Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

On 9/29/2020 at 5:16 PM, tangerine_sedge said:

Superdy-duperdy, off to find a suitable vendor!

Edited to add - thanks :)

Initially, it was a choice between the Jag e-type and an Alpine, so of course I selected the Renault 8 Gordini :)

Apparently a 1968 kit so the same age as me...

spacer.png

• Like 9

17 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

All the talk of Mistercraft repopping Heller moulds got me thinking, and cruising around the Scalemates histories. 

I've always liked the Republic F84E with the straight wings and tip tanks. I picked up a Mistercraft kit some time ago....... And it was awful! Would be a waste of glue 😕

But it doesn't look like that one is a Heller product. The history chart is a complicated tree but my reading is that the Heller tool is a different one. 

Am I right, and is any good?? 

I'll watch the build list for some WIPs.. I think there's a few F84Es lined up for this 

Rob,

Heller never did an F-84E, they did do an F-84G in 1/72nd one of which is in the GB. They also did the F/RF-84F in the fumbly thumbs and reluctant to buy an optivisor scale.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, tangerine_sedge said:

so of course I selected the Renault 8 Gordini

Cool!

I'd definitely like to see one of those.  Original 1968 catalogue number was L760.

Weren't the rear engined rear wheel drive?  I wonder how many cases of wine they carried up front to keep some weight on the steering wheels? :hmmm:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tangerine_sedge said:

Initially, it was a choice between the Jag e-type and an Alpine, so of course I selected the Renault 8 Gordini :)

Apparently a 1968 kit so the same age as me...

spacer.png

Ooo! I like that a lot. Nice choice for the GB. Didn't realise Heller kitted this in 1/24. Guess who's off to spend more money!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If anyone was wavering about joining this GB, do join it, we're a bit light on numbers :whistle:

If someone was in a quandary over subject choice and you have a ship, a few more of those would be very welcome.  Anything Heller from pre-1986 is welcome really,

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I will sign up for this! First timer... So many pages to review - do I need to specify a kit at the outset? I think I must have at least 20 old Heller kits in the stash...

I just finished a Heller Hurricane

Thanks in advance!

Dave G aka SledDawg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Since I'm extremely optimistic about how many kits I can build at the same time (or more likely, just a fool :) ), here are four more entries:

spacer.png

50404758012_ce53548f64_c.jpg

The Viggen will be an AJS 37 with special red "The Show Must Go On" livery, while the Lansen and Safir probably will be camouflaged SwAF ones. If I manage to build all Saabs and the Rover I added before, I'll start the Mirage. It was originally bought for an optimistic (i told you...) kitbash project to build an IIIB combining it with Eduard's IIIC, but since Kinetic has released an IIIBE, I'll build it instead to get my modern tool two-seated Mirage III. So this will probably be an IIIB out of the box. 

Seven entries... Wish me luck! :D 

Just realised that I have promised to build all Heller Saabs except the J 21A. So that one will of course be my eighth entry. Did I mention that I sometimes can be just a little too optimistic? 

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Nice to see the SAAB’s being represented, I was starting to doubt that we wouldn’t be getting any, then realised that this GB hasn’t even started yet! I’m sure we will see a few more Swedish designed aircraft here and although I wont play my hand just yet, do have all six of them in my collection/stash as well. I did build the Safir earlier this year and really enjoyed it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

49582158387_4680e618fa_b.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Weren't the rear engined rear wheel drive?  I wonder how many cases of wine they carried up front to keep some weight on the steering wheels? :hmmm:

Yup. They were. My mum had one a looooong time ago.
Gordini's had 14" wheels instead of 13" but no real adaptation in the odometer to compensate I believe. Good thing there weren't that many speedtraps back in those days!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SledDawg said:

I will sign up for this! First timer... So many pages to review - do I need to specify a kit at the outset? I think I must have at least 20 old Heller kits in the stash...

I just finished a Heller Hurricane

Thanks in advance!

Dave G aka SledDawg

Hi @SledDawg, welcome to the forums and to the Heller GB! Great place to start. Group builds are a lot of fun, just make sure you check the rules post here: 

As soon as you're ready for it you can post a build thread in the GB area here: 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/705-heller-classic-gb/ 

Just "Start a new topic". Lots of build threads there already, people are champing at the bit!

