Completed

Dermo245

Hello all,

While I've a few Grumman's to build and a Tomcat was really appealing, I never thought I would get it done in time so going for something a bit simpler. You can read more about this design here.

43597145450_b5909d67c5_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_box by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

44499113825_252ed8ec22_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_contents_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Just a couple of small sprues, a clear sprue and the decals and that's it.

43597144190_7611c76ee8_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_contents_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Going OOB on this and trying to get a clean, tidy build. 
And getting ready for the inevitable "aren't-the-wings-on-backwards" gags 🙄😂

Cheers and good luck with your builds!
Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing links
  • Like 7

i have one to that I was going to build a couple years ago, never did, want to practice painting white a bit first. I also got or will get
(forget) an F-18 cockpit for it since it's very similar and exhaust nozzle. Myself I don't like the decal and basic cockpit, unless it can be tweaked nicely.

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Thanks 1

Great subject choice Dermot :speak_cool:

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

i have one to that I was going to build a couple years ago, never did, want to practice painting white a bit first. I also got or will get
(forget) an F-18 cockpit for it since it's very similar and exhaust nozzle. Myself I don't like the decal and basic cockpit, unless it can be tweaked nicely.

Think you'd be better getting an F-5 'pit as the forward fuselage was basically nicked off one of those ;) 

In fact if I recall correctly the X-29 was something of a mongrel hybrid of various bits.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Col. said:

Great subject choice Dermot :speak_cool:

Think you'd be better getting an F-5 'pit as the forward fuselage was basically nicked off one of those ;) 

In fact if I recall correctly the X-29 was something of a mongrel hybrid of various bits.

I was thinking F-18 for some reason, I think i saw a picure that was mislabeled. I just looked again and it is a simple guage cockpit.

Seat, don't know whay was used, maybe he kit one is good.

Edited by busnproplinerfan

3 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I was thinking F-18 for some reason, I think i saw a picure that was mislabeled. I just looked again and it is a simple guage cockpit.

Seat, don't know whay was used, maybe he kit one is good.

The seat was a standard F-5 unit as well I think. I used to have a great walkaround book with loads of photos back in the pre-internet days but lent it to someone and never got it back :( 

6 hours ago, Col. said:

The seat was a standard F-5 unit as well I think. I used to have a great walkaround book with loads of photos back in the pre-internet days but lent it to someone and never got it back :( 

I'm sure it would work, forget how thwe X-29 seat looks, might be ok. I just thought of all this because Hasegawa kits usually have a decal for the instrument panel. It's up to Dermo what he wants to do. I'm sure it'll look good however it's done.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

So too many builds on at one go means a mad dash to be finished on time..

Cockpit OOB.

47003580301_bcd63a296a_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_build_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Seat done up and ready to button up.

47003580261_80d03c7eb7_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_build_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Fuselage joined up

46089733985_46d0387f75_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_build_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Paint on and this is where the problems started.

For some reason, after a couple of coats the white had a kind of cream hue to it which was weird. So I stripped the paint back to the primer, cleaned and went with a new can of white (spray can).......and the same, not so brilliant white result.

47003580341_b4d7f3fb40_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_build_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I couldn't be bothered doing all that again so have decided to go with it and decal. The Hasegawa decals are very sticky and tended to break so some areas to patch up. 

47003580251_885531bd7a_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_build_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Not my best by a long way ☹️

Thanks for looking,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Language my dear boy!
  • Like 3

And so with the last bits added, decals fixed in a few places and some panel lines picked out with a pencil, she's done!

47050302961_7cd4e2c503_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_finish_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

46998205482_0ed2f0a9c8_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_finish_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

46998204322_cb099d6c37_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_finish_7r by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Really enjoyed doing something a bit different even if I messed up on the decals. And being an X-plane, I had to take one photo with the X-32 I built previously..

46326367454_1bb1c7af53_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_finish_10r by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

46998204972_a8ea8d2a3d_b.jpgHasegawa Grumman X-29_finish_14 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

More photos in the Gallery, thanks to the hosts for hosting, well done on all the great Grumman builds and here's to the next one.

Happy modelling,

Dermot

• Like 6