Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

Morning all, the number of builds is still growing, we're currently at 131 builds! For the first time, the "projected" number of builds has cleared the 200 mark. I'm curious to see whether we'll make that magic number, there are still over 40 of us who haven't started yet so there must be some more kits itching to get built! @stevej60 is one build away from double figures, wow... 

A small request from me, regarding posting in the gallery, especially all of you with multiple builds... I'm "List Maintenance Officer" for the GB and (I hate to admit it) I usually can't tell one aircraft from the other as I'm more of a truck builder 🙂 ... Would you all be so kind as to insert a link to the build so I can make sure I'm marking the correct build as "completed"? Thanks!

To the bench!

• Like 5

DISASTER of the first magnitude has struck,I nipped down for a spot of lunch not realising I hadn't put the top on the liquid poly bottle and

must have knocked the desk switching off the sockets,back up later and the full bottle has covered the work matt which has bubbled up

into a rather nice pattern but the gazelle has melted into the morass as well bottom the props,wheels and a host of other bits from the Hurricanes.

so there's a couple of builds now gone down the Swanney! it's not going my way this GB but we'll plod on,I have a bid in on something unusual

from Heller hopefully to replace the Gazelle.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 16

11 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

And I thought my modelling day was going badly, @stevej60!

There was a time when I would have sulked for days after such event's Tony but in these days we live in it's really not the done

thing plus not having a stash I can have look for something else!

• Like 3

Oh dear,

And I though I was having more than my share of accidents lately! Still, plenty of time left and I await your next offering with interest.

Pete

Has anyone else noticed that Heller has a real liking for just marking where a small item goes, and the idea is to join with a glued butt joint.....?! 😲

No location pins and holes, or mechanical joint of any kind. 

Just surface to surface and glue. 

It seems to be a common practice for the Heller products. 

How are you all getting along with the method ⁉️

Here's the little Heller Fairies to help you 🧚🧚🧚‍♂️🧙‍♀️

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

but we'll plod on,I have a bid in on something unusual

from Heller hopefully to replace the Gazelle.

"More glue, MORE GLUE !" the bosun cried, "for we are sorely pressed...." 

Sorry for the disaster, Steve, but I'm wondering what you'll be coming up with next....! 👍

18 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

"More glue, MORE GLUE !" the bosun cried, "for we are sorely pressed...." 

Sorry for the disaster, Steve, but I'm wondering what you'll be coming up with next....! 👍

Irons already in the fire Rob:evil_laugh:

• Like 1

had a quick look on E-bay for a replacement Hurricane iic found a seller with five bagged kit's and a load of decal's for sale and picked the lot up

for twelve quid!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

had a quick look on E-bay for a replacement Hurricane iic found a seller with five bagged kit's and a load of decal's for sale and picked the lot up

for twelve quid!

Excellent, that's the spirit Steve, turn it around and get some new stuff 🙂 

Shame about the Gazelle though, we're down half the helo's in one blow!

I'm having a bit of a Modellers Block going on at the moment. I can't seem to get in the groove somehow.

It's my own fault really, each time I start a kit for the GB I begin to overcomplicate it by adding to what Heller provides. I'm like a kid let loose in a sweetshop with discovering Heller, it's all new and exciting and I'm firing off in all directions. I've even bought two reference books in French and I can't speak or read a word of the lingo! The latest book is Prudhommes Breguet 693 one. An absolute goldmine of 693 information with all you could want in the way of photo references. The downside is that I'm looking at the 693 I have on the go at the moment and I'm thinking I could add a bit here and there now I know what the cockpit and gunners position look like. It's like that with all the current GB builds I've started.

I'm going to have to break the log jam by opening up yet another kit and just building it box stock, just to get myself back on track.  No added anything, no burying myself under a pile of references, just a simple build.

I'll be clearing all the part built kits away and out of sight for a bit while I get on with one mojo restorer build. I'm off to the shed in a minute to decide what to build.

Stand back, I'm going in....

Tony.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@TonyW I’ve said before elsewhere that too much information can easily take the fun out of modelling, especially in this internet age. I actually found myself lying awake the other night pondering whether I should do the wingtips on my Thunderbolt red or not. Plus occasionally you get well-meaning fellow modellers proffering information (or you might see something in someone else’s build of the same kit)  that leads to doubt and uncertainty, or complicates what would have been a straightforward build. Nobody is forced to act on any information but sometimes I feel like I’m not a “proper modeller” unless I pursue accuracy to the nth degree. I think there’s a lot to be said for just going with what’s in the box every once in a while, but equally there’s a place for labour of love projects where the research is as important as the build and detail is all (my ongoing Dragon Rapide build, a build that I expect could take years and am happy with that! 😁)

I’ve also said that rule number one of modelling is “never trust the instructions”. I was wrong, rule number one of modelling is surely have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I bet you come back with two kits, Tony!! 

How did you know that?  😁

I have a couple of SMER Leo 451's in the same box, waiting the right moment. It looks like now is the time to get cracking on one of them!  The second one might get the all singing all dancing option later on, if it behaves itself.

A nice, cleared bench, a fresh kit ready to rock, what more could a chap want? I'll start yet another build thread this evening, where I hope to show a bit of basic construction well underway. No Falcon canopys, no plasticstrut, just a bit of fun.

20201026-084016.jpg

20201026-084339.jpg

• Like 5

@TonyW, I suggest you don’t look at the current LeO builds taking place here, there not exactly OOB, so we don't want you to stray away from your current plans this early!
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

@TonyW, I suggest you don’t look at the current LeO builds taking place here, there not exactly OOB, so we don't want you to stray away from your current plans this early!
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

About the length of that fuselage... no! I have said too much! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TonyW said:

another kit and just building it box stock, just to get myself back on track

I was just about to suggest the Vampire, with a beautiful but simple cockpit, small and simple airframe and beautiful detail everywhere. 

But

Uh-huh

Your version of "box stock" is the LeO 451, with more parts in the undercarriage than some whole fighter kits!

As it's the Heller GB: "Vous êtes votre pire ennemi".

Good luck :)

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is a bit involved, I'll give you that.

20201026-122221.jpg

And it needs sandwiching between the wing halves rather than adding later on in the build. Not one of Hellers better ideas although for a 1966 kit it's quite advanced stuff. Ditto the internal details. Not the worlds most accurate judging by the seats, but a very decent stab at it for the time.

A Vampire, in all over silver would have got the job done as a bump starter. The lack of same prevented taking the easy way out. Not to worry, I've got stuck into the Leo and so far it's going great guns. I'll start a thread later.

Tony.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Hmm, all of two whole parts, once you get past this:

F55-E6-F90-18-E1-4-A76-A13-B-7-F8448-CA5

You can build a Spitfire IX (OK, Airfix first edition) with that many parts!

Looking forward to it!

:)

Adrian

I stuck ‘em all on, then broke most of “em off again. Such fun!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Nobody is forced to act on any information but sometimes I feel like I’m not a “proper modeller” unless I pursue accuracy to the nth degree.

True but the occasional break away is worth it. I did just that recently with a build. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235080827-catch-that-tiger/&tab=comments#comment-3837463

I could have done a traditional prototype or used the companies Whif ideas. But chose to go out into left field with my build. 

• Like 2