1/72 Revell Lancaster "Phantom of the Ruhr"

Many thanks are owed to the West Glamorgan Model Club for once again ripping me out of my comfort zone !

RAF Centenary competition time and very little in the stash that I could stick an RAF cheatline onto! As a result, I resorted to building the 1/72 Revell Lancaster using an Eduard etched set for the interior, replacement CMK wheels and Quickboost gun barrels, and finishing it off with markings from an Xtradecal sheet. Job done :

sm0tltI.jpg

I did have a go at correcting the kit's wing dihedral and I couldn't resist the temptation to use Mrs M's hairdryer on the props !

Standard 4 x 4 walkaround :

cY5ZQpll.jpg4421CgVl.jpg

lODlC45l.jpg

Y7rGVCXl.jpg

...with a side profile to end off :

Bqw5wny.jpg

Brought back happy memories of the Airfix Lancaster that my dad built, when I was a lot younger than I am now.

Thanks for looking.

mike

• Like 72

Mike,

Awesome Lanc! Beautiful finish and you got the stains on the outboard engines outer exhausts right! If there was a background photo behind the pic with the engines running in b&w, it would be very hard not to tell it from the real thing! Well done. One would not think Airfix, of all kitmakers, would make the mistake with the dihedral.

Mike

• Like 1

Beautiful rendition of the Lancaster and those spinning props got me excited thinking you had installed electric motors  . . . .

One minor correction needed; Only ONE gas patch needed, the one on the starboard side could be painted over.

Thanks for sharing 

Ian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

One would not think Airfix, of all kitmakers, would make the mistake with the dihedral

They didn't Mike, it's a Revell kit, but that's nearly as bad

Just now, Redstaff said:

They didn't Mike, it's a Revell kit, but that's nearly as bad

Whoops- Dunno why I posted the wrong kit...too many years using Revell Type S cement in an enclosed space, I reckon! (Not ashamed to admit I still have two tubes of the stuff- best tube glue ever, IMHO!)

Mike

• Haha 4

Many thanks for the generous comments - much appreciated.

On 10/17/2018 at 5:27 PM, 72modeler said:

If there was a background photo behind the pic with the engines running in b&w, it would be very hard not to tell it from the real thing!

Thanks Mike. No background pic, but now appearing in black and white :

ppHYnrb.jpg

On 10/17/2018 at 5:32 PM, Mancunian airman said:

One minor correction needed; Only ONE gas patch needed, the one on the starboard side could be painted over.

Thanks Ian. Proves that decal marking guides are not always right and more research needs to be completed.

On 10/17/2018 at 7:07 PM, nick32 said:

Lovely job, did it go together well? I've got one lurking in the stash that i keep thinking about building. 

Went together okay although the main undercarriage legs were really fiddly. Plenty of plastic for your money !

On 10/17/2018 at 10:53 PM, keefr22 said:

And what he's too modest to say was that beauty was the joint winner!

Damn K ! Thank heavens G-man doesn't post pics or the masses would be crying foul of the voting system !😁

On 10/18/2018 at 12:27 AM, celt said:

I tried the hair dryer trick once,but it melted the props.:doh:I cant see any cheatlines:lol:Well tidy mun.:goodjob:

No cheatlines mate. Long time, no see ? (or hear ?) 🤣

mike

• Like 2

Beautifully done Lanc with an excellent finish :worthy: (especially the correctly done exhaust stains :worthy:) pity Revell got the dihedral wrong :shrug: but it's not that difficult to remedy when you can end up with a Lanc this good :worthy::worthy: