Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

That’s a beaut @Corsairfoxfouruncle!

Funnily enough I was thinking just yesterday that “Design your own prop racer” would be a fun theme for a GB...

I already have its the racers group build, Whif's are allowed.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235060961-racers-classic-current-and-show-offs-of-all-kinds-now-30/

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I already have its the racers group build, Whif's are allowed.

Why haven’t I seen this before?!

• Sad 1

On 10/25/2020 at 5:30 PM, stevej60 said:

DISASTER of the first magnitude has struck,I nipped down for a spot of lunch not realising I hadn't put the top on the liquid poly bottle and

must have knocked the desk switching off the sockets,back up later and the full bottle has covered the work matt which has bubbled up

into a rather nice pattern but the gazelle has melted into the morass as well bottom the props,wheels and a host of other bits from the Hurricanes.

so there's a couple of builds now gone down the Swanney! it's not going my way this GB but we'll plod on,I have a bid in on something unusual

from Heller hopefully to replace the Gazelle.

Hi Steve,

like others have said, we all have bad days and each of us thinks we are having the baddest day of all. That's what's happening with my Bf 109 that  is 15 minutes away from completion. Every time I touch it, I stuff something up. As I said before, some kits are haunted! A poltergeist threw the liquid cement bottle at your kits.  Nothing to it! As you say, there is so much in our world that is testing our resilience daily, that feeling sorry for ourselves over a melted kit would seem unreasonable.

And we all are reasonable, right? Right? Say something!

So what's next?

JR

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TonyW said:

How did you know that?  😁

I have a couple of SMER Leo 451's in the same box, waiting the right moment. It looks like now is the time to get cracking on one of them!  The second one might get the all singing all dancing option later on, if it behaves itself.

A nice, cleared bench, a fresh kit ready to rock, what more could a chap want? I'll start yet another build thread this evening, where I hope to show a bit of basic construction well underway. No Falcon canopys, no plasticstrut, just a bit of fun.

20201026-084016.jpg

20201026-084339.jpg

That would look lovely in a Vichy paintjob, just saying :wicked:

Cheers Pat

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Cheers Pat

It would Pat. It would also blow any attempts to keep things simple right out the water. All that masking! All that yellow! I do have a cunning plan though... More in the build thread later.

Tony.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

I see that you are back to your flawless Mephisto impersonation...

Vade retro...

And keep having fun!

JR

• Like 2

Saw this in a 1992 issue of SAM that I picked up to help me with my Thunderbolt. I wonder if any of these are lurking in stashes anywhere?

spacer.png

Also, an ad for Kingkit before they were Kingkit? 

spacer.png

Ah, the pre-internet age...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Saw this in a 1992 issue of SAM that I picked up to help me with my Thunderbolt. I wonder if any of these are lurking in stashes anywhere?

Also, an ad for Kingkit before they were Kingkit? 

Ah, the pre-internet age...

I don't know about the Hi-Tech kits, but I've got a very nice Aeromaster Choice issue of the F84G with resin, etch and an excellent decal sheet. I think it's got a vac canopy as well - must dig it out.

The good old days when you could rock up at the tin shed in Shifnal and have a mooch - Malcolm had to stop people wandering around as he kept on getting loads of bits nicked out of boxes - mostly canopies if I remember correctly. :(

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jinxman said:

mostly canopies if I remember correctly. :(

Sounds familiar. 
Then again, that is how I ended up with a bunch of Heller kits (& other stuff) in a batch sale for 25€. 
Lucky me having several suitable Falcon canopy sets already.

Once the BoB GB Hampden is finished this week, I'll dig out the T-6 Texan without glasswork and add it to the builds here.

** Replacement decals ** 

G’day fellow Heller kit lovers. Just thought I’d alert you guys and gals to a Czech website that sells (what I think are) quite reasonably priced replacement decal sheets for those often yellowed Heller kit decals. Here’s a sample of the Dewoitine 500, 510 and Morane Saulnier 225 and 230. The colours and register look good, however they need to be individually cut away with a small overlap as they are printed on one decal film sheet. I paid $20 Aussie including postage for the lot, which is pretty close to 10GBP and they arrived in just over two weeks (quite good for these times). Anyway, not all subjects are catered for, however here’s a link and you will also see they do replacement decals for a few Matchbox kits subjects as well.  

Cheers.. Dave 

50539732467_d6d5579d82_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ha! I love their "tongue in cheek mission statement"... Your wife will be mad!

At least I hope it's meant as a joke, I'd feel sorry for Czech modellers 🤔

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great find Dave

They are missing a trick though as the obvious market for replacement decals is Novo et al, as their existing decals are always unusable.

Cheers Pat 

To true Pat, I forgot about those ‘water allergic’ Novo decals, aren’t they fun! Now out of these four decal sheets I’ve only got the MS.225, although two D.500’s are still in transit. I’ll source the others whenever the opportunity arises and give these decals a good try out to see what they’re like. 

Cheers.. Dave

I got my "replacement" Bloch 210 today, which is a form of insurance in case I don't get to the other one which is in a stash far, far away, and therefore off limits right now. The re-boxing has a very nice decal sheet, and an instruction leaflet which is all in French. Well, it is the Heller equivalent of a "Vintage Classics" re-release. There's a preview in German - with pictures - on IPMS Deutschland here: http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Heller/Heller_Bloch_210_72/Heller_Bloch-210.html

This will probably be my very last entry in this GB, to be built over the Christmas/New Year period.

• Like 3

On 10/28/2020 at 8:12 AM, JeroenS said:

At least I hope it's meant as a joke, I'd feel sorry for Czech modellers 🤔

They suffer most by not being able to go to the pub these days (at least according to Jan Polc ;) )

)

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

They suffer most by not being able to go to the pub these days (at least according to Jan Polc ;) )

A terrible state of affairs to be sure. 😒 The barrels of Staropramen may as well be sent to the UK where it will be gratefully received. 😀