Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

@TonyOD

What's the age of that particular boxing? Is it a current "heritage/classic" boxing, or is it a bit older than that?

Nice to see another Amiot 143. I'm beginning to think we should all build at least one each for the GB.

1 minute ago, fightersweep said:

@TonyOD

What's the age of that particular boxing? Is it a current "heritage/classic" boxing, or is it a bit older than that?

Nice to see another Amiot 143. I'm beginning to think we should all build at least one each for the GB.

2017, according to Scalemates. These new boxings of the Musée series are just gorgeous. And I'm inclined to agree!

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

an almighty smiting might occur from C in C House if the postman delivers any more plastic of French origin!

I feel your pain... 

Folks, we moderators have been having a little discussion behind the scenes. Don’t worry, it’s nothing bad!

Can we politely ask when you post an entry in the Group Build to include the original Heller catalogue number in the thread title. We would prefer the number first used by Heller when the kit was released. If you’re entering a kit in a non-Heller box, such as Smer or Mister Kit, a quick visit to Scalemates can uncover the Heller information using the timeline feature.

We are asking purely so it makes it easier to keep track of all the builds in what is looking to turn into a massive Classic Group Build. Thanks! :like:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I didn't want to take Heather's Ju 52 thread off topic. but fightersweep said that he couldn't think of an Heller WWI kit. There was one of their very early ones - a SPAD VII (in Guynemer's markings, naturally) in 1/40 scale issued in 1960. I think it's still available from Smer.

Edited by Richard Humm
  • Like 2

I would love to see a big E3 Sentry make the GB there's a few places knocking them out for under thirty quid right now to big for me I'm afraid wish

I had bought the Lockheed warning star for a tenner a few years ago at the Northern show always fancied a crack at one there's a couple on e bay

at the moment but the decals look suspect and there doesn't seem any AM for this kit.of course I have the 1/400 Foch still under the 25% rule!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

I didn't want to take Heather's Ju 52 thread off topic. but fightersweep said that he couldn't think of an Heller WWI kit. There was one of their very early ones - a SPAD VII (in Guynemer's markings, naturally) in 1/40 scale issued in 1960. I think it's still available from Smer.

Thanks Richard. So generally speaking, WW1 wasn't a route that Heller decided to take, which I find quite interesting. However, I'm grateful of their French inter-war output. I'll Google the Spad though.

@Heather Kay

No problem Heather! I'll make sure to include that info in any future titles and amend my current two threads.

Steve

On 9/16/2020 at 9:59 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

A very nice choice Patrice and I’m sure the Fenec will be a popular kit for this GB. I’d likely build one too, however don’t have one in the stash and it’s doubtful that any overseas orders would arrive in a suitable timeframe. I do like the decals they provide in the new box, quite a lovely package on offer there. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave

You do now and who needs overseas orders when the local Robs Model Emporium has them (everything?) in stock!  

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 6:34 AM, Rabbit Leader said:

What a fantastic collection @fightersweepSteve!. I’d challenge you to a game of “You show me yours, I’ll show you mine”, however it would appear I’d fall embarrassingly short of that great stash. Been trying to source a Bf109B myself for a while and I’m sure they’ll prove to be popular within this GB. I hope you at least get the chance to build and complete at least 1/2 a dozen of those. 

OK guys and gals, Steve’s shown his wears... anyone want to take up the Heller stash photo challenge? 

Cheers and can’t wait for this to start.. Dave 

My mobile isn't communicating with my Laptop for some reason so if you want a photo I'll have to MMS it to you and either you can upload it or e-mail it to me an I'll upload it.  (There will actually be a couple of photos as they won't all fit into one photo.)  

8 minutes ago, Rob S said:

You do now and who needs overseas orders when the local Robs Model Emporium has them (everything?) in stock!  

Yes... I must revisit again some time soon, better than Christmas I’m my books! 

7 minutes ago, Rob S said:

My mobile isn't communicating with my Laptop for some reason so if you want a photo I'll have to MMS it to you and either you can upload it or e-mail it to me an I'll upload it.  (There will actually be a couple of photos as they won't all fit into one photo.)  

