Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

40 minutes ago, Mr T said:

A bit late to the party with this. Built a few Heller kits in the past, but not much left in the stash, however purely by chance  last night I came across the Bf108. I put it away years ago to build an Aldon, provided I can figure out the colour scheme etc. 

Not at all late to the party, it's a few months before we start and you've got a good choice with the Bf108, nice little kit that, builds up very well.

I have an old copy of PAM News somewhere which has a scheme for a captured Bf108 in RAF colours, not quite an Aldon I know but close.  IIRC it was used by one of the RAF Groups as a hack post war and carried their codes.

I'll dig it out some time if you're interested?

Welcome to the GB.

Anyone else interested in this?

Edited by Wez

Thanks a lot, I still have some PAM News somewhere from when I lived in Sheffield and got them direct from Ron Firth when he used to come to the IPMS Branch meeting in Sheffield. Cannot believe it is 40 or so years ago now, seems if not like yesterday then at least last month. If I cannot find it i will let you know if that is alright.

55 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Thanks a lot, I still have some PAM News somewhere from when I lived in Sheffield and got them direct from Ron Firth when he used to come to the IPMS Branch meeting in Sheffield. Cannot believe it is 40 or so years ago now, seems if not like yesterday then at least last month. If I cannot find it i will let you know if that is alright.

Fine by me, I just hope I can find mine myself now - no pressure then!

I have a couple of Airfix Dragon Rapids in the stash, which according to Scalemates were initially marketed by Heller in 1979. I'm hoping building one of these will be eligible. I think I also have a 1:100 Alize as well but I haven't checked out its age yet. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 825 said:

I have a couple of Airfix Dragon Rapids in the stash, which according to Scalemates were initially marketed by Heller in 1979. I'm hoping building one of these will be eligible. I think I also have a 1:100 Alize as well but I haven't checked out its age yet. 

Both the Rapide and the Alize would be eligible, the latter appeared in the Heller Kadet range years and years ago IIRC.

Welcome to the GB.

Loads of room for plenty more, come and join us in October.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Really looking forward to this group build. Still need to decide what to choose. So many nice Heller kits in the stash!

Steve

Careful what you say - Enzo will tell you to build them all!

Pete

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Really looking forward to this group build. Still need to decide what to choose. So many nice Heller kits in the stash!

Steve

My tip, start small and get at least one in the gallery early. It's always too tempting to have grand plans when these GB's start, which is probably something I should suggest to myself every time I make a start!.

Cheers and have fun.. Dave  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

My tip, start small and get at least one in the gallery early. It's always too tempting to have grand plans when these GB's start, which is probably something I should suggest to myself every time I make a start!.

Cheers and have fun.. Dave  

So we currently have you down for the 1/72 Constellation, what was the big one you were going to do after that ? :wicked:

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

So we currently have you down for the 1/72 Constellation, what was the big one you were going to do after that ? :wicked:

1/72 Boeing 707 of course Pat!! 

Funnily enough, I probably should seriously consider building something that my employer operated in the past - I've only been working for them for or the last 32 years!! 

Cheers.. Dave   

(Actually - I don't think the Seven O qualifies, being from the Humbrol era of the mid-late eighties).  

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Funnily enough, I probably should seriously consider building something that my employer operated in the past - I've only been working for them for or the last 32 years!! 

Cheers.. Dave   

(Actually - I don't think the Seven O qualifies, being from the Humbrol era of the mid-late eighties).  

32 years in the planning..... Well it would be a bit rash to make a decision now I suppose.

Have a look on Scalemates I think some of these Heller kits are older than you think 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/01/2020 at 11:17, Wez said:

Like I said, this is where it is a bit murky in my mind.

Reading the Wikipedia page on Heller, it would appear that Borden, the owners of Humbrol bought the brand in 1981 but didn't acquire Airfix until 1986, therefore I would say that if it was originally released by Heller until 1985 it's eligible.

