Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

6 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Ah yes...shades of the summer holidays when the days seemed to last forever.

Didn't matter how long the summer holidays were, you never got to the end of The Flashing Blade...  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Didn't matter how long the summer holidays were, you never got to the end of The Flashing Blade...  

Back to the 1970's...   ...don't miss it!

Watching the Flashing Blade was punishment for being grounded!

Back on topic - a lot of the Heller Musée kits came out in the 70's.

• Haha 1

Mission Impossible was an evening show in the UK in the 1970's whilst the Flashing Blade was on during daytime in the school holidays.  I'm sure my mum knew how peeved I would be watching that rather than playing in and around a real castle with my mates.

31 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Anyone remeber Heller Cadet kits?

I came to the Cadet kits late, we had a model shop and a hardware superstore that both sold Heller stuff, it was mostly the 1/72nd aircraft or the 1/43rd scale cars.

22 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Anyone remember Heller Cadet kits?  I have an Alouette II somewhere deep in The Stash.  The tail boom framework was moulded as a single piece in clear plastic!

I have to correct myself on two counts.

Firstly, it's not an Alouette II.  It's a Lama, which apparently was an Alouette II with Alouette III components and powerplant.

Lama-001.JPG

And, as you can clearly see here, the tail boom isn't clear plastic. 

Lama-002.JPG

So....   what kit was I thinking of?  Any ideas? 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Yak3-001a.JPG

Just sayin'...   :lol: 

It's so blooooooooo!  My eyes!!!!

12 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have to correct myself on two counts.

Firstly, it's not an Alouette II.  It's a Lama, which apparently was an Alouette II with Alouette III components and powerplant.

Lama-001.JPG

And, as you can clearly see here, the tail boom isn't clear plastic. 

So....   what kit was I thinking of?  Any ideas? 

Cheese :rofl:

Edited by Wez

So for this group build, if somebody can find me some markings for a standard Armée de l'Air escadron Noratlas in 1/72nd scale, I'll build that for this GB, otherwise it will be the AAC.1 Toucan using the KP kit.

Does anyone make standard squadron markings for a Noratlas?  I'm not interested in German, Portuguese, Israeli, Greek or civvie Noratlas, only French.

3 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Try here.  although they might not be wholly standard.  Or available..

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/toulouse-decals-td72006-nord-2501-noratlas-105-62-si-50eme-anniversaire--156477

I'm aware of those but trying to source them is like trying to source rocking horse :poop:

8 hours ago, Wez said:

So for this group build, if somebody can find me some markings for a standard Armée de l'Air escadron Noratlas in 1/72nd scale, I'll build that for this GB, otherwise it will be the AAC.1 Toucan using the KP kit.

Wez, I have a different Noratlas boxing to you and am happy to send you the French AF option from it:

noratlas01

noratlas02

I'll trade you these for whatever options you don't want from your boxing. 

7 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

I'll trade you these for whatever options you don't want from your boxing. 

Paul,

Before I take you up on your kind offer let me check what state those I have are in, it wouldn't be fair to enter into a swap if I wasn't able to hold up my end of the deal.

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Paul,

Before I take you up on your kind offer let me check what state those I have are in, it wouldn't be fair to enter into a swap if I wasn't able to hold up my end of the deal.

Or we can work out another non-Noratlas decal trade.  😎 I'd like to see you build it, as it might be the encouragement I need to build mine!!! 🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

Or we can work out another non-Noratlas decal trade.  😎 I'd like to see you build it, as it might be the encouragement I need to build mine!!! 🤣🤣

I've dug the beast out of the stash and it does have some standard squadron markings on the decal sheet for 3 Armée de l'Air options as well as a German, Greek and Portuguese example so I shall use those.  It's years since I looked at the contents so I'd obviously blanked the markings options out in my own mind.

Thanks again for your kind offer.

This is the kit I have, I recall buying it in a model shop in New Milton, I bbought it on a day out during the summer holidays, my kids were quite tiny and I had to quickly swoop and rescue my daughter from being washed towards the Needles, that must have been about 17 or 18 years ago now!

Noratlas

• Like 1

I had that boxing back in the 80's - bought it on a holiday in France, Heller kits were cheaper there than in Britain back then. I thought it was a big bugger back then, though it isn't really.

