1/72 B-17B '10'

Thom216

Okay, four days until the flag drops and the race is on! This will be my fourth GB and I'm really hoping fourth time is the charm and I can get this one done without stuffing it half-built back into its box.😅

As stated previous, I'll be doing Academy's B-17B.

bS0oDms.jpg

M3wS8AI.jpg

I'll be adding to it with Brassin turbochargers, so I think a wee bit of cutting will be done to get them to fit. The detail looks a lot better than the kit parts. I was thinking of using resin engines as well, but now I don't think so. For one, they are for the F/G model 17 (though at this scale I wonder if slight differences would matter?) and two, I want to avoid getting too bogged down on adding things. I'm already going to be adding the radio room and the floor for the waist gunners. And maybe dropping the floor in the cockpit since all pics I've seen of the B-17 cockpit has the seats set on stilts and raised up.

HPGY98f.jpg

I also bought an Eduard PE set for the IP. It's for the E/F 17 but again, how much with slight differences matter at this scale and with a constricted view through the flight deck windows? Depending on what can be seen, I might not use it either, It will be good to have it on hand though, just in case.

A question for those more in 'the know,' is the decals. I've seen some builds where the blue on the fin and insignia are a far lighter blue than the almost black-blue on the supplied decals. So, which is it?

Until then, just awaiting the starting bell!

• Like 6

Thankye!

I pulled the sprues from the wrappers and had a look. And like the resin engines, I'm probably going to save the turbochargers for one of the Airfix 17s in my stash, instead of using it here. I'll load some pics up later, but compared to the Academy parts, the resin are noticeably smaller and would leave too much of a gap around them. I could add plastic to narrow the opening in the lower wings to fit them, but I don't feel like getting that involved into it.

I think one of the reason why I didn't finish the other GBs is that I set out to do too much and would get bogged down. So, simple (for the most part) and get things dun!😉

I've got one of these tucked away, nearly done. Compared with my usual old 50's and 60's stuff, it went together like a dream. No problems anywhere as far as I could see.I really enjoyed the quality feel of the whole deal. 

The kit opened my eyes to newer models in many ways. Built straight out the box, with no additions, it makes up into a very attractive model. I'll be following your build with more than a bit of interest!

Tony.

• Like 1

First B-17 build for me, so I may as well start on the earliest model I can get! Too bad no one makes a model of the Model 299!

Pics of the turbocharger size differences.

ERKSGmK.jpg

TfBX94S.jpg

It is slightly narrower and much shorter, so I'll be using the kit parts but drilling out the exhaust.

• Like 6

Made another decision. While looking at my Airfix and Revell 1/72 kits in order to get an idea about altering the floor of the cockpit to depict the duel levels, I decided to use the Revell's engines on the Academy kit. These look a lot better and I can use the resin set to replace them on the Revell bird at some point later on. I'll also be adding some detail to the gear bays, again using the Airfix/Revell kits in order to get the look 'right.'

So, along with the normal build, I'll be...

Changing the floor of the cockpit, and adding an Eduard PE set meant for a 17F...

Moving the commander's viewing bubble to the starboard side of the roof rather than center line which is wrong...

Making a radio room and floor for the waist gunners...

Opening up the square holes in the leading edges of the wings and boxing them in (and maybe trying to open up the four trailing vents on the upper side of each wing...)

And trading out the Academy engines for the Revell set and detailing the gear bays...

So, not too much!

I'll be out most of the day tomorrow, so my build will be starting on Mon!

Asking again though about the colors on the decals. Does anyone know if the blue on the rudder and insignia were a dark or light blue?

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 1

So construction has now begun! Of course, the cockpit!

First thing was cutting the cockpit floor. Academy has it as a single-level, whereas I'm sure it should have a step-down just before the front seats. I also flipped it, as it is full of ejector pin marks on the 'top' side. I'll have to scratch some foot pedals.

2XjT1M3.jpg

I used L-shaped Evergreen to put the step in.

iGAVdPX.jpg

While that was drying, I moved onto the floor in the nose, where I found more ejector pin marks. Plastic Putty was smeared on to fill those.

YjGu4lq.jpg

Also put the bulkheads together. Since the bomb bay will be closed, the only part being used from there is the bridge between them. Before anyone says anything, I chose to reverse the bulkheads, so the detail remains 'visible' in the rear of the cockpit and the radio room. Otherwise they are pretty bland in detail.

JehMbQ4.jpg

Got a little over zealous with the grinder! Good thing that'll be out of sight!

Qr1io5V.jpg

Then it was onto the seats. From the pics I've seen of the B, the backs shouldn't be so high nor should they be so wide, so out came the snippers and sanding sticks.

The central seats, the one on the left hasn't been narrowed yet.

WRZokmw.jpg

Same with the nav and bombers seats.

Qm2VfmP.jpg

And here's where I am right now.

RZeqpsc.jpg

I also checked the dihedral of the wings, as I heard Academy may have gotten them wrong(?). I taped the fuselage and one wing together to check and it didn't look bad when compared to a frontal view. From what I can tell, it looks like the tips of the elevators should intersect with the inner curve of the outer engine nacelle. Something to keep in mind...

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 5

Did a little work on the inner walls today...

wUZ20u8.jpg

It's not perfect. That wonky rib up front there has been straightened out, but it's good enough. I console myself with the knowledge that no one will probably ever see it again with any kind of clarity after the fuse is all together...

I'll do starboard later and then the radio and waist positions.

• Like 3

Alright, got some progress to post.

Doing more work on the interior, marking off where the bulkheads for the radio room will be.

