Spitfire A-Go-Go and the Revell 1/72nd Spitfire Mk.IIa, new tool...

As I continue with my Spitfire A-Go-Go, I turn away from the foreign-based, post-war craft (all that garlic and spices!)to something more OOB and closer to home for the Spitfire.  The Revell 1/72nd scale Spitfire looks good.  I think it is a new tool and we have Eduard and other companies to thank for making Revell and Airfix stand up and make better kits with much better detail and accuracy.  This is a good example.  The kit comes with only one option, which is oddly comforting.  So I will be building the Mk.IIa from the Air Fighting Development Unit, RAF, Duxford (the plans say 'Doxford'), England, April 1942.

43544627140_258bdf44db_z_d.jpg

The detail looks good all around with very little flash.  I have already primed the sprues.

45386008151_94c063260b_z_d.jpg

45386007551_684af17a40_z_d.jpg

wee bit of flash on the pedals...

45335256822_0c818a987a_z_d.jpg

A bit of flash around the rudder trim and I will take care removing it!

44662244344_8baa9982c9_z_d.jpg

Large rivets.  Is this accurate on the Mk.IIa?

44471980975_d899fa27a1_z_d.jpg

Wing tips are supplied...I think they use this kit for their Mk.V series as well.  The kit is supplied with blunt tips to attach if one wishes to build that kit.

45335255042_57442d0a54_z_d.jpg

The decals look ok except for the fuselage roundels which are terribly out of register.  I will have to find a replacement.  They dropped the ball here, I think.

44471977825_297857d740_z_d.jpg

I'll start in on her this evening...

--John

• Like 8

If one were to think of these rivets as being in scale, they would be the size of snooker balls.

With and without. They popped off quite easily with the edge of a blade...

43590572040_125d2c6fe2_z_d.jpg

The office is ready to put together.  Just allowing the glue to set up.  Note that the tail wheel is moulded into the port half of the fuselage.  This, IMHO , is a bad design idea.  It's out of date, really, with Revell's competitors.

45355946092_0e2392e529_z_d.jpg

And the wings are assembled and setting up.  I'll attach the tips this evening.

43590571050_231eae141f_z_d.jpg

So far so good.  There is some light flash and I am not keen on the cockpit assembly although there is good detail..  I feel that KoPro/AZModel kits are better and Airfix as well.  The plastic is very soft.  The tail wheel-to-fuselage moulding idea is out of date.  And the rivets.  And the out-of-register roundels.  However, I do think it will build into a nice little model with a small amount of TLC and care.  More anon...

--John

• Like 6

Closed the fuselage, intakes on the underside of the wing, landing gear prepped, bits and pieces...this evening I'll mask the canopy pieces and attach the wings to the fuselage, canopy to fuselage, etc...re-prime tomorrow.  

The fuselage fit was quite good with no significant gaps.  There was some minor flash along the seam, easily rectified.

A test fit of the wing proved a tight fit in need of some clamping on the washout to insure a clean line.  There is a seam along the wing roots, but no gaps, which is nice.  

Don't you just love the shape of the wing?  

31546644258_b347a77955_z_d.jpg

Could someone please tell me the differences between the 2 windscreens?  The instructions have the '?' mark.  Which one should I use and why?

45370863452_fb6203640f_z_d.jpg

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Could someone please tell me the differences between the 2 windscreens?  The instructions have the '?' mark.  Which one should I use and why?

A appears to be the earlier external armoured screen while B looks like the later internal armoured screen.  Box art shows the earlier type in use which would be correct for an as-built MkII.

Edit: Picture found online looks like it was retrofitted with the later type by the time it was with the AFDU.

Edited by Deve
  • Thanks 2

Perhaps just the unarmoured and external armoured?  The internal windscreen had the sidelights extended and met the fuselage in a straight line rather than as a curve.  This was introduced on the Mk.III, and like the other modifications didn't reach production until the Mk.Vc.  It would be surprising to see the later windscreen on an earlier airframe because of the associated rework on the fuselage, it doesn't seem worth it.  Perhaps they'd run out of spare external armour screens?

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Thanks 1

Interested to see this, thanks for sharing. I'm just finishing one of these Revell Mk II a kits off as Douglas Bader's aircraft D - B using some different transfers.

Aside from the rivets already mentioned, I think the overall surface detail on this Revell kit is finer than the Airfix Mk Ia. But, the fit of the wings to the fuselage does not seem to be as good as the Airfix kit and needed a bit of work. But not a bad kit and good value for money IMHO. John

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Perhaps just the unarmoured and external armoured?  The internal windscreen had the sidelights extended and met the fuselage in a straight line rather than as a curve.  This was introduced on the Mk.III, and like the other modifications didn't reach production until the Mk.Vc.  It would be surprising to see the later windscreen on an earlier airframe because of the associated rework on the fuselage, it doesn't seem worth it.  Perhaps they'd run out of spare external armour screens?

Had a dig round and the internal armour windscreens were a production line only mod, so no retrofit for P7290.  As you say, must be a unarmoured screen - fine for a none-combat role in 1942?

7 hours ago, Deve said:

Picture found online looks like it was retrofitted with the later type by the time it was with the AFDU.

Glass bits and wheels masked.  Following Deve's insight, I have chosen windscreen 'B'.

44514328465_a23f796c78_z_d.jpg

Airframe assembled, gaps filled, seams sanded.  There were two small steps behind the washout that stuck out and the part where the under-fuselage joined with the wing root that needed a bit of cajoling.  Notice that the tail wheel has broken off during handling?  Hmmm...I blame the Revell Company for this.  I'll re-attach it when all is said and done.

43612103080_ea3002bb5c_z_d.jpg

31554030008_655ee2045a_z_d.jpg

I'll attach the glass bits and re-prime tonight.

--John

• Like 7

Always nice to see a Spitfire being done, and so quickly also! Nice work! I've been puttering about lately with several of my multitude of Spitfire kits. I have to say despite the bit of work needed, I rather like the AZ kits - I have several (PR Mk.IG, F.24, FR Mk.IXc, amongst others).

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason.  I like the AZ kits as well.  They seem less clunky thank the Revell or Airfix models.

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Looks like a Spitfire

Thanks Cookenbacher...I think so too.  I have really fallen back in love with these planes.

• Like 2

Getting closer every day...the fuselage is all together, canopy attached and has been re-primed.

31567179518_4b55a6c3cc_z_d.jpg

43625036980_7119dba6d4_z_d.jpg

The spinner and the wheels have their colours too, as well as the spinner backing plate.  I used the Vallejo Air Duck Egg Green that seems to be the right choice for that RAF Sky tone.  There is a band that goes around the fuselage at the tail and the kit supplies decals for this.  I will paint it since it needs to match the spinner.

44717809274_6774e38407_z_d.jpg

45390279592_732d06a25f_z_d.jpg

And...since someone else gave us a close-up of their early exhaust stacks, here are mine.  I use a paint mix.  A little Red Leather, some Black and a bit of Brass.

45390280022_38edcdf636_z_d.jpg

Well gents and ladies...I have a feeling I'll be getting some more paint on her today...

--John

• Like 7