BF109 all models GENERAL discussion thread.

anj4de

Hello all

Not sure if a general BF109 discussion thread already exists, if it does please delete this one. I just came over from reading in the Eduard model thread on the rumor board...

Ok, I will start. I currently have three 109s on the bench, all 1/48. Eduard F-4, Zvezda F-4 and the 1999 Hasegawa G-10. I also bought another Revell G-10 just for the decals...and maybe I will use all those left over parts of the other kits to beef it up a bit.

Eduard and Hasegawa are in a stage where painting is about to start. So a couple of questions right away.

The Eduard kit should  become W.Nr.8673, Marseille's last F before getting a G2. (Lifelike Decals) Being an early but remanufactured bird I am not sure if the Edaurd kit is even correct here.

G-Type prop, no problem. But what about the seat and the wing tip lights? 8673 on pictures shows the outside re-enforcments on the tail that the F-2 also got. Does this indicate a re-worked F-2 frame that was brought to F-4 standard? Do I need the early seat and wing tip lights here? If yes I will have to use the Zvezda kit for those decals since it provides those "old" features.

On to Hasegawa's G-10. A nice model with the already known slight issues...It is from what I can tell a late Regensburg G-10(?). My original plan to use the very nice Revell decals for it but it turns out that W.Nr. 151035 is an early Erla (?) If this is correct the Hasegawa kit has the wrong cowling and also (?) the wrong, late, wing bulges and too big tyres. Is that assumption correct? I got this info from the very nice book from Krzysztof W. Wolowski on the late 109 camos and markings... So by the looks of it Revell has not done good research since their G-10 is also a late non-Erla one...

I hope to receive a lot of postive feedback here...

thanks

Uwe

PS: Feel free to also discuss the 1/32 109s...I have 5 of them in my stash. Revell G4 (Hase), G6, G10 and K4 (Hase) and also the first edition Hasegawa G14 Hartmann winter....

You are correct that the Erla G-10 is subtly, but thoroughly, different from any other G-10 forward of the firewall. As far as I know, your Revell 1/32 one is the only injection-molded kit from a major manufacturer of this variant. As this kit correctly represents, some o these machines did have the late larger wheels.

The old Revell 1/48 G-10 most closely represents those built at WNF’s “Diana” facility in the Czech Protectorate, but could do as a MTT Regensburg-built one in a pinch.

Edited by MDriskill

Im really not a fan of Revell kits. Especially the 1:72 & 1:48 scales. I have built dozens of 1:48's, but now im only building 1:32's as there is much more options for detailing and scratch fiddling etc...      Eduard do a beautiful out of the box 1/32 Bf-109-E7 Trop. Tamiya and Hobby Boss + Pacific models are excellent in detail and quality but expensive. Hence the old adage "you get what you pay for". Revell do a nice 1:48 scale Bf-110G. And their Spitfire lX is not to be sniffed at. Eduard i usually only use for photo etch and spares/extras. Some modellers are sticklers for accuracy to minute detail but im of the opinion that many aircraft (especially German and the Bf-109's, were modified in all manner of ways in the field. Including some strange camo schemes. So as i said, i dont have a problem with some artistic modelling license on certain types. Dragon, and Hasegawa and Trumpeter all do quality models too. It really depends on how much you want to spend. Here's a link you might find interesting.....

Manufacturer: Trumpeter

Scale: 1:32

Aircraft: Messerschmitt Bf 109G-10/U4/R2

Markings: “Black 12” | May 1945

Aftermarket: Eduard Interior | Barracuda Wheels | Barracuda Supercharger Intake, Maketar Masks, Master Model MG 131

Paints: Gunze | Tamiya | AMMO

https://doogsmodelsdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/bf-109g-10u4r2.jpg

Edited by Jack Lantern