Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

Just when I was running out of Heller subjects to build, I spotted this one auction site I use from time to time.... 

y4m6yAKkUhbRgt6H9DX-Xm49NUq2ztxXvLIGDYer

I couldn't say no! I have never built the J21 so hopefully it will be delivered this week and I can make a start :)  My son can get the other 2 kits to keep him out of trouble....

I'll go and review the previous J21 builds in the GB to get some tips.

• Like 3

@Richard Tucker

I spied that auction myself, so well done for winning it. The J.21 is a very nice kit, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. I haven't used that group for a while. Seemed to be too many people willing to bid way over the odds for some stuff, even way over RRP for kits that are readily available elsewhere. That's why I stick to folk like Kingkit. Always seem to be reasonably priced compared to places like eBay where everything has the be "rare" and triple the price.

Steve

52 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

too many people willing to bid way over the odds for some stuff,

Makes my eyes water sometimes! 😂😯. The popcorn auction can be good value sometimes, although that can go over the top as well. I got another Williams Bros C46 very reasonable but maybe it's only me that likes them! 

Noticeably Heller stuff is not the flavour of the moment and some great value can be had by us‼️🇲🇫🤩

That Starfire could do with a bit of foil on it, Richard, I reckon...... 😎

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition

5 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Noticeably Heller stuff is not the flavour of the moment and some great value can be had by us‼️🇲🇫🤩

That's one has been a constant for quite some time, except for a few kits such as the Safir, Arado 96, PZL P.11 etc, Heller kits seemed to have escaped that whole online "rarity!", "collectible" thing. Maybe most folk haven't cottoned on to what a great brand Heller is, but that's great news for the rest of us illuminated ones. Just picked up a Potez 540 for £12.99, and a stash of single engine stuff for £2 each. Such a bargain, and that's doesn't seem to be unusual either. No doubt about it, second hand Heller is a satisfying and cheap way to enjoy the hobby.

Steve

• Like 3

https://www.facebook.com/groups/103995076609636/permalink/1367203643622100/

Some interesting comments too. 

Something about getting Heller to test out the mould tool about 10 years ago, the France distributor wanted to relaunch this one and other similar. 

A bit lost in translation really, but someone has got the test shot...?? 

11 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Makes my eyes water sometimes! 😂😯. The popcorn auction can be good value sometimes, although that can go over the top as well. I got another Williams Bros C46 very reasonable but maybe it's only me that likes them! 

That Starfire could do with a bit of foil on it, Richard, I reckon...... 😎

I've never foiled anything in my life so that would be a challenge.  I have a couple of NMF ww2 aircraft in the stash so maybe I'll have a go at one of them.

The Ilyushin and the Starfire will be going to my son who has picked up my modelling bug over the last few months and cannot get enough of it. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Richard Tucker said:

The Ilyushin and the Starfire will be going to my son

Heller are reissuing their Starfire this year. Looking forward to that one.

• Like 1

OK people, we're slowly creeping towards 100 completed builds but... 100 completions, while a hefty number in itself, is still under 50%, for currently 212 builds! 

So everybody, battle stations!

Let's get some more builds in that gallery, 4 weekends to go, plenty of time so no excuses!

🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

Maybe now I'll find a bit of time to crack on with some of them builds...

And you need to find a wall socket 🙂 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, JeroenS said:

OK people, we're slowly creeping towards 100 completed builds but... 100 completions, while a hefty number in itself, is still under 50%, for currently 212 builds! 

So everybody, battle stations!

Let's get some more builds in that gallery, 4 weekends to go, plenty of time so no excuses!

🙂 

Please listen to Jeroen, he's the "Good Cop" you'll never guess who gets to be "Bad Cop" :fight:  

:wink:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Oh yay.

spacer.png

Maybe now I'll find a bit of time to crack on with some of them builds...

I had to give a confused emoji for your post, Im not familiar with this kind of thing ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

15 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I had to give a confused emoji for your post, Im not familiar with this kind of thing ? 

It's the app run by our National Health Service. Picks up Bluetooth signals from other people's phones. Basically means that sometime in the last 48 hours I've been in close contact with somebody who's now tested positive for Covid-19. I now have to self-isolate at home for eight days.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

It's the app run by our National Health Service. Picks up Blueeooth signals from other people's phones. Basically means that sometime in the last 48 hours I've been in close contact with somebody who's now tested positive for Covid-19. I now have to self-isolate at home for eight days.

Ouch well that sucks, hopefully you can just get a week at home ?  We have them here in America, but its only a case of if you want to download them. Most areas in this country are finding contact tracing very hard to do as no one really feels like complying. The story goes that the contact tracer calls and is usually told to go away. Sometimes in polite terms sometimes not. I guess that's the result of having a bit too much freedom and poor healthcare service in this country. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ouch well that sucks, hopefully you can just get a week at home ?  We have them here in America, but its only a case of if you want to download them. Most areas in this country are finding contact tracing very hard to do as no one really feels like complying.

Much the same situation here, it's not compulsory to have the app and it's probably impossible to police if people are abiding by the advice it gives anyway. This latest lockdown seems to be holding by the skin of its teeth, I can imagine self-employed might find it less easy than me to just stay at home for a week like I'm about to. I work in a school, quite a bit of what I do can be done online and my livelihood is safe. So yes I'll be making the best of it and spending some time with the kits. (It's my birthday this weekend, kind of sucks to be confined to barracks!)

• Like 1

Pat the Enforcer @JOCKNEY has given you all a subtle hint, time to pull those fingers out and get some models finished although I'm publicly acknowledging I'm only going to complete one of my four builds :(

The Fennec is forging ahead slowly, more progress this weekend.

• Like 1

I'm trying, honest!

20210101-153940.jpg

The problem I'm hitting at the moment is getting my enthusiasm up. I just can't seem to apply myself to anything at the moment.

I'm putting it down to a constant diet of nothing but terrible news from just about anywhere. Our little corner of existence should be proof against this sort of thing, but sometimes reality sneaks in.

I'm having a word with myself about this state of affairs, and once I've given myself a damm good shaking I'll get the modelling spanners back out.

Where to start though!

Trying a bit of S 'n J powder on the Arc last night got me a bit fired up to finish that one...

20210115-144134.jpg

It does look a bit posh!  I'll get that one done, then all I need to do is finish half the French Airforce and a Constellation. Gulp.

Tony.

• Like 7

@TonyW That’s an impressive array all round, but oof, that Arc. It’s a thing of beauty.

Chin up, mate. We’re all in the same leaky boat, you’re among friends here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/14/2021 at 11:35 PM, TonyOD said:

The splendid 2021 Heller calendar is now going for a fiver on Dave Coley's Emporium if anyone's interested.

http://www.davecoleysemporium.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p9728_Heller-96201-1_2-RRP-2021-Calendar-.html 

I took a peek.

Passed on the calendar, found three decently priced American Muscle Cars instead. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to stash expansion.

There's also a few Ford Mustangs on the site, useful if you fancy the Mustang GB later in the year. £22 for the Revell '69 Boss 302 is the cheapest I've seen so far. Best be quick!

• Like 1