Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

4 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Had another thought this evening (dangerous, I know). Being new to the whole GB thingy, do folk continue to build and add in the chat once it's over, or is that it. Only ask as I have a stack of Heller that I want to build, and two more months isn't enough. Just wondered if they carry on beyond the GB close.

You can the group builds aren't locked, only the Gallery. Or you can flag your thread and ask a mod to move it up to the proper area of the Forum. Aircraft, maritime, car, or armor ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Had another thought this evening (dangerous, I know). Being new to the whole GB thingy, do folk continue to build and add in the chat once it's over, or is that it. Only ask as I have a stack of Heller that I want to build, and two more months isn't enough. Just wondered if they carry on beyond the GB close.

I had the same thought. Still, already committed other GBs, but I’ll be sad when it’s over. 

Committed to a few more GBs myself. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the "Kits I didn't build as a kid GB". That would be another great excuse for more Heller kits. Have to say though, I think I'm going to be building Heller for a long time yet.

Steve

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Dammit, I’ve got stuck on a couple of items on page 2...

I learned today that they have stock of some things that are showing out of stock on the site. This has cost me a few quid.

Heya, I have taken a bit of a break from modelling, I'm quite busy with lots of other things at the moment. I may still start the kit at a later date, perhaps too late for this GB. I wish you all success with your builds!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jur said:

Heya, I have taken a bit of a break from modelling, I'm quite busy with lots of other things at the moment. I may still start the kit at a later date, perhaps too late for this GB. I wish you all success with your builds!

Hi Jur

Great to hear from you.

Life does have an annoying habit of getting in the way of our hobby.

This GB has a good while to go yet, so if you do decide to join us you will be very welcome. 

Best regards Pat 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lewis25049 said:

@JOCKNEY Thanks for the reminder! I'll get cracking on a build in the next few days, using the Tasman Models re-boxing of the Dragon Rapide.

Hi mate

Great to hear from you, the Rapide will be a terrific addition to the GB, I look forward to seeing you both join us soon.

Cheers Pat 

It's not like I don't have enough entries in the GB at the moment, without adding more, but one more may well get added. Eyes Bigger than Belly Syndrome I believe it's called...

Here's the contender, a great big box full of Gepard in 1.35 scale.

20201108-105523.jpg

I rarely do armour and 1.35 scale is a complete stranger to me. I paid £12 for the kit in the stained box in the picture during a buying frenzy at the last Peterborough show. I bought it with the intention of including it here as it was cheap and it was Heller and it was certainly different for me. The collector side of me was reluctant to open the sealed parts though.

Fast forward to last week and a search on 't Bay turned up what looked like a really nice boxed copy for not a lot. I ended up with it, and its a good 'un. This now means I get to build one and keep a nice unbuilt one to display alongside it, my own perfect kit scenario.

It has of course started me looking at Heller armour kits with new eyes. They have quite a few distinctive French AFV's that I'm starting to like the look of, and I can see a few making there way to me at some point.

Assuming there's time left once I've cleared a couple of kits from the current builder list, I'll add this one to the GB.

Tony.

• Like 8

I remember as a nipper looking through the Tamiya catalogue at all the 1/35 Armoured kits and the Gepard always had something about it which made want to get one.

Needless to say I never did, but if I follow this one, theres every chance of that temptation resurfacing  !

Good luck with this one

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Picked up another Heller F-86 for a whopping  £2:99 looks like another build for later on! 

They're just not "hip", or weren't until now! Builders would rather shell out £60 for a box of Tamiya borebom. 

Or Wing nuts...... How much ⁉️🤣

Well, Heller are still going, and they're not made in China either. 

Vive la difference 🇫🇷

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Vive la difference 🇫🇷

It's exactly that sense of contrariness that makes Heller so appealing. I have the impression that they've always marched to their own drum. 

I'm not about to add another build just yet, but I did have a nose at the current issue Caudron kit I bought a while back, just a peek you understand.

I compared it with the black box kit also sat here with a view to deciding on a colour scheme for when I actually build the thing. Tamiya Orange matches the current boxing perfectly. Historically completely wrong, but what a scheme!

20201111-153347.jpg

The black box artwork however, matches the primer filler I use. 

20201111-153852.jpg

Either is wrong for the actual plane. Both look quite stunning colours to me. Mind you, the polished ally version mentioned in the instructions of the older kit has a strong appeal as well. That's without mentioning the other schemes provided in the new issue box.

HELP!

• Like 4

What a dilemma! 

The metal finish looks good to me 😎

https://images.app.goo.gl/wFBejEiZhsm1ihjw6

Plenty of Flight sim and model pictures but not so much of the real thing. 

I'll have a look around the Heller Forever forum and see what they have. 

Definitely civil and it'll look great. Reminds me of something..... A bit Percival-like perhaps?? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnson said:

Polished ally would be perfect!

SnJ? :thumbsup:

S 'n J, the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to polish every Caudron in the room, accept no substitutes.

Apologies to Samuel Jackson

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rob Lyttle said:

This is a try out..... I'm trying to paste a link to a picture on Heller Forever forum pages without actual copy of the guy's picture property. 

See if it works.... 

https://servimg.com/view/11205175/9575#

Nice colour combination of that era 

Beautiful.

I think you have just complicated things even more.

• Haha 1

There's another example, of the blue scheme with the white arrow. This is the postal service apparently. But the menu is different on those pictures and no option to copy link. 

Looks like you can do a good job on the inside with this kit. 

Now put it away and concentrate ‼️😅

• Haha 1

Question about Smer, if I may?

I have just the one Smer reboxing of a Heller kit in the stash, the Corsair (which once upon a time was going to be my pick for this GB). I remember getting it dead cheap and it's one of those "Hi Tech" kits with the etchy bits. Quite a few Heller kits are available at decent prices under the Smer name, my question regards the decals that come with them: are they any good? I mean potentially I could spend plenty on new decals for ancient Heller boxings (of which I have now acquired a silly number), I can do without replacing decals for new kits too.

Any feedback welcome. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, TonyW said:

The SMER decals I've used have all gone on well. Nice and thin, no need for any sol or set stuff. The colours can be a bit bright though.

Thanks for that. I was just scanning through the Mistercraft stuff too. Lots of ex-Heller at prices that seem too good to be true. Many, many decal options but pics suggest the printing might be a bit "acid" there also.