Happy to do that Rob, sent those photos through and I’ll post on your behalf. Now my spotters fees are quite reasonable,  I don’t charge anything, however do accept small Heller kts as thoughtful donations! 
Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Happy to do that Rob, sent those photos through and I’ll post on your behalf. Now my spotters fees are quite reasonable,  I don’t charge anything, however do accept small Heller kts as thoughtful donations! 
Cheers.. Dave

He's also looking for a Constellation but too modest to mention it :giggle:

I've been having a bit of a sort out with my built Heller kits, just to get me in the mood. Storage biffs and bashes need a bit of TLC here and there.

Amongst the models is an Amiot 143, done in the one colour chocolate finish.

20200926-174944.jpg

Not one of my builds, it came to me as part of a collection.  I've given it a bit of a makeover with some weathering, paint touch ups and polished cowls. There's still a bit more to do, the props and exhaust rings need more work yet.

Now's the time to do these renovations and repairs, on the run up to the main event. Just the job to get me in the mood.

20200926-175227.jpg

I've also been working towards finishing a couple of builds I started what seems like ages ago, a SMER Bloch 200 and a Heller Potez 540. Both are coming along nicely. The Bloch cammo isn't exactly 100% accurate but I'm enjoying the weirdness of the whole thing quite a bit.

20200926-175130.jpg

These two are keeping me from caving in and starting one of my reserved GB kits! As luck would have it, I have another builder 540 that will hopefully be finished in the all white VIP transport scheme during the GB.

To say that I'm looking forward to the GB starting is probably the understatement of the year so far!

Tony.

• Like 6

@TonyW

Blimey! That's pure Heller naughtiness right there. Fantastic collection of such variety. I really, really must pick up some of the bombers. They all look fab. I think I'm going to ditch most of my stash and just build Heller from now on!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I think I'm going to ditch most of my stash and just build Heller from now on!

That’s exactly the direction I’m headed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

@TonyW

I'm going to ditch most of my stash and just build Heller from now on!

3 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

That’s exactly the direction I’m headed.

My God!  What have I done?

• Haha 6

Seriously though, I've always liked Heller kits a lot, but I haven't built any for years. The GB has just reminded me how good they are, and the wealth of subjects all of which appeal to my changing tastes. Those quirky French inter war types certainly have their appeal. Since the GB was announced, Heller is all I've bought and now, I don't see that trend changing for a while. So it's a case of "thank you Wez!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just been musing on Heller in general (sad I know for a Saturday night, but the missus has hijacked the TV and I'm supposed to be working). What are the types that Heller should have tooled, but didn't? I was thinking about this, and the one that tops my list is the Max Holste Broussard. Others that spring to mind are the VG 33, Breguet 763 (probably a bit unlikely) or because of French use, a F8-F Bearcat. A Loire-Nieuport 411 would have been interesting, but I would have loved a Broussard.

Steve

1 minute ago, fightersweep said:

Just been musing on Heller in general (sad I know for a Saturday night, but the missus has hijacked the TV and I'm supposed to be working). What are the types that Heller should have tooled, but didn't? I was thinking about this, and the one that tops my list is the Max Holste Broussard. Others that spring to mind are the VG 33, Breguet 763 (probably a bit unlikely) or because of French use, a F8-F Bearcat. A Loire-Nieuport 411 would have been interesting, but I would have loved a Broussard.

Steve

Anything that was used in the Magreb or Indochina so we're talking about the definitive Bearcat and SIPA S-10/12, Broussard, Flamant etc...

5 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Steve

These two must have been close to production, they made it into one of the catalogues...

20200917-072643.jpg

... no kits appeared as far as I know.

Tony.

The Azur range included many of the types Heller "should have done", including the VG.33, but I feel they could have explored the interwar types such as the Potez 25/27 series, and the Latecoere used as a mailplane in St. Exupery's classic "Night Flight".  If you want to get heroically over-ambitious, a Breguet Bizerte or the Farman "Jules de Verne" night bomber?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I have photocopy some Czech catalog, presumably the mid-70s, there is Heller Ilyushin DB-3F and Tupolev SB  in 72nd scale  ... what is it, I don't know ...

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark