A Dove from above - COMPLETE

On 25/10/2018 at 21:44, Wonky Donkey said:

Evenin' all. Time for a wee update on this. 

I finished the red arrow for my boy's room so could focus on the Dove (he's 3, so obviously it has to have smoke):

DSC_2057

Cheers for looking in.

W-D 

That reminds me. Took my grandson ( now 5) to Biggin Hill show in August with his older sister(7) and they were thrilled to see the Reds. On gettiing them home I asked Henry what his favourite display was... his answer: " The Blue Arabs!"  I think it was the smoke that swayed him,, It gave us all  a good laugh!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

She looks fantastic! Great painting skills there, getting so many parallel lines isn't easy is it. Beautiful looking Dove.

Thanks, and no! Although in this case they are at least straight lines throughout - no angles or curves to factor in. Just as well! 😂 

W-D 

hi ALL.

havin' trouble with Straight /thin lines ?

check out Jackson Evens  MODELMASTER Site , tho Railway stuff he has Transfer sheets of Straight lines

.....all different Colours and right down to 1/2 mm thickness on a sheet addin'up to 72 inches  .... now thats goin' somewhere !  

cheery "modellin' "mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156    

• Thanks 1

Now I realise it's not a Dove - it's actually an ex RNZAF Devon - but I thought you might like these pictures anyway.

Omaka Airshow - Blenheim - New Zealand. April 2017.  Enjoy!

DSC_0147 (2)

DSC_0150 (3)

DSC_0152 (3)

• Like 9

hi Bruce ,

drink the Beer /Wine ....and leave the Sheep alone !

cheery mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, pacificmustang said:

fantastic photos Steve

A mate and I are heading to next year's show.  Any tips for first time attendees?

Cheers

Bruce

Yep - make sure you book accommodation early (hope you have yours sorted already).

Go to the practice day as it’s an airshow in its own right.

Go for a pax ride in the DC3 (and the Catalina if it’s Available.). And...there’s a quiet spot near the end of the main runway at the end of a row of sheds  (well away from the main public viewing area) where  a small number (say half a dozen) keen photographers quietly congregate - don’t draw any attention to themselves , and get great threshold photos!

By the way - it’s a GREAT weekend. You will love it!

• Like 1

There’s a great spirit there, a genuine love of Aviation in all it’s unspoiled glory. The safety is good but it hasn’t crushed the event.  It seems to be understood by the crowd that this is a bit special - so they generally behave sensibly with a view to preserving a slightly ‘freewheeling’ atmosphere. It’s good.

• Like 1

hi Bruce ,

but you can do N.Z. a favour and wack a few Possums !

or at least buy a Possum Product it all helps N.Z.

mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• Like 2

Excellent.  Thanks Steve.  WE have accom. booked already in Blenheim.  Im really looking forward to it based on your couple of photos.  We attended Oshkosh last year and found the same atmosphere you describe there.  Ive been to Wanaka a few times, but heard that has got bigger than Ben Hur these days.  Im staying away from Avalon.

Wonky Donkey, my apologies for the slight thread hijack

Cheers

Bruce

One more thing. If you are into photography- the main runway’s landing threshold (if the aircraft are recovering towards the hills) is not far at all from the airfield perimeter. So you can actually stand on public land, on a gazetted public road and have Spitfires etc pass about 50 feet directly overhead. When I went to that spot I was the only person there and got some great shots.

• Like 2

hi ALL ,

I have been wantin'to go for years.......

but I require a "Non Grizzlin'/ Drinker/ not a Cheap Scate /A/C Buff " Travel Companion

it's soo hard !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

3 minutes ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hi ALL ,

but I require a "Non Grizzlin'/ Drinker/ not a Cheap Scate /A/C Buff " Travel Companion

it's soo hard !

I thought I’d found one the other day but it turned out he was the wrong scale - and his nose profile wasn’t that accurate to my eye.

• Haha 1

Steve ,.

you can't tell a book ! ..........

I find repeated Socializin' Sessions ( drinkin /'spending money ) is a must !

........ in evalueatin' a suitable Travel Companion 

mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, G.E.SAUNDERS said:

hi ALL ,

it's soo hard !

Insert other media

Geoff

F.T.G. 3156

Same problem here.. In the end I had to settle with Bruce

• Haha 1

Aww, see now you've all gone and made me jealous and want to go all the way to the other side of the world just to see some aeroplanes fly... No such thing as a thread diversion in my book - all part of the fun here! 

Those are some great pics Steve. Just the inspiration to get on and finish this build. 

On which, I was wondering about the final finish. The actual airframe (G-alfu) at Duxford is glossy, but the one at

East Fortune (g-anov) isn't. I don't do many civil subjects so gloss would be a nice change, but would a semi-gloss be more appropriate? Thoughts? 

W-D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, Calum said:

Same problem here.. In the end I had to settle with Bruce

Well.......you're the wrong scale, and you're nose profile is off, plus I think you're overweathered 😁

Thanks for the hot tips Steve.  Geoff, you sound like our kind of bloke but your interest in egg planes would cause Calum and I to unmercifully mock you!

Wonky, Thanks for your kindness, I would go with semi Gloss personally

Cheers

Bruce

Edited by pacificmustang
  • Like 2

hi Bruce,

mock away!

I have been for sometime upgradin' the Hasegawa F/A/18 Hornet Egg Plane and installin' an Electronic Jet Engine Sound Insert

( out of an Airport Souvineer  Jumbo Jet  ).......sound as well as flashing Engine lights   nuk  ! nuk ! nuk !

Have fitted the RETROWINGS Cockpit Insert..... the Seat sits wrong tho ,   hhhhhhrrrr !.... more surgery !

cheery "modellin " mumbas !

Geoff

F.T.G.3156

• Like 1