B-17G

qn30jEkPz7

Answering @vppelt68‘s siren call I’ve rooted my B-17 kit out of the stash. Part of a Revell 8th AF set as A Bit o’ Lace (I’m not sure about the scheme though but that decision can come later)

31511138178_22f0595c02_b.jpg

Innards all present and correct

30446192217_801afb4de7_b.jpg

Due to me not checking back on here about the start date I may have in a fit of enthusiasm have flung some glue at 1 or 2 sub assemblies 

31511138428_a99a8ebd98_b.jpg

Still less than 25% though so I guess the GB gods will be merciful

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Still less than 25% though so I guess the GB gods will be merciful

Sirens and gods mentioned in the opening post! I don't know of the latter but  you're fine with your early start by me 👍. V-P

• Like 2

Yes, I thought about suggesting that too, but since my knowledge of Greek mythology is based only on reading all the Inspector Morse novels and a slight interest in Dido-class cruisers, I saw it best not to try at all :smile:. V-P

On 10/17/2018 at 9:10 AM, LostCosmonauts said:

Now I feel like I should be trying to find a markings set that has some kind of Greek mythological link - anyone have any ideas?

Didn't one of the Bomb Groups do the Zodiac signs? Or am I thinking of a B-24 unit?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vicarage Vee said:

You could convert it to a Project Aphrodite flying bomb...

Hadn't heard of that but now I want to do at least one. Some more research required...

5 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Didn't one of the Bomb Groups do the Zodiac signs? Or am I thinking of a B-24 unit?

I'm struggling for any kind of classical link apart from Veni, Vidi, Vici and a panchant for diaphanous clothing. there is bound to be one with a Venus nose art?  

Edited by LostCosmonauts
Got my geography mixed up - now deleted

15 hours ago, Ol' Scrapiron said:

I've seen decals by Kits World for B-24's that had the signs of the zodiac. I can't recall seeing any B-17's however, that's not to say they didn't exist however.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Thanks 1

Looked it up... The 486th BG out of RAF Sudbury flew B-24s and 12 of the Liberators in its 834th Squadron was each painted with a different Zodiac sign.

Guess that is a dead end for the B-17 tie-in.

Anyway, here are a few examples from the IWM archives:

media-380826.jpg?itok=41mkz-kz

-

media-13628.jpeg?itok=zIS9kXr_

-

media-13648.jpeg?itok=f4bQ2yVj

-

media-395590.jpg?itok=PRJp9UqR

-

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

This got put on the shelf of doom for a little while but with the deadline extension I decided to try and get at least something for the gallery. Rough in places and needs more decals and weathering but I wanted to try and get at least something for the gallery. 

State of play at Tuesday morning

IMG_2176

Wednesday night

JWZB9162

Thursday night

OKJO5680

This morning

IMG_2210

This afternoon

IMG_2211

This evening - as long as you don't go looking at the other side, underneath or for anything other than the biggest decals let's call that done (or at least 90% there with one good side to show the gallery)

IMG_2212

and hanging out with the nightshift

IMG_2215

• Like 4