Query about carrier kit conversion potential

Nocoolname

I've always wanted a kit of the Ark Royal R09 but none of the manufacturers seem willing to oblige. So I was hoping the BM Hive Mind might be able to tell me whether there are any kits on the market that 'might' make a useful base for converting into the R09 or whether it is simply a non-starter. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Cheers!

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 10:23 PM, Nocoolname said:

The AM kit looks a real beauty. If only they could upscale it to 1/350...

Peter Hall did build his own scratch built 1/350th HMS Ark Royal IV, but has said the size and shape of creating a 1/350th kit would make it prohibitively too expensive

The Fujimi kit can be built as Ark Royal or Eagle and both could be converted to the angled deck versions with a little effort.  Most of the work on the hull involves closing up the side lift and removing forward gun positions.  The remaining work involves the flight deck fitting and the superstructure, masts and radars.

Here is an example of how the conversion could be done.  This shows the kit hull and flight deck, with a new flight deck cut from styrene sheet

20181128_104908.jpg

Herewith the new flight deck laid over the hull.  The front edge of the angled deck will need to have a sloping piece fitted and the bridle catcher constructed.

20181128_105004.jpg

Mike

• Like 4

Snap! Started a few years back and stalled currently. A slightly different approach but going in a similar direction! The original plan was to ad a full layer of 20 thou over the top similar to yours.

I've actually decided I might be better building a "modern day" Eagle from this one, and doing Atlantic's Ark. Yes I realise the deck outline will need to change again!

20180828_164540

Terry

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

Crikey Terry, how many builds do you have on the go(ish)!

Stuart

Too many I would say, although to be fair, this one was started very many years ago and is languishing in a cupboard. Don't plan to do anything with it just yet. It sits there with two partially complete frigates, a type 15 and a type 16, both of which started life as a Matchbox HMS Kelly😁

Type 15

20180731_105210

Type 16

20180731_110136

Apologies for the thread drift @Nocoolname, but these two were about during Ark 09's early days!

Terry

• Like 2

Well you learn something every day.  I knew about the Type 15s (I even went onboard I think UNDAUNTED at Chatham Navy Days in about 1970/71) but I'd never heard of the Type 16s.  Thanks for opening my eyes to yet another future conversion possibility!

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2018 at 6:37 PM, Chewbacca said:

Well you learn something every day.  I knew about the Type 15s (I even went onboard I think UNDAUNTED at Chatham Navy Days in about 1970/71) but I'd never heard of the Type 16s.  Thanks for opening my eyes to yet another future conversion possibility!

Glad to have helped! If you can still get hold of them Warship Data International published some comprehensive plans for both these (HMS Terpiscore the 16 and HMS Rocket the 15). Both plans were by John Lambert. Great for fans of post war to cold war RN. I acquired them both many years ago, hence the started projects. Will probably get back to them eventually now I'm firmly back into the hobby. Atlantic Models show a 1/350 Type 15 in their future list. Thats on my future list also!

Terry

• Like 1