I0Uj64d.jpg

And making the bulkhead itself, with an open doorway.

kcmiLQz.jpg

l3gSdHr.jpg

Going back to the nose, I put some L-shaped styrene at the join between the nose compartment and the cockpit floor. Otherwise it's just a simple butt join. Then glued the two together.

A0Y8K0e.jpg

cjz7Qfv.jpg

Then I finished the bulkhead, as well as making a floor for the radio compartment. I also cut down the bulkhead between there and the bomb bay to make room for the stowed upper gun. According to the pics, it was slid into a recess there when not in use, so I supplied a deck there for it to be tucked into. I have pics of a restored B's radio room, that still had the insulation over the ribs, so I'll be keeping mine the same there.

xj37n0x.jpg

8vxqiPW.jpg

Now I'm doing more ribbing in the waist positions, and hoping my limited supply of styrene strip lasts until the extra I ordered finally arrives through the mail!

I also happened to come across some 1/72 PE cockpit seats. I ordered two sets since they have only two seats each and I need four for the cockpit. As well as some resin oxygen bottles to put in some corners of the interior. Until they show up, I'll keep on ribbing and making the floor for the waist area. Also cutting a hole in the belly for the lower gun position.

In the kit, it is only a bubbled glazing that gets glued to the belly, but I want a little more detail there.

And that's it for now. Now, I'm off to check on the other builds!😁

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 8

Nice job on your B-17 Thom!

Oh boy, your stepping this one up a couple of notches with all the extras. I think you'll be happier with the cockpit seats you'll get with the PE sets. The seats in the kit are a little too simple with no detail. 

I find it interesting that the cockpit floor in your kit was flat. The floor in the Academy B-17F I am building is stepped. I wonder why Academy made the floor flat on the B-17B.

You've inspired me to try my hand at the interior ribbing. Looks great on yours!

Rob

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hewy said:

Thom, thats some very nice work in there, good job

Glynn 

Thank you Hew!

3 hours ago, Canso65 said:

Nice job on your B-17 Thom!

Oh boy, your stepping this one up a couple of notches with all the extras. I think you'll be happier with the cockpit seats you'll get with the PE sets. The seats in the kit are a little too simple with no detail. 

I find it interesting that the cockpit floor in your kit was flat. The floor in the Academy B-17F I am building is stepped. I wonder why Academy made the floor flat on the B-17B.

You've inspired me to try my hand at the interior ribbing. Looks great on yours!

Rob

One of life's little mysteries. If anything, it's always a good reminder that cutting kit plastic is not a taboo!😁

And definitely have a go at it! Just be prepared to run out of styrene strip! I ran out, so now it's onto other parts of the interior until resupply arrives through the mail. The radio room needs a table and a radio to be set in it, after all...

• Like 2

On 11/2/2018 at 7:22 AM, DJJunis said:

Whoa Thom this is looking freaking awesome! 

Love all the additions.

All the Best!

Don

Thanks a lot!

And onto more detailing that may never be seen again...🙃

So I have pretty much finished with the ribbing. I even did the rear gear well, but missed that in the pics. I also put some misc detail onto the cockpit sidewalls and those in the radio room.

zVWIDHR.jpg

c1BKZy6.jpg

Also cut and fitted a rear bulkhead with a door. Just needs a floor...

IKk81bG.jpg

And some detail for the radio room. I think if anything is going to be really seen after all is said and done, it'll be in here. All was constructed from evergreen strip, from the table to the radio equipment to the little fire extinguisher beside the door. Forgot to get a better pic of that. The white squares on the desk are journals or radio logs.

jNipr1T.jpg

DZD856r.jpg

Next is getting the rack for the ammo boxes secured to the side - as well as making some ammo boxes... Then I'll be moving further back and doing the floor there.

Til then, happy modelling!

Thom

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 13

Thom,

This is super modelling....really excellent.

You mentioned something about using the Revell engines. I have not looked at the Academy engines but the Revell engines are very clunky IMHO......especially the pushrods...way over scale. I replaced the pushrods and wired them.

Here's a couple of pics.

All the Best!

DonMF23KzW.jpg

NozlRok.jpg

mGnzs8S.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, Thom216 said:

First thing was cutting the cockpit floor. Academy has it as a single-level, whereas I'm sure it should have a step-down just before the front seats. I also flipped it, as it is full of ejector pin marks on the 'top' side. I'll have to scratch some foot pedals.

Unfortunately Academy had it right. In the B,C and D it was a single floor with the seats arranged as such. It was in the E and later models it changed to accommodate the new upper gun turret . There also should be air tanks in that section too the same as the later models

O2aOG2.jpg

It should look like this

Hacker

Edited by hacker
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Thom,

This is super modelling....really excellent.

You mentioned something about using the Revell engines. I have not looked at the Academy engines but the Revell engines are very clunky IMHO......especially the pushrods...way over scale. I replaced the pushrods and wired them.

Here's a couple of pics.

All the Best!

DonMF23KzW.jpg

NozlRok.jpg

mGnzs8S.jpg

I'll have to see how I feel about the engines when I get to them. I probably will wire them and replacing the rods should be easy enough.

Thanks for the heads up!

2 hours ago, hacker said:

Unfortunately Academy had it right. In the B,C and D it was a single floor with the seats arranged as such. It was in the E and later models it changed to accommodate the new upper gun turret . There also should be air tanks in that section too the same as the later models

O2aOG2.jpg

It should look like this

Hacker

And that you for this! I figured the inclusion of the top-turret only necessitated the removal of the rear seats.

It's a good thing I am no where passed the point of no return on the cockpit floor. All I'll have to do is bring it back level again, since most of the work as been aft. And I have a set of resin air tanks that I might be able to squeeze into there!

Thom

Edited by Thom216
  • Like 2