1/72 Chance Vought F4U-1a "Corsair", Tamiya+Eduard+Aires

Fuad

Nice.  That one was working is the tropics, eh?  Faded and sun-bleached.  Nice to see a Corsair in something other than navy blue... I didn't have the imagination when I built mine!  (A bloke at my RC flying club has a beautiful 1/6 Corsair with scale retracts the go back and rotate instead of the Spitfire-esque fold out system they  usually use... an engineering nightmare.  The poor thing hardly ever flies, though, it's always on its back while he tinkers with the undercarriage trying to get it to work!)

6 hours ago, zegeye said:

Beautifull Fuad, what technic did you use to simmulate the salt marks? And it will be great to know what is from Eduard and what from Aires 😉

Salt marks made from real salt technic. Eduard etched set https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED73291 and Aires  https://www.super-hobby.ru/products/F4U-1-Corsair-flaps-Tamiya.html 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:38 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

What did you use for Voughts Pink/salmon primer color ? 

Dennis,

Found this the other day, and your post reminded me of it- pretty interesting, don't you think? The discussion is also enlightening. If they could drain Lake Michigan, think of all the USN  aircraft that could be recovered and restored- must be hundreds down there!

Mike

https://imodeler.com/2014/07/f4u-1-salmon-vs-zinc-chromate-primer/

Fuad,

What can I say? What an incredible build! Put that puppy in front of a Pacific airstrip background picture and do it in b&w and you could not tell your model from a real Corsair! It is so hard to do an extremely weathered model in 1/72 scale, but you have obviously mastered the skill! :mike:

BTW, your Corsair is and F4U-1D, right? I thought that the step in the RH inboard flap wasn't introduced until the late production Goodyear-built FG-1D's. I am probably misinformed but maybe @Tailspin Turtle or @Dana Bell can correct me. I remember having to fill it when I did my 1/72 Hasegawa birdcage F4U-1.

Mike

17 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

The discussion is also enlightening. If they could drain Lake Michigan, think of all the USN  aircraft that could be recovered and restored

The’ve pulled up about a dozen over the last 20-30 years some for static restoration like that of “Butch’s” wildcat at O’hare Int’l. Airport. Which im proud to say i’ve helped on in a very small way (part of a museum staff in a different lifetime). They’ve used some of the wrecks for static restorations, others have been used to make new dies. Have you been to the Air Zoo in Kalamazoo Michagan ? Theres a 1/72 model of the U.S.S. Wolverine there. Impressive to say the least. 

Dennis

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

BTW, your Corsair is and F4U-1D, right? I thought that the step in the RH inboard flap wasn't introduced until the late production Goodyear-built FG-1D's. I am probably misinformed but maybe @Tailspin Turtle or @Dana Bell can correct me. I remember having to fill it when I did my 1/72 Hasegawa birdcage F4U-1.

Mike

According to Dana Bell, who can be relied on for accuracy, the step was added to the right inboard flap toward the end of both F4U-1D production (BuNo 82527) and FG-1D production (BuNo 87872). It was originally fitted with a flush fold-in cover but this was subsequently removed after the war. Of course, earlier Corsairs might have been fitted with a replacement flap with a step at some point and the cover might have been removed before a formal order was issued.

• Thanks 1