Cadilliac Desperado

So, i was travelling with work one time to Texas and, as i had some spare time, i wandered around a flea market one Sunday morning. My eye was taken by a pile of 1950's magazines titled "Cars and the Apocalypse".  They were full of ways to alter current cars to meet the demands of a 1950's imagined post apocalyptic USA which, of course, had easy access to lots of old WW2 hardware.

I was particularly taken with the plans for a half-track conversion of the Cadillac Eldorado.

This is my effort to recreate a barn find Cadillac Desperado left all abandoned and rusting after the apocalypse failed to happen in the 50 years since then.

IMG_8851_zps7dps1sau.jpg

IMG_8850_zpsvnhpxmji.jpg

IMG_8848_zpsvgeh7nge.jpg

IMG_8854_zpswdmwjl2g.jpg

IMG_8852_zps6wjqqlom.jpg

The base kit is the old Revell Cadillac Eldorado heavily modified.  The half-track set up is from a Panther with the second engine from a Jaguar 3.4L

Edited by Alchemy
additional text and pictures
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Great job. There were some weird minds back then. Is that a '58 Eldorado? 

John.

Hi John

No, its the '57 Eldorado Brougham.  A truly terrible kit in really brittle hard plastic that i picked up.  It had been started with thick enamel silver paint (H11 i suspect) splashed on the chromework...  This seemed the best use of it :)

And thanks everybody for the comments.  Now i have had time to think about it, i really should break one of the tracks and put some strips of perished rubber around the front left wheel to finish it off and make it look totally abandoned.

Alan

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alchemy said:

No, its the '57 Eldorado Brougham.  A truly terrible kit in really brittle hard plastic that i picked up.  It had been started with thick enamel silver paint (H11 i suspect) splashed on the chromework...  This seemed the best use of it

When I was stationed in Singapore in the late 60's, there was a store in the city that sold loads of American car kits in 1/25th scale. Johan I think dominated the shelves. Because I grew up in the 50's, loving American cars, I had many of them. De Soto, Chrysler, Fairlane 500 & Galaxy, Imperial, Fury and several more. They were very good kits for their time. Happy days.

John.

• Like 1