Spitfire A-Go-Go and the Revell 1/72nd Spitfire Mk.IIa, new tool...

I have added the landing gear torque links.  The kit didn't supply them and they weren't moulded on.  Perhaps the Mk.II did not have them?  Or perhaps this was an experimental plane with the new landing gear...I couldn't leave it alone.😉

44729594084_93d1a58679_z_d.jpg

The Duck Egg Green band...sorry for the focus...

30514026837_766d70a00d_z_d.jpg

Masked for the Medium Sea Grey, fuselage band included, and the paint applied.

44539764645_22c9d53650_z_d.jpg

Tomorrow, the topside!

--John

• Like 4

Ready for the Grey-Blue, the first of two colours topside.  I'll have some slight weathering around the engine compartment, the wing panels and the pilot's entry port side.

43653901160_27d23c1723_z_d.jpg

And the Grey-Blue.  I researched the RAF colour and its Vallejo equivalent and, I must say, it is darker than I imagined it would be.  Very blue as well.  I think once it has dried and the Dark Green is applied it will look much different.  I hope.  One note, the Vallejo Air Grey-Blue was quite thick and required a fair amount of thinning before it would spray well.

30530776647_8c26a184f2_z_d.jpg

I'll leave this for some time before attempting the green. I will also study Procopious' Spitfire thread for the masking pattern/technique and try to duplicate this to the best of my ability.

--John

• Like 5

Nope.  Don't like that one bit.  Too blue, too dark...all wrong IMHO.  So under the faucet it goes with some dish soap and some light scrubbing back to the primer as best I can.  I will try a darker grey...I have London Grey which matches a Dark Sea Grey best.

43654555140_c6595d5e40_z_d.jpg

Crossed fingers!

• Like 3

I always use Tamiya XF-81 “Ocean Gray 2(RAF) for the grey in Day Fighter Scheme.  Not that helps if you don’t have it to hand!

cheers

Will

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I have Tamiya Ocean Grey 2 RAF (XF-82)...same?

Yes I meant 82!  Looks ok in your photo.

cheers

will

I am very happy with this...

30538221037_3d6596004f_z_d.jpg

On the other hand, today was cleaning day.  I swept, mopped, dusted, mopped again...shook out the rugs, cleaned out the makeshift spray booth...somewhere along the way the landing gear, fully assembled, went West, as they say.  I have little choice but to use the gear set from the Mk.V Revell kit.   I think they are identical anyway.  

Dammit.  I'm not giving up on finding them yet!

30538223537_a0e7f74855_z_d.jpg

Dammit.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

While the replacement landing gear are trying, I figured I'd start in on some decals.  Topside first, and not too many. The roundels looks good!

44578084395_343af19f04_z_d.jpg

I'll see what an hour with the Micro-Sol does.  They are somewhat thick, very much like the Airfix decals.

--John

• Like 5

The decals are going (went) on quite well, with no hiccups.  One thing that was puzzling me...how to attach the machine gun coverings (little red squares).  The decal material was quite thick which meant that the physics of bending the very small decal was problematic.  My solution (pun intended!) was to dip them in the Micro-Sol instead of water, thus making them very soft.  Then, one side on the wing and gently brush the opposite side down until it stayed in place.  It seemed to have worked.

I'll post more pictures soon.  

44579331395_5244d534e8_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

The decals look good.

30557491367_78f3da93fc_z_d.jpg

Gun covers, exhaust stacks...

30557490237_2efd19ab64_z_d.jpg

The underside was fine but the roundels needed a lot of solvent to conform to the detail over which they laid (or is that 'lie'...I am really not sure...)

44584026435_7869f28617_z_d.jpg

And finally the Mk.V landing gear that will replace the lost set.  Very sad.  I fear the Revell Mk. V kit will remain a 'parts only' box now that I have used both landing gear and elements of the decal sheet on this build!  The wheels are actually from an AZ spares sprue. I am also using the tail wheel from the Revell MK.V.  It is better moulded than what I have.

44772347494_b59ea633a7_z_d.jpg

I will wrap this up tonight and peruse my Spitfire stack for the next instalment of 'Spitfire A-Go-Go'...!

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 6

Well...the Mk.IIa is done and things are drying their last.  I'll post pictures tomorrow when there is better light to photograph.  Too dark here right now.  In the meantime...

Having checked the stacks and determined that if I want to build another Spitfire I have plenty of decals (Syrian, Egyptian, Israeli, Norwegian, etc...), plenty of kits (mostly Mk. IX/XVI), I decided to do something else.  Yes, it's technically a Spitfire, and yes it is British ad I get to do post-war and invasion stripes!  

45500423791_6f3e459de0_z_d.jpg

It comes with a full assortment of pointed sticks and Holy Hand Grenades.  Anyone built this kit yet?  Any pitfalls to avoid?  The kit itself looks well designed and chock full of PE and other things. And ultimately, it's a Spitfire.  

--John

• Like 7

8 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I'll see what an hour with the Micro-Sol does.  They are somewhat thick, very much like the Airfix decals.

--John

Seems strange, because Revellcals always seemed to work fine for me, until two days ago, when I used two roundels which didn't even sink into the panel lines.

Anyways, much luck with your build, I'm sure those landing gears will show up eventually.

The fuselage roundel is from an older Revell Mk V and it sunk down very well.  The rest are from the 'newer' moulds.  They worked well, but it required a lot of Micro-Sol.

I made new gear.  What was lost will stay lost...oh well.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

It comes with a full assortment of pointed sticks and Holy Hand Grenades.  Anyone built this kit yet?  Any pitfalls to avoid?  The kit itself looks well designed and chock full of PE and other things. And ultimately, it's a Spitfire.  

I have. I'm not a fan. The wing shape is to my eye very noticeably wrong about the tips, and it's too short. The canopy, IIRC, also is meant to be modelled open and it was a bear to try and do it closed.