Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

Just finished my Karas, P.11 done and Bf-109E nearly there. So if I can get the Emil finished sharpish, I reckon I can get six, maybe seven done by the time the final bell rings. That won't be it for me though as I think I'm going to be building Heller for a long time yet.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:35 PM, TonyOD said:

If they never released a new kit again I wouldn’t be bothered, as so much can be done with the back catalogue. 

Amen to that. There's so many cool kits in the back catalogue to build, I won't be needing any new releases for a long time yet. However, the thought of some new kits, hopefully with a Gallic slant does appeal greatly. Max Holste Broussard or a nice Arsenal VB 10 would be nice, ta muchly.

• Like 2

The last few days has seen very mild weather where I am, even warm sunshine at one point! That has allowed me to crack on with a bit of groundwork on an extension I'm building on my house. I thought this would have to wait until spring at the earliest. The downside of this unexpected building slot is that I'm too knackered to do much of anything after a day of it, hence a slowdown on the model construction front. Hopefully it will pour down soon and I can shelter indoors with a kit or two.

I have added yet another kit to my Heller collection though, a builder Bloch 210 to accompany a recently found Collectable 210 in a box style that is new to me. The artwork on the collectable reminds me a bit of Van Gough and his Starry Night over the Rhone. Not a bad thing for a commercial kit artist to be compared with! I think it looks fantastic.

Here's the kit...

20201116-133102.jpg

And here's Vincents picture. 

Starry-night-over-the-Rhone.jpg

And here's the first Bloch 210 on the front row, the Van Goughalike on the right rear and my new arrival reissue boxing to its left. Missing is a yet to be found Black Box version.

You would be correct in thinking I have a liking for this flying furniture wagon and its different issues.

20201120-154205.jpg

Here's the contents of the reissue,

20201120-154332.jpg

20201120-154440.jpg

I bought it as a builder but now it's here I'm having doubts. It's a terrific tribute presentation of the original kit and I think I'm going to end up with a few of these reissues as collectables! 

All thoughts of building it will have to wait until I finish a few more in the line first though. Progress there depends on the good weather breaking. Gung Ho! Pray for Rain!

• Like 4

@TonyW

I like that "starry night" boxing a lot. Much prefer the artwork, and indeed, it is art. What time scale does that boxing fit into? I haven't fully conversed myself with Heller issues, dates, boxings etc. I've got some nice Heller books, but my limited grasp of French means I don't get the full benefit of owning them. A great shame that English editions weren't produced.

Steve

• Like 1

At first I thought it was the first issue Steve, but it seems it was a mid seventies kit. So far, the Bloch 210 is the only kit I've seen boxed like this, but I'm very new to all things Heller.

It turned up on 't Bay in the UK and at half the price asked in France. I didn't take a lot of persuading to buy it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

what are fellow users using for posting photos? My Flickr account is full up and I cat delete photos to add some new ones. Thats the main reason I havent posted anything recently!

I use Postimages 

10 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

what are fellow users using for posting photos? My Flickr account is full up and I cat delete photos to add some new ones. Thats the main reason I havent posted anything recently!

Im using Imgur, been on the same account since September of 17 and haven't hit a limit yet. If I can figure it out its easy. 

2 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Deleting Flickr images is relatively straight forward, although I can’t remember how I did it right now. I’m sure it’s not that hard. 
Cheers.. Dave 

How to delete photos in Flickr. Quote "Hover over You in the top left-hand corner and select Organize. Drag and drop the content to the batch area or select all the content in an album. Click Edit photos in the top left-hand corner and click Delete. You will then see the following warning. Click YES, GO AHEAD, then click it again to confirm." I've done it this way myself. Nice and easy (just like anything once you know how!)

Steve

I will look at what I am building, I have an Alouette III  I fancy, but need to work out how to make some small El Salvadorean roundels as I do not appear to have anything suitable and the Esci F5 decals I had (Greek and El Salvador are virtually the same) are unusable. Failing that I coulbe be an Aldon. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi everyone we are 2/3rds of the way through November and coming up for the 1/2 way point of our Group Build.

Despite being on our 8th page of builds and a growing number of completed builds sitting in the Gallery, many more modellers had wanted to join us previously and if they were to join now would have a much greater chance of finishing their respective builds than if they joined later.

Therefore if

@Ale85, @Andre B, @Antoine, @Arniec, @arnobiz, @Black Knight, @Col., @Des, @Grandboof, @GREG DESTEC, @ilsleyl, @Irishgreek, @Johnson, @JosephLalor, @Jur , @markrob, @MarkSH@modelling minion, @Moggy, @Mr T, @noelvt, @Orso, @Paul Bradley, @rafalbert, @Ray S, @richellis, @SAU, @Threadbear, @TonyTiger66, @Ventora3300, @vinnie the panda

would still like to join the GB they would be made very welcome, and given the number of potential kits to choose from , theres every chance we will see some completely different subjects as well. Always a bonus !