I now have a later boxing and intend, at some point, to super-detail the interior. The airworthy example in France has a nice website with lots of useful photos:

https://noratlas-de-provence.com/

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paul Bradley said:

I had that boxing back in the 80's - bought it on a holiday in France, Heller kits were cheaper there than in Britain back then. I thought it was a big bugger back then, though it isn't really.

I now have a later boxing and intend, at some point, to super-detail the interior. The airworthy example in France has a nice website with lots of useful photos:

https://noratlas-de-provence.com/

Thanks for that link, I'm sure it will be very helpful.

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Stop showing me things like this...!     I'll only want to build one.   :frantic:  

GOOD!

• 2 weeks later...

Have quite a few of the older Heller kits - 1/40 Fouga Magister ; 1/50 Vautour , Falcon 20 , Alpha Jet , Alize as well as the more recent 1/35 Super Frelon ; 1/50 Puma , Gazelle , Ecuriel/Squirrel ; 1/48 Mirage IV , Mirage 2000N and 1/72 Transall , Noratlas and in some parts at least F/TF-104G.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Des said:

Have quite a few of the older Heller kits - 1/40 Fouga Magister ; 1/50 Vautour , Falcon 20 , Alpha Jet , Alize as well as the more recent 1/35 Super Frelon ; 1/50 Puma , Gazelle , Ecuriel/Squirrel ; 1/48 Mirage IV , Mirage 2000N and 1/72 Transall , Noratlas and in some parts at least F/TF-104G.

Well Des that's quite a collection and I'm really envious that you have the Super Frelon, I only ever remember seeing of those kits many years ago when it was way beyond my price range.

Any of those would be more than welcome, thank you for signing up.

3 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Just one offering in my stash - a Trojan. Sounds like a great excuse to build it.

That's a nice little kit and truly a classic.

Welcome to the GB and thanks for signing up Tim.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wez said:

..... I'm really envious that you have the Super Frelon, I only ever remember seeing of those kits many years ago when it was way beyond my price range .....

Beyond mine as well until Wonderland Models were offering them for a very , very reasonable price as a 'Show Special'  many years ago at an RAF Leuchars Airshow where hours of fun followed trying to protect a very large and not too sturdy box sticking out of their largest carrier bag into typically moist September air from stray feet while trying to juggle that , a walking stick and a camera as I went round the static display ,  pre-digital so there was winding on and off of 35mm film as well ...... happy days.

It is a nice kit and would benefit from a lot of extra internal detail work which is what put me off building it although I suppose the sensible thing to do would be to build the interior as a series of mini projects between other jobs , there was briefly a large photo-etch sheet available from a now non-existent French firm which I only ever heard about after they ceased trading and would seem to have been even more expensive than the kit.      I bought the Lela Press book on the Super Felon a couple of years ago so the references are handy if I ever make a start.

Perhaps it might even make a reappearance one of these days if Heller ever get fully back into their stride.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2019 at 18:08, Wez said:

I've dug the beast out of the stash and it does have some standard squadron markings on the decal sheet for 3 Armée de l'Air options as well as a German, Greek and Portuguese example so I shall use those.  It's years since I looked at the contents so I'd obviously blanked the markings options out in my own mind.

Thanks again for your kind offer.

This is the kit I have, I recall buying it in a model shop in New Milton, I bbought it on a day out during the summer holidays, my kids were quite tiny and I had to quickly swoop and rescue my daughter from being washed towards the Needles, that must have been about 17 or 18 years ago now!

Noratlas

Good morning

Ha the Heller Noratlas this kit reminds me of a flight done aboard the real aircraft when I was based in Metz Frescaty in 1985 and I remember it as a rather noisy and uncomfortable plane , but the paratroopers he had for main mission to carry rarely complained about that  ...

For this Gb I will build the AAC 1 Toucan

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-80359-aac1-toucan--1124171

received yesterday ..

Cheers

Patrice

7 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Ha the Heller Noratlas this kit reminds me of a flight done aboard the real aircraft when I was based in Metz Frescaty in 1985 and I remember it as a rather noisy and uncomfortable plane

That reminds me of just about any flight I've had in any military transport plane or helicopter.

7 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

For this Gb I will build the AAC 1 Toucan

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-80359-aac1-toucan--1124171

received yesterday ..

Good choice, if I can get the Noratlas done I plan to do my KP version of the kit as a Toucan too.

Plenty of room for anyone else wanting to join us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1