Comets - two of'em (Momentarily shelved)

So! Hot off the Bugle Buggy build, I sat down and pondered what to build next. :hmmm:

Luckily sitting down is a skill I master quite well and t'was a clear evening and no clouds to obscure the stars.

As I sat there, staring at the stars, and letting my mind wander, it suddenly hit me: How 'bout a Comet - no - not one, but two! :D

I happen to have two AModel 1/144 DeHavilland Comets in the 'stash - a 4B and a 4C.

They'll be built almost OOB and mostly for the fun of it.

So - 'nuff said - let the building commence: :winkgrin:

95b41351-d06e-47a4-859a-8f8580c44d4c.jpg

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen
  • Like 5

So! Maybe I'm not as lazy as I thought  :hmmm:, as I allready have been doing some more building on the two Comets: :winkgrin:

fefafeba-07ff-4d15-95e7-c0082d27f6b2.JPE

The build itself is mostly just glueing the parts together - the real challenge is in the painting. :D

Hans J

• Like 2

So! Once again it that time where it is thursday (Thor's Day) so maybe it is 'Hammertime'! :banghead:

But before that, I've done a bit of modelling: :D

6ed3c732-6281-4353-b2b3-6929bfef6681.JPE

I've decided to build them as DeskTop models so will not get bogged down with details. Just clean looking models this time!

........I think......:hmmm:

Hans J

• Like 2

So! I seem to have a little trouble with the alignment of the wings to the fuselage. :hmmm:

It seems that the wingsection wants to slide to one side alle the time.

I have therefore glued two pieces of plasticcard on each side of the wingroot to keep it in place - hopes this extra support helps. :please:

16e4f05d-1ea4-4675-9d3c-fdae8876712e.JPE

I'll keep you posted as events unfolds! :winkgrin:

Hans J

• Like 1

I had heard, that the Amodel Comet kit wasn't quite 1/144 scale.

I have now found out that according to Modelversium the fuselage is supposedly 12 mm too short! :crying:

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=11209

Hmmm.....That is quite something......hmmmm...... :hmmm:

I'm not a nitpicker, but my worry is now that the 1/144 RAF decals I bought will not suit this kit. :hmmm:

Hmmmm.....should I look for the Airfix Comet instead.....hmmmm......:hmmm:

Cheers - for now.....hmmm......:hmmm:

Hans J

23 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

I had heard, that the Amodel Comet kit wasn't quite 1/144 scale.

I have now found out that according to Modelversium the fuselage is supposedly 12 mm too short! :crying:

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=11209

Hmmm.....That is quite something......hmmmm...... :hmmm:

I'm not a nitpicker, but my worry is now that the 1/144 RAF decals I bought will not suit this kit. :hmmm:

Hmmmm.....should I look for the Airfix Comet instead.....hmmmm......:hmmm:

Cheers - for now.....hmmm......:hmmm:

Hans J

Your thoughts and findings of the A Model kit are the same reasons I have  abandoned my thought of getting this kit especially if you planned to use the 26 Decals for an RAF one. Overall the decals  would look out of proportion to the model which is under sized all over.

Why don't you just finish the 4 C as the Dan Air one. That way there wont be any issues. Especially as they are only going to be desk top builds only.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Not for me to decide but I’d like to see you proceed with these two.

Cheers 

Dennis

40 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Your thoughts and findings of the AZ kit are the same reasons I have  abandoned my thought of getting the AZ kit especially if you planned to use the 26 Decals for an RAF one. Overall the decals  would look out of proportion to the model which is under sized all over.

Why don't you just finish the 4 C as the Dan Air one. That way there wont be any issues. Especially as they are only going to be desk top builds only.

Thank you for both your comments.

I first bought the 4B with plans to convert it to a C4, so when the 4C eventually was released I bought that instead so I now have two Comets

I think I'll shelve these two for the moment and go hunting for an Airfix 4B and use the wings of the Amodel 4C and combine these two to an C4. :winkgrin:

The reason behind this is that I have planned a series of RAF transport planes, Comet, Hercules, Britannia etc and would like them to be at least to be in the same scale. :winkgrin:

Hans J

If you check the wingspans of both kits you will find them the sam.e But the 4C/C.4 should have slight longer wingspans meaning that A Models have got them wrong... Very frustrating as I had planned to do similar in RAF markings until another thread I started here, gave me the answers and highlighted my fears of the A Model kits

• Like 1