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Cheers Pat

Thanks for the reminder Pat, but as with Col. I am going to have to sit this one out. I am somewhat behind on the other GBs as it is, and with this one being rather well attended, I figured you would not miss my presence. My planned entry will reemerge in the Falklands GB in 2022. Good luck with the builds!

Dave

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Assuming you don’t want to delete images because they’re used in BM posts, there’s not much you can do. I decided the simplest option long term was to stump up for a Flickr pro account and just carry on uploading. It was a wise move, as I’ve added something like 2 gigabytes of images since, purely for sharing here. :frantic:

I am all for "free" photo hosting, but there’s always a gotcha somewhere. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Assuming you don’t want to delete images because they’re used in BM posts, there’s not much you can do. I decided the simplest option long term was to stump up for a Flickr pro account and just carry on uploading. It was a wise move, as I’ve added something like 2 gigabytes of images since, purely for sharing here. :frantic:

I am all for "free" photo hosting, but there’s always a gotcha somewhere. 

Yep, the "free" part is really not future proof usually. I used Flickr too, had Pro for a while but found it too expensive and fees will probably keep going up. I've started hosting my own photo's, I already had a couple of domains so that was an easy choice. Not for everyone though, but when you have it set up you're not dependent on sites going down or raising prices. 

12 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Not for everyone though, but when you have it set up you're not dependent on sites going down or raising prices.

I never thought of using spare capacity on my web host space - but I’m paying for that as well. I prefer Flickr, been a user since goodness knows when, and someone else does all the heavy lifting. I think paying for it is a fair exchange for the use I make of it.

31 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

I never thought of using spare capacity on my web host space - but I’m paying for that as well. I prefer Flickr, been a user since goodness knows when, and someone else does all the heavy lifting. I think paying for it is a fair exchange for the use I make of it.

I like Flickr too. Still have 955 photo's there, luckily I went Pro before I reached a 1000, and didn't add much after that, so I could still downgrade to free. My own hosting is only a little less than the Flickr Pro subscription but I have full control now. Mind, I shrink my photo's before I upload them to save space. I don't mind the quality loss, it's good enough for BM. For full size pictures Flickr Pro is certainly a very good option. 

I'll go along with Heather..... I reckon it's a fair price for Flickr Pro, for what you get. 

Pbucket just went so outrageously over the top it was out of the question. 

Like was said, nothing is free..... I'm plagued with people wanting to pay for a stick of chewing gum with a bank card. They've been told it's free banking ‼️

@JOCKNEY 

Hi, I have done some work on my model of the Mirage IV. Not as much as I want to, because of my work. But I hope to make a update in a short while. The most done is describing the model. 

Cheers,

• Like 2

Just a question about the Heller 1/48 Alouette II. According to Scalemates, it was released as a new tool in 1989. But can that be right? Isn't it the same kit as the 1/50 SA 315 Lama released in 1967?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-80479-se-313-alouette-ii--146817 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-482-sa-315b-lama--170078

1 hour ago, Bjorn said:

Just a question about the Heller 1/48 Alouette II. According to Scalemates, it was released as a new tool in 1989. But can that be right? Isn't it the same kit as the 1/50 SA 315 Lama released in 1967?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-80479-se-313-alouette-ii--146817 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-482-sa-315b-lama--170078

Hmm... Well I'm no helicopter expert Björn so I can't be sure. Scalemates is not infallable but most of the time the info is correct. I checked Wikipedia (same goes for that one) and the way I read it is that the 315B Lama was derived from the 313. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aérospatiale_Alouette_II

So that's probably why Heller new tooled the 313 in 1989. 

Somebody else may know better!

On 11/20/2020 at 10:28 PM, TonyW said:

I have added yet another kit to my Heller collection though, a builder Bloch 210 to accompany a recently found Collectable 210 in a box style that is new to me. The artwork on the collectable reminds me a bit of Van Gough and his Starry Night over the Rhone. Not a bad thing for a commercial kit artist to be compared with! I think it looks fantastic.

I've spotted one on the Bay from an overseas seller but they're asking for a couple of limbs. One limb I might stretch to but you know how it is.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Hmm... Well I'm no helicopter expert Björn so I can't be sure. Scalemates is not infallable but most of the time the info is correct. I checked Wikipedia (same goes for that one) and the way I read it is that the 315B Lama was derived from the 313. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aérospatiale_Alouette_II

So that's probably why Heller new tooled the 313 in 1989. 

Somebody else may know better!

Thanks! I've done some more research on this one now. The Lama was shorter and had a different engine. The kit is based on the 1967 Lama release, with a new sprue with the longer tail.

So the big question now is: Is it qualified for the group build? 

23 minutes ago, Bjorn said:

Thanks! I've done some more research on this one now. The Lama was shorter and had a different engine. The kit is based on the 1967 Lama release, with a new sprue with the longer tail.

So the big question now is: Is it qualified for the group build? 

Aha, so you're saying the info on Scalemates is not correct, right? Kit 80479 is a rebox of kit 482, with added parts?

Show us the proof! 🙂