The Lansen was originally issued in 1982 in the black box, I would class this as a Heller kit, likewise the Constellation would be OK.  The Etendard/Super Etendard is a bit fuzzy, Scalemates shows a black box as the initial release but the logo on the box is for a later time in Heller's history but the kit was released before Borden/Humbrol's acquisition of Airfix so I would class that as OK.  It's really once the two brands became almost interchangeable it all goes south.

I think if you can find it on Scalemates, with an initial release in a Heller box with the right period logo for that release, then its good to go.

So using the Wisdom of Solomon (or is it the Wisdom of Semolina?  Let's face it, semolina is more likely)!  I came up with this deliberation (in bold text).

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave   

The Boeing 707 was released in 1985, so if applying the Wisdom of Semolina, it's eligible!

Go on, you know you want to.

• Haha 2

Just looked on Scalemates - the old Heller 707 mould has certainly been value for money - 3 versions and umpteen re-boxing from at least 4 different companies by the look of it. If they are still issuing it as a civil 707 then presumably they managed to produce the AWAC and Tanker without wrecking the original mould, unlike Airfix with the Heller Javelin mould where I gather the FAW9 version made it impossible to still produce the T3! Lord knows how well it has stood up to all that wear, though given the subject I don't suppose they produced as many as  some smaller kits..

Pete

• Like 1

I'm having a Heller of a time trying to fit model building time into my life at present, but I think this GB is far enough out that I can Air-fix something together to join in the Revell-ries.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, BlackAck said:

I'm having a Heller of a time trying to fit model building time into my life at present, but I think this GB is far enough out that I can Air-fix something together to join in the Revell-ries.   

Welcome!

Anyone else want to join in the madness?

A post full of puns isn't necessary but it is welcome.

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 22:49, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave   

I certainly hope so as I am going to make a E-8 J-Stars from the Gulf war using this as the basis.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Interesting,one of my might builds was the F-86 Sabre,just noticed Misterkit has released it with no less than 11 schemes might have to go for a multi build!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mistercraft-d-260-cl-13-f-86f-sabre--1134093

Thanks Steve, I didn’t know about these ‘Special Paint’ options. If the decals are good quality then these boxes make for great value. I’ve got a few Heller Fouga Magisters in the stash and MisterCraft does this kit as well. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks Steve, I didn’t know about these ‘Special Paint’ options. If the decals are good quality then these boxes make for great value. I’ve got a few Heller Fouga Magisters in the stash and MisterKit does this kit as well. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Well at least you know you're getting a decent kit in the box Dave,the  Mustang kit I have seemed to have the making of a good build but it is

B****y awful! Decals are good though so bides well for this kit.

Yes @stevej60, the Heller Mustang was one of my first kits and I certainly wouldn't call it their 'finest hour'. I have an original Heller Sabre and although it scores well in some areas, that incorrect wing sweep has me scratching my head at times. I still can't quite work out if it's a 6-3 wing with slats, overall it's a bit odd. Still, those decal options are certainly tasty. 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 03/01/2020 at 07:20, Rabbit Leader said:

and hope to complete all six Heller Swedish Saab kits as the year progresses. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Watch out Dave, I think Enzo has hacked into your BM account and is sending fake emails !

If its true, I doth my cap sir, especially as we now have you down for that company liveried 707 :giggle:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

If its true, I doth my cap sir, especially as we now have you down for that company liveried 707 :giggle:

mmmm... that one may be a little too far fetched, although I do have decals for a Super Connie but no kit as such! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

mmmm... that one may be a little too far fetched, although I do have decals for a Super Connie but no kit as such! 
Cheers.. Dave 

Pushing into my domain now Dave?

I have the B707 (2 in fact, one part started), the L1049 and L749 to finish one day and decals for all of them). They may be sooner though, as it IS the QANTAS centenary and our club is putting on a QANTAS display at ScaleACT20 and have a QANTAS category in the comp as well. I am going to have a busy year I think.

• Like 3