Grumman Hellcat F6F-F Eduard.

stevej60

Hi folk's,second build will be this kit,I had intended to do an RN Hellcat and was dissappointed to find my LMS out of stock of any Weekend boxing's

This one caught my eye although I'm not really that interested in all the goodie's these kit's offer anyway at £19:99 it's well worth a punt and the etch,

mask's and wheel set really do add to the already superb quality molding's,here's the box for now.

45381162981_efd1cb3ed0_b.jpg

• Like 5

Definitely interested, I was thinking of pulling the trigger on this kit steve, i haven't got a hellcat in the  kit library, its was  the old frog kit, many a moon since the last time i built one of these, 

Glynn 

These Eduard kits do tend to make up into rather good models. Looking forward to seeing this in progress. :popcorn:

Keep the lamp out of the way though! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

11 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Steve

Welcome on this Gb

I am looking forward to follow your build as I plan to build its little brother in 1/72 ...

Enjoy your build

Cheers

Patrice

Glad to be back in a GB mood Patrice.

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Definitely interested, I was thinking of pulling the trigger on this kit steve, i haven't got a hellcat in the  kit library, its was  the old frog kit, many a moon since the last time i built one of these, 

Glynn 

I'll post sprue shot's soon Glynn this one's packed with goodies based around top quality molding.

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

These Eduard kits do tend to make up into rather good models. Looking forward to seeing this in progress. :popcorn:

Keep the lamp out of the way though! :winkgrin:

Kind regards,

Stix

It;s well out the way Stix!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Another great choice Steve.

Would have been nice to see a RN one but there are some nice US Navy markings too, either way I look forward to seeing what you can do with this great kit package.

Thank's Craig,I  really  fancied the RN scheme with the D-Day stripes but this one should be a good scheme to weather etc.

• Like 2

Morning folk's a modelling free weekend but got a few pieces assembled,the coloured PE will do most of the work on this cockpit as opposed to the Wildcat.

44765980874_2f7c5babf3_b.jpg

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Good to see this one underway too! That PE should really add some super detailing to the cockpit!

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank's Stix,day off today so popped up and down the loft and ended up well on with the cockpit the PE does look good although I gave the harness a miss

too much "faff" for me! It's now busy enough I will get both build's to the same stage with the cockpit's then leave this one till the Wildcat's finished.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blitz23 said:

Nice Steve I'm building the same kit, you decided on which scheme you're gonna do?

Not decided yet Blitz I'm liking the box top scheme at the moment,I got the cockpit almost done,did'nt use the PE harness just good old

masking tape but did cut off and used buckles.

43698501830_8dcdb3eb79_b.jpg

• Like 8

Sorry folk's just getting my foot out of my big mouth! Well maybe I'm being a bit unfair as I stand by my superb molding's statement but I have to say

some part's of this kit are very poor,the cockpit to fuselage placement look's very precise but could I hell get the fuselage sides to join up,I had to ripout the cockpit

and trim and sand it.the shape of the bulkhead with the headrest on bare's no resemblance to the shape of the topfuselage which also caused an issue

and to me there is a slight difference between the fuselage sides and port wing halves which needed to be dealt with, after loving their Spitfire and 109 build's

this feel's more a short run kit.Anyway I've cured the issue's and hope it's just a rogue kit pic's to follow.

• Like 1

Mind if I just sit over here Steve.  

I have a liking for three colour camouflage on the Hellcat too, EDSG, DSG & Sky looks good on a Hellcat, even Sea Blue looks good with BPF roundels and bars.  🤓

I will probably be shouted down but I'm not sure that their were many differences between the MkII Hellcat and the F6F-5  and most of those would be internal in the airframe with only the radio aerial fit being different.  As for markings the RN didn't go for the elaborate G markings so they can be cobbled together through various generic marking sets.  So it would not be that difficult going down the RN route....

BTW watch out for the different cowling.  It's easy to get them mixed up (don't ask me how I know this)..   

3 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Mind if I just sit over here Steve.

Welcome aboard GB,I prefer the FAA Hellcat's scheme's as well and I'm still pondering wether to do a second F6 in FAA colour's maybe Hasegawa's

offering or even Airfix's Otaki re-box I',m not enjoying Eduard's build a great deal.

• Like 1

Hi Folk's well after a few PITA moment's I'm here with this build and looking every inch the Hellcat three piece cowling went together well there's

PE mesh fitted in the intake.

45546556022_d732f655c0_b.jpg

• Like 4

I've  got a double boxing of this in the stash and was looking forward to building it. I even considered to do it after the Tomcat finishes putting itself together but I may be a bit more cautious after your comments above. 

Colin 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colin W said:

I've  got a double boxing of this in the stash and was looking forward to building it. I even considered to do it after the Tomcat finishes putting itself together but I may be a bit more cautious after your comments above. 

Colin 

Could just be a rogue run of kit's Colin other build's seem to be trouble free.

• Like 2

Morning folk's,primed in Tamiya gray shows no issues other than a little filler needed on the front cowleasily sorted and touched up ready for the Sea Blue.

45581559042_a037deab74_b.jpg

• Like 4

Morning folk's,I'm getting way to far ahead with this GB than I wanted as all my other stuff is stalled waiting for paint's etc but off tomorrow so trip

to the shop on the card's and I'll box this up for a while,thought you might like to see the wheel's supplied to replace the standard set on the sprue,

44922545504_faefb04ee2_b.jpg

And last job for now was to get the base coat on after adding the u/c.

45647490981_5533782aa8_b.jpg

• Like 3

Hi folk's well leaving for a while lasted all of two day's! I sprayed some lighter shades of blue around the airframe and sooty black for the exhaust

staining which need's a bit more work it's all a bit lost under the gloss but as usual should re-appear when the Matt coat goes on.

31807154418_5ac8b9afbe_b.jpg

• Like 4