Flying Fortress Mk111

Jabba

A small update in that I have now finished the sanding of the fuselage, mainly the bomb bay, ball turret plug and tail turret. I have also made the cut out in the rear part of the tail turret and this will be filled later with Kristal Klear or something similar see last photo. The wings are not glued on at the moment, just they to see how they fit.

resized_cf1beb42-e58d-4713-bf2d-79ff3b6b

resized_f1950dbb-9348-4d50-a8cc-c61d8c25

resized_3b868d87-2ba0-4711-adbc-c0157a5a

• Like 5

Jabba

Looking very good. I thought about using Krstal Klear or Elmers Clear on the tail turret also. But I felt after a test that it wouldn't come out the way I wanted it. 

In any case good luck and hope it works for you.

I'm done with all the Eduard mask. Now all that's left to mask are the bombay, engines, wheel wells and waist gun openings.

I will be assembling the plane tomorrow then mask those area off.

Then I'll prime it  and then leave it cure while finishing off the other bits such as the landing gear and bombay doors.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wings now fitted, and again a little filling to do. For some unknown reason I did lose a small square part from one of the exhausts. I don't know how this happened as I have trial fitted these wings many a time before. I will try and make another from spare plastic rod and square extrusion that I have. I also have all the windows fitted and added the Eduard masks for them although a few did seem a little bigger than the aperture that they are covering.

resized_aeb692ad-09eb-450c-a633-31f156ec

resized_e6c618ef-3575-46ce-82b5-d9935b19

resized_681c674f-5aeb-4d6d-9ff7-ec435515

resized_5fea2c99-c260-4708-8640-9e631af1

• Like 9

Looking GREAT Jabba!

Sorry to hear about the flame damper going MIA but it should be fairly straight forward to replicate.

Mine has completed final prime. I will leave it for a couple of days before doing the color. Before the prime I spray all the joints silver to

see any imperfections. It can look pretty ugly but it makes them easier to see. All this is with the idea of someday I will do a natural metal one. 

So now is the best time to see where the problem areas are.while doing this camouflaged one.

I also have the landing gear and wheels painted as well as the bombay doors.

While the prime cures I will finish off the crank case covers and props as well as paint the tires. Then it's off to the paint shop.

All the Best!

Don

Put some paint on her yesterday with a Humbrol rattle can. This afternoon I added some Blu Tack sausage rolls to aide the masking. As I have only done this once before (normally a hairy stick user to apply paint) what is the best way to cover the green. Last time I used something like Maskol (not exactly but something similar), which was resumably successful but I have seen other modellers use low tack tape. Does anyone have a preference? Anyway that is for tomorrow. I used the Airfix colour plan for this as the Kits World sheet may have been different but was too small to see clearly even under an enlarger. 

resized_522723bb-2e6d-4073-8ccb-7d5924dc

resized_903d4fce-155d-439f-b65b-c8fc9c4a

• Like 7

Looking good jabba, are you airbrushing now then? No quick way to do that masking I'm afraid, a tedious but rewarding job, a large bottle of artists masking medium from the range for smaller areas and hard to get to corners, or tamiya masking tape

7 hours ago, Hewy said:

Looking good jabba, are you airbrushing now then? No quick way to do that masking I'm afraid, a tedious but rewarding job, a large bottle of artists masking medium from the range for smaller areas and hard to get to corners, or tamiya masking tape

No  I am using Humbrol rattle cans, as I had them left over from another model so I thought that I would use them. I have gone with Tamiya tape and done the brown, and will remove later to se the results.

• Like 3

Now with the brown painted and the masking removed, which did not take any paint off much to my relief. There are a couple of patches where the brown has got onto where it should be green and one of the pieces of sponge covering an engine disappeared so that is now brown, the two patches have now been painted out the engine will wait a little while. Now to mask this all off for the black paint, for which I have bought a Humbrol rattle can for.

resized_ce7a3146-8b40-44ff-b677-662609e5

resized_e9abafa7-a3eb-4f0f-93ed-21b2781f

• Like 7

Again many thanks for all your kind words.

I put on last night, after a little reference to the build by Tony O, the major decals. I have used the ones by Kits World although I am not sure that the nose art colouring is quite correct compared with Tony's build. I had put this one on before using his build for reference. The main reason I consulted his build was the way in which the coding was place, and to be honest I am still not sure if this is correct. I know in his build the coding was different to the one supplied in the kit and this sheet, but the sheet that he used is unavailable and I just do not have the time to go searching for it, plus this was meant to be built OOB. Still it may not be totally correct but it looks fine to me.

resized_b72b61e7-6879-4a0e-82bf-6a1b9a24

resized_b80bf905-53b5-43ae-8b5c-ebc787ad

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Any chance to get a closer look at the nose art?

Yet again thanks for your kind words.

A couple of close ups of the nose art. Sorry but the second one is a bit on the blurry side.

resized_43ca5fc0-59fe-4c48-95c8-c2cced4f

resized_53f12076-b2bf-47f7-8c77-2c8e02c0

• Like 6

I have now applied most of the stencils (apart from the props), but will not take a picture of these as I can hardly see them so I do not think that would be worthwhile. I am wondering about some weathering, but a I have said at the beginning of this build this is not my era, so a little help on where and what would be very appreciative. I do not have any oils or the such like, I normally just do some dry brushing where appropriate, but I am not sure of colours on this one. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jabba said:

I have now applied most of the stencils (apart from the props), but will not take a picture of these as I can hardly see them so I do not think that would be worthwhile. I am wondering about some weathering, but a I have said at the beginning of this build this is not my era, so a little help on where and what would be very appreciative. I do not have any oils or the such like, I normally just do some dry brushing where appropriate, but I am not sure of colours on this one. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jabba,

The pictures I have seen of these particular aircraft is that they were relatively clean...except for one typical B-17 trait and that is the exhaust staining. I use an airbrush to depict these. They can be done with weathering powders.  As an alternative artist chalks or colored pencils rubbed on some sandpaper to create a powder would work applied with a cotton swab or a very soft brush.  A little bit of grime on the tires and wheel wells would not be amiss also. I would not try dry brushing as it would be too harsh.

All the Best!

Don

15 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Jabba,

The pictures I have seen of these particular aircraft is that they were relatively clean...except for one typical B-17 trait and that is the exhaust staining. I use an airbrush to depict these. They can be done with weathering powders.  As an alternative artist chalks or colored pencils rubbed on some sandpaper to create a powder would work applied with a cotton swab or a very soft brush.  A little bit of grime on the tires and wheel wells would not be amiss also. I would not try dry brushing as it would be too harsh.

All the Best!

Don

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I will not have any access to any of those products before this GB finishes, so I will just have to do the dry brushing lark very lightly. Whereabouts is the exhaust staining on a B-17?

Edited by Jabba