Italeri Su-32FN - Indian Defence Research Wing

Hugh Thomson

I have ordered the 1/72 Italeri Su-32/34 - it includes markings for  Russian Air Force Su-34s and an Su-32FN of the Indian Air Force Defence Research Wing in 2015.  I am inclined to  build the Indian Air Force example but can't really find any references to this aircraft. I can see from the internet that Sukhoi built the Su-32FN for the Chinese and Indian market and that India flirted with the idea of acuiring the Su-32/34  for a while but seemed to ultimately decide on obtaining more Su-30s instead.

Does anyone know anything about an Su-32FN operated by the IAF Defence Research Wing? My assumption is that the IAF acquired a single example from Rusia for some testing of the type but that is just an educated guess. The 'anorak' in me wants to be sure that I am building a model of an aircraft which has some basis in fact (and Italeri have made mistakes in the past).

In all my years of Flankering and having zillions of references, I have never heard of an IAF Su-32FN.

I could be wrong of course - it has been known!

It would be great if it were true - I'd love to see the evidence.

I have also never seen the markings in the Italeri kit you mention - any chance of some photos of the decals ??

Ken

PS - IIRC, the appelation of Su-32FN was a marketing ploy by Sukhoi - but they would never say what it meant!

Some speculated that it was for 'Flanker, Naval'

25 minutes ago, Flankerman said:

In all my years of Flankering and having zillions of references, I have never heard of an IAF Su-32FN.

I could be wrong of course - it has been known!

It would be great if it were true - I'd love to see the evidence.

I have also never seen the markings in the Italeri kit you mention - any chance of some photos of the decals ??

Ken

PS - IIRC, the appelation of Su-32FN was a marketing ploy by Sukhoi - but they would never say what it meant!

Some speculated that it was for 'Flanker, Naval'

Hi.  The link takes you to a modelling site with a picture of the decal alternatives which includes what is said to be an Indian Su32FN of the Indian Defence Research Wing

https://www.super-hobby.co.uk/products/SUKHOI-SU-34-SU-32-FN.html#gallery_start

I have posted a note on the Bharak Rakshak (Indian Air Force modelling) Facebook page with a request for any info on this aircraft (assuming it exists - and I believe Italeri has made mistakes before).

Thanks for the link Hugh - I agree that it must be a figment of Italeri's imagination.

I'd love for it to be true though.

Ken

I did this one years ago - based on a display model on the Sukhoi stand...

flank_47.jpg

It makes an interesting companion to my 'real' Su-30MKI.

Edited by Flankerman
  • Like 1

Yes. Looks like Italeri copied someone's photoshop of a 'what if' IAF Su-34. Bit annoying that Italeri do not make this clear.  So back to Russian stars. I think I'll get the new Begemot decals for the Su-34 and select an aircraft from this set.

Your Su-30MKI looks great regardless of the markings. By the sound of it, converting Trumpeter's Su-30MKK to an 'MKI' is beyond my skill set.

20 minutes ago, Hugh Thomson said:

converting Trumpeter's Su-30MKK to an 'MKI' is beyond my skill set

If you can wait a few months, Zvezda are doing a Su-30SM - which is the Russian AF equivalent of the Su-30MKI/MKM/MKA

See:- http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/305806-su-30sm-flanker-h-in-2019/

You would still need to do the cockpit/antenna/MAWS/decals etc specific to each variant - but the basics are there (canards/TVC etc)

Ken

Thanks. I'll wait.  There's no alternative for me.

Mind.  Sometimes we have to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait................

I'm still waiting for the 1/72 Trumpeter MiG-19 which has been 'due' for about the last four years if I recall correctly.

• 5 months later...
On 10/18/2018 at 5:48 PM, Flankerman said:
On 10/18/2018 at 5:23 PM, Hugh Thomson said:

converting Trumpeter's Su-30MKK to an 'MKI' is beyond my skill set

If you can wait a few months, Zvezda are doing a Su-30SM - which is the Russian AF equivalent of the Su-30MKI/MKM/MKA

I did all these butchery using Zvezda Su-27UB &  Su-33 and partially Trumpeter Su-30MKK to build T-10UBM-1 and Su-30MKM/MKI without knowing that Zvezda will release Su-30SM soon...

Serkan