Lysander Fuselage Length Q

Ossington 2

Are ALL Lysanders 30' 6" long? I ask because the Mk II, fitted with a Bristol Perseus, had a shorter cowl chord. Now, this to me, would result in a shorter fuselage than that for a Mk. I or III. I can't see the difference being made up by spinner length or longer cowling gills. Is the engine mounted further forward? Maybe I can't recognise the change in photos as most images (and Restorations) are of III's. Does anyone know for sure please? 

I'm away from my references, but my first question is why should the Perseus have a shorter cowl?  They are both single-row Bristol engines with, I believe (open to correction) the same size cylinders.  I'd suggest that In design principles they are much the same engine but the Perseus has sleeve valves whereas the Mercury has poppets.  OK, they differ considerably in detail.

Much discussion. with some drawings and photos. in an old thread here:

I can't vouch for any of it personally but have always had it in the back of  my mind that there were differences in the cowl, over and above the presence or absence of the blisters.

there was a different length of engine cowling and the space between the windscreen and the back end of the cowl changed to accommodate that.  I talk about it somewhere with drawings in my Lysander build - probably a few pages in

Hendie and others! A virtual pint to you all! That is exactly what I was after. So the overall fuselage lengths didn't differ (30' 6") but the forward fuselage of the Mk II was lengthened between cockpit and gills to compensate for the Perseus's cowling chord being shorter and enable a match to the overall length of that of Mercury powered machines.  The gills Iook identical in size on all craft to me, excepting that there is no cut out on top for the MkII. Oh, I think there is some difference in side glazing framing too. I too didn't realise the paucity of MkII info compared to I's and III's until I started looking.

Will you ever contemplate a 28 Sqn Venom?   

15 hours ago, Ossington said:

I think there is some difference in side glazing framing too.

indeed.  The sliding window for the gunner/observer/passenger is different on each version

15 hours ago, Ossington said:

Will you ever contemplate a 28 Sqn Venom?   

just bought a Venom and a Vampire about two weeks ago - they're in the queue