"Cloud, Cold and Contrails" - RAF Boeing Fortress 1

Rabbit Leader

On Easter Monday, 1941, a new shape appeared over Britain. It was a Boeing Flying Fortress. In the hands of Major Walsh, U.S.A.A.C, it flew from America to Ayr in record time, 8 hours 26 minutes. On 30 April Walsh brought AN521 into Watton and a new phase in the air war was born. 

This is the first paragraph of Chapter 10 "Cloud, Cold and Contrails" which appears in Michael J.F Bowyer's book 2 Group RAF, A Complete History, 1936-45. I've probably read this chapter more than any other as it gives a good account of the trails and mainly tribulations of the largest aircraft ever to be flown by No.2 Group during it's Daylight Bombing campaign of WW2. I've had the book since January 1989 and ever since then have wanted to build a Boeing Fortress 1. My edition of this kit must also be getting on as well as I'd say I've had it for well over 20 years. So now with the help and hopefully enthusiasm of all the other B-17 Group builders I will attempt to build and finish this kit once and for all. 

I've obtained a few references here and there, most of which adds more confusion to what colours these aircraft were really painted in. I'II do some real homework a little later on once I get to the painting stage, however so far the options are anything from the TLS Green, Earth, Sky to TSS uppers and something called 'Cosmic' Blue undersides? It should be fun trying to decipher all this as the build progresses. 

Here are some photo's of the basic Academy kit (I didn't photograph the butchered box) and I also have a set of Squadron canopies (that I probably won't use), some Aviation USK decals (look quite dull) and Quickboost engine fronts which I've just discovered are for the B-17G? I won't tell anyone if you don't!! 

Now I'm also committed to a few builds in the current Pacific War GB, so won't promise that I'll make a start when this show kicks off in a day or two. 

Looking forward to seeing some really nice Fortress' being built, so let's get going chaps. 

Cheers.. Dave

44676577114_6d3c608888_b.jpg

44672511004_3f0ed7ced7_b.jpg

44672510994_5be5a2a2be_b.jpg

45349508532_0704e6fa1e_b.jpg

45349507492_d4bdac9889_b.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks @stevehnz, nice of you to pop on by. It’ll be (if finished?) my largest build for quite some time and makes a big change from all those single engined jobs I’ve been doing of late. Wish me luck!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I'll be following this build, for sure. I have this booklet, though I don't think it would contain any more information than you already have. I also have the old USK decals.

44686565584_acb2691ac3_b.jpg

Italeri also did a re-pop of the Academy kit a few years back that had the RAF decal option.

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Boeing-B-17C-Flying-Fortress-Mark-I.html

Chris

• Like 3

On 10/18/2018 at 7:20 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

it gives a good account of the trails and mainly tribulations of the largest aircraft ever to be flown by No.2 Group during it's Daylight Bombing campaign of WW2.

I didn't think that they did an awful lot of bombing, being 'relegated' to Coastal Command within months of arriving.. ...interesting subject though!

Brilliant choice Dave

If I manage to get decals for my kit , I'll make sure it's a different version to yours. Likely Coastal Command.

I look forward to you showing me how to build this one, so no pressure eh ! :wicked:

cheers Pat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

If I manage to get decals for my kit , I'll make sure it's a different version to yours. Likely Coastal Command

Build whatever you fancy Pat.

Mine will be a No. 90 Sqn bomber, however there's a large range of colours and schemes that these Fortresses wore during their brief period of service with No.2 Group.

You know that Xtradecals produce a sheet of British B-17's and B-24's "Yanks with Roundels - Part 5" . There's three Fortress 1's included, the CC verision will need some Antenna masts (possibly from an Airfix Whitley?). 

I'll look forward to seeing your build as well.

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 3