This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Thom216

1/72 B-17B '10'

l have the same kit and planning on doing it once l get my research done. Tons of info on the later models but the B is a harder nut to crack. Right now l am trying to find more info on the rear guns. Seeing you got those tear drop blisters you can see a lot of the interior.

NChBx0.jpg

So far this is the best l can do at the moment but l keep looking. l believe there is a B model being restored but not sure if it is that or the D. l will have to find some updates somewhere. Also be aware that all Academy B-17 wings need shimming to get the correct dihedral as the kit one is too high and you need to lower it to the correct position

hacker

Hacker

Edited by hacker

I'm hoping I can see at least some of what I'm putting in. If not, then when I get around to the Academy C/D kits I'll just slap the fuse sides together!😁

That is a nice pic of the gun blister. I found another from the 229 in '35 that's taken from further back.

Boeing_Model_299_Gun_turret_b299-12.jpg

Another from the rear looking forward, or so it looks.

Catalina+blister+gunner.jpg

An a close up from the outside.

Boeing_XB-17_blister_turret.jpg

From here you can see the gun tracks are closed up, as well as the drooped elevators. The blisters also have far less framing than the earlier models.  Also a good shot of the tail lights.

a3769fb39b5d4938_large-jpg.428164

jSbB2qX.jpg

The belly blister. Awkward position, that.

idb17-17b-jpg.428455

And looking forward in a C, with the unique floor arrangement because of the bathtub.

b_17c_waist_interior-jpg.428456

And are you sure about the floor plan? I was basing my decision to split the flight deck based on these two pics.

The caption from the site states this as an 'early shark tail.' It has the old yokes and the split deck, as you can see the floor drop down under the seats.

''boeing-b-17b-flying-fortress-cockpit-bom

And this showing the armament layout of the B with the early blisters, but also showing the drop in the flight deck floor.

GZqTSr4.jpg

As to the early 17 under restoration, that would be 'the Swoose,' at the National Museum of the United States Air Force.

Edited by Thom216

On 11/11/2018 at 3:50 PM, stevej60 said:

Some superb work going on here Thom I'mliking it a lot!

Thank you very much! Again, most of it probably won't be seen and I'll probably give myself a little slap atop the head when I'm done, but just in case right?!

As for now, my slow build pace continues. I made another fire extinguisher for the rear bulkhead and mounted it into place.

n8Qfnto.jpg

This pic is just before the lintel snapped off and had to be replaced...

htIXM4g.jpg

And I have to give props to Ol' Scrapiron, without whom I would not have tried putting handles on the radio gear and ammo boxes. Thank you!

QnNNX8g.jpg

mIxUGER.jpg

MIxbMWq.jpg

I've had to replace a couple of those handles already, as my thick fingers are tending to bulldoze into the radio room whenever I pick it up!

I then started to build the rear floor. From the pics it looks like a split level with a 'bridge' going along the side passing the belly gun position.

Here I wish I had pics of the B model's interior, as what I've built is definitely more indicative of the C model, just with a blister position rather than the tub.

EKYa6qU.jpg

8awitbN.jpg

rhXh7Sy.jpg

And pretty much done with the floor here.

NhBEr6M.jpg

Just test fitted here to see how it'll go.

AhjECoq.jpg

WIBlrMa.jpg

Next up is the guns. As well as some PE replacement barrels, I need to mount them as well as creating the hardware to do that. In the waist positions, they rest in gimbles inside the bubbles. so I'll try to mount them similarly there. Or try to fake the look of the gimbles and mount them as instructed. Top and bottom will be tucked into recesses. Or at least with the bottom gun, made to look like it's tucked in, as there is no room in there without some major surgery for the whole gun.

Then I'll be back into the cockpit, and hopefully with the PE seats in hand as they are still in the mail...

Still moving along and hoping to get to painting the interior soon!

Thom

Edited by Thom216

Smashing job , Fine detailing in there thom, it'll be a great shame to zip it up

Yet more excellent scratch-building Thom.

Anybody building one of the early B-17's could do a lot worse than recreating the work that you have done here, and I plan to do one myself in the future.

Truly excellent work mate.

21 hours ago, Hewy said:

Smashing job , Fine detailing in there thom, it'll be a great shame to zip it up

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Yet more excellent scratch-building Thom.

Anybody building one of the early B-17's could do a lot worse than recreating the work that you have done here, and I plan to do one myself in the future.

Truly excellent work mate.

2 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Dude this is just fantastic. Really great modelling!

All the Best!

Don

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate it. It's like a shot in the arm to keep the momentum up, and tell myself not to have another half-build under the table!🙃

Edited by Thom216

Don't even joke about not finishing it--- the work you're doing looks so good it would be an absolute crime to not see her through. 

Too bad there's not a clear fuselage option for you to really show off all that scratch work.