Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

Must have missed this one as I’m not on the list and what better reason to be added to the list at number 87 as an unlucky nod to Australian Cricket. 

Seeing it’s a “Classic” GB it’ll have to be something pre mainstream Heller availability in Australia so thinking one of the early 1:50 scale kits which I have a few of even though I do not model 1:48. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob S said:

Must have missed this one as I’m not on the list and what better reason to be added to the list at number 87 as an unlucky nod to Australian Cricket. 

Seeing it’s a “Classic” GB it’ll have to be something pre mainstream Heller availability in Australia so thinking one of the early 1:50 scale kits which I have a few of even though I do not model 1:48. 

Rob, welcome along!

Those 1:50 scale Heller kits were very much of a time and certainly within the scope of this GB, looking forward to what you come up with.

Anyone else want to join?

Any original Heller mould, originally released before 1 Jan 1986 (but subsequently re-released or released by another manufacturer), is eligible.

Come and join us in October...

• Thanks 1

A question, is it allowed to add aftermarket bits? I probably would want to get a set of wooden blocks for the ship rather than the awful plastic ones in the box. Would that disqualify the build?

(... if it does, we should also all use only Heller paints, right?? :) )

Some of these kits may have been stash residents for years and the decals useless or missing the odd part or two, it would be a shame for the kit not to get finished for the sake of these things, therefore, aftermarket goodies are allowed.

In fact, my kit, a modern re-issue of one originally released in 1981 will be featuring aftermarket resin, vacform canopies, white metal small arms and possibly decals, the core kit is still the good old Fennec.

• Like 1

I've had a bit of luck.

A fellow collector has recently bought a load of early Heller kits for his collection. Some of his older kits have been moved on as better versions appear. One gem has come my way, a rather rare  Arc En Ciel  Heller No. L335  in 1:75 scale.

20200814-142755.jpg

20200814-142852.jpg

20200814-143914.jpg

It's incomplete, with only the box top and one end piece. One radiator, some of the glazing, the transfers and the stand are missing. The radiator I can cast. The glazing is all flat, so no worries there and I'm sure a stand won't be a problem. That makes it a builder! Perfect for this GB in fact.

The transfers look to be the only sticking point but I've only owned the kit for half a day!

This one will be my main contribution to the GB, I've wanted one of these for ages.

Tony.

• Like 12

Now the Kit I built as a kid is out of the way this is the next GB I intend signing up to - excluding the end of month blitzbuild.

I intend building a F-84 Thunderjet I have the 1993 boxing of this 1978 kit and the Dragon Rapide  form the last time it seems to have appeared under the Heller banner in 1996 but first issued in 1979. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Now the Kit I built as a kid is out of the way this is the next GB I intend signing up to - excluding the end of month blitzbuild.

I intend building a F-84 Thunderjet I have the 1993 boxing of this 1978 kit and the Dragon Rapide  form the last time it seems to have appeared under the Heller banner in 1996 but first issued in 1979. 

Paul,

Welcome to the GB and those are both great choices.  The Thunderjet was one of the first kits I made using aftermarket decals - USAF ones from Modeldecal sheet 50 to be precise.  I look forward to seeing both of these come together.

Anyone else want to join?  I think we can squeeze a few more inside :whistle:

After which you can relax by taking your time building a kit originally moulded by Heller before 1 Jan 1986, it doesn't have to be in a Heller boxing, it can be a later re-release and you can even use aftermarket too!  Look on the positives!!

1 minute ago, Wez said:

After which you can relax by taking your time building a kit originally moulded by Heller before 1 Jan 1986, it doesn't have to be in a Heller boxing, it can be a later re-release and you can even use aftermarket too!  Look on the positives!!

Yep.  That one is easy-peasy.  Already have that kit sorted...makes it really easy being it's the only Heller kit that I have.  I'd been keeping half an eye on evilBay/craigslist for a deal on another one...but it seems like ever since the madness set in, everyone wants a mint for the old kits (regardless of quality or rarity).

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Indeed there is.  29 - 31 August

Where does one find more info? I've never done one, I have a feeling I should...

1 minute ago, JeroenS said:

Where does one find more info? I've never done one, I have a feeling I should...

Have a look at previous Blitzbuilds in the Completed GBs section.  The rules will be similar.  I will send out reminders tomorrow.

• Like 1

I was about to say Enzo will probably be setting up a post for it in the next few days...and along he comes.

Time to go see if he's planted some tracking devices around here.....

• Haha 2

I posted pictures of my builder Arc En Ceil above. Here's a couple of shots of a kit that I won't be building, a mint condition Amiot 143. Sometimes the collector in me gets a bit of attention. 😄

20200818-133501.jpg

20200818-133833.jpg

That's a very good looking illustration of a somewhat looks challenged aircraft!

It's only just arrived here and I'm over the moon with it! It's rare to find an original  kit this good, so it's destined to become part of my unbuilt collection. Fortunately I have a builder kit to get stuck into once the GB is underway.

Being a greedy bugger I also have an earlier edition boxed kit. With luck, this will all lead me to my modelling ultimate, perfect unbuilt boxed kits, alongside built versions of the same! 

Roll on October.

Tony.

• Like 9

Hard to believe that the same nation gave us the art deco elegance that's the Arc En Ceil gave us the flying bus shelter that's the Amiot 143 in roughly the same time period - what were they thinking? :doh:

Of course, the Amiot is eligible and that box to me screams out Classic Heller!

Looking forward to what October brings.

Anyone else out there interested in joining us?  The only stipulation is that the kit must be originally moulded by Heller before 1 Jan 1986, it doesn't have to be in a Heller boxing, it can be a later re-release and you can even use aftermarket too!

Sounds like a great GB to me, come and join us in October.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi folks,

Would it be ok if I join this GB with a Heller Ju52 / 3m?  After an earlier failure with the Airfix kit, I'd like to try to get a Tante Ju in the collection.

Rgds

Martin

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Hi folks,

Would it be ok if I join this GB with a Heller Ju52 / 3m?  After an earlier failure with the Airfix kit, I'd like to try to get a Tante Ju in the collection.

Rgds

Martin

Martin,

Yes, by all means, your Ju-52 would be very welcome. I have the KP boxing, it's a lovely kit, if I can find the time I'll make it as an AAC-1 Toucan for this GB.

Thanks for signing up.

Anyone else want to join us, there's plenty of room :whistle:

On 7/21/2020 at 2:11 AM, Wez said:

Well Ed, I look forward to receiving the news that you've got your grubby mitts on a Les Mureaux 117 and you'll be joining us.

Yes I have. Now I need to check my calendar. Too many projects..................

• Like 1