A6E Intruder

Graham77

Evening all, here is my entry the A-6E Intruder. I picked this up fairly cheap and thought it would look good in my 1/72 US Navy jets.........however on closer inspection I have decided to turn it into a bit of an experiment to share in this GB. The kit doesn’t seem great and has some large raised panel lines, so first up I’ll try removing and rescribing  those🤔😦. Hopefully then I’ll get a chance to fire up the airbrush and try that out too and drift away from the faithful hairy sticks. Hopefully a fun adventure whatever the outcome with a audience full of good advice for two new techniques. Here are the pics...watch this space.

45347168571_1b8f7c8179_b.jpg

Plenty to clean up before the rescribing starts, here is one of many examples

44624017864_8c1eb4ed8f_b.jpg

may have to fish out “Flight of the Intruder” and a bottle of red for a few evenings of sanding and scribing.

Cheers for now

Graham

• Like 4

You're obviusly a man who likes a challenge! 

The Hasegawa kit is ancient now - the biggest drawback is the canopy. Molded in two parts to get the bulged cross section, you'll have a nice join line right through a clear section to deal with. 

Cheers,

Andre

I remember buying this kit in an original Hasegawa/Hales boxing from a huge modelshop in Ipswich, the year Ipswich won the FA cup under the captaincy of Mick Mills and managed by Bobby Robson? About 1981? Looking forward to see this built up. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well I may have taken on a bit too much here, but let’s see what happens. There is plenty of detail on this but all raised, I’ve had a go at the wings and tailplane and will get the fuselage together before having a go at that. The dry fit looks like it’ll require a good bit of filler so once it is done I’ll start the slow scribing job. (If I can find a box set long enough) Have a couple of resin seats on the way to liven up the cockpit and hopefully distract from the small line down part of the canopy. Hopefully they’ll arrive soon so I can get this closed up and then see how much more work there is to go.

45827461602_a0c5b954c7_b.jpg

Enough for now, thank you for looking

Graham

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I’m having a break from scribing and have started on the cockpit. Here it is as it came.

45378704094_f87b9eea05_b.jpg

next up some destruction to remove the kit seats and rebuild the back wall and a quick check of the canopy and the seats cleaned up ready for some paint.

32231469448_416cb60114_b.jpg

Then I added some imaginary detail to the area behind the seats to try and detract from the big seam at the front of the canopy.

32269104528_0a10c17988_b.jpg

clearly not for the A6 purist but hopefully some paint and some decals and the cockpit will look good enough for this model!

back to the paint shop!

Cheers

Graham

• Like 2

Next up was the fiddly etch for the seats, hopefully it’ll be worth it once it’s all closed up

45313202185_29cbfe59ef_b.jpg

And inserted into the cockpit

46225969031_134ce3cbdc_b.jpg

Next up is to get the fuselage closed up and start the task of filling, cleaning up and rescribing the more prominent panel lines. (Got a riveting tool this week as all the pics seem to show some fairly prominent rivets aswell). Let the experiment continue!

Cheers for now

Graham

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Progress has been slowly and mainly involved sanding, however we are getting close to the priming stage.

46927243372_2dfaaeaf6c_b.jpg

I just need to find enough time in the next day or so to get this all stuck together, primed and see how many more panel lines need scribing back in to see if it stands a chance of catching a wire in the GB Gallery.

Back to the cutting mat

Graham

• Like 1