They all have to wait just a little bit longer though 🙂 

Had another Heller bird touch down on the doorstep today.  I hadn't actually set out to buy anything, but had been checking out what options were available for a 1/48 M2000C.  From my digging around the general conclusion was the Heller kit had the better overall shape, good surface detail, though perhaps lacking a bit in the cockpit/gear wells/etc.  Checked on general pricing...nah.  Not in a particular need for this one right now, we'll just hold off.  A couple weeks later I get a message from a seller on eBay (I had 1 on my watchlist to keep an eye on pricing changes) for an offer that was too good to pass up on.

Alas it's too new for the classic GB (92 release, based on 2 seat '91 molds per Scalemates), so with a bit of luck maybe the Dassault GB can get enough followers for an entry there.

full

• Like 4

I accidently took another look at the Hannants site. Somehow a set of Techmod decals and Falcon canopies got in my basket. The only way I could get them out was by buying them. Honest, I couldn't see any other way.

Not only that, a couple of single engine fighters came along for the ride.

Where will it all end? Probably when the world supply of Heller kits dries up. If that happens, I have a good idea where a fair proportion are!

Tony.

• Haha 8

8 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Don't ya just hate it when that happens?

It's a regular enough occurence these days that I'm becoming hardened to it. Luckily I only have to justify it to the cats and they don't seem to care :D :D :D 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2020 at 6:48 PM, Wez said:

According to the reference tome, the E-3 was a variant of kit 305, which was the catalogue number of the original Boeing 707 release, I would suggest that makes it eligible.

OK, thanks. Looks like I missed the earlier discussion on its eligibility.

So time to put my money where my mouth is, E-3A it is!  Time for some research as to mods required, etc I'll start a thread soon. Won't be starting the kit for at least a week as I will be interstate from Monday ( and no quarantining, yeah!)

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Won't be starting the kit for at least a week as I will be interstate from Monday ( and no quarantining, yeah!)

“Interstate”?

So the ACT is a State?  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Hi Dom, welcome to the forums and what better place to start than participating in a group build. As has been said to me: the GB section of Britmodeller is like Hotel California... 

And it's true!

Your proposed build is elligible for this GB so have at it! You don't have to wait to post your build thread (join the crowd) but you will have to wait for Saturday to start the actual build🙂 

Click the big "Start new topic" button from this place and take it from there...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/705-heller-classic-gb/ 

Cheers for that. I do appreciate the help navigating forums.

If it hasn't been said already, see you all in Hell...er!

Dom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Just realised that I have promised to build all Heller Saabs except the J 21A. So that one will of course be my eighth entry. Did I mention that I sometimes can be just a little too optimistic? 

I'm building the J-21A, see here:

.... so between us, we'll build all the Saabs 😉

• Like 2

I have decided it was about time that I signed up to a BM Group Build. After all, I have only been a member for over 13 years!

I will be building the Heller 1/24 Citroen 15 CV (80763) which is the 2013 boxing of a kit that was originally released in 1978 (Model Number 763) and will post a build thread when I have dug out my kit from the depths of my modelling den.

Dave

• Like 8

5 hours ago, helios16v said:

Had another Heller bird touch down on the doorstep today.  I hadn't actually set out to buy anything, but had been checking out what options were available for a 1/48 M2000C.  From my digging around the general conclusion was the Heller kit had the better overall shape, good surface detail, though perhaps lacking a bit in the cockpit/gear wells/etc.  Checked on general pricing...nah.  Not in a particular need for this one right now, we'll just hold off.  A couple weeks later I get a message from a seller on eBay (I had 1 on my watchlist to keep an eye on pricing changes) for an offer that was too good to pass up on.

Alas it's too new for the classic GB (92 release, based on 2 seat '91 molds per Scalemates), so with a bit of luck maybe the Dassault GB can get enough followers for an entry there.

full

Hi Chris

You can build it for the French Fancy Gb that should pass the vote in November ..

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

You can build it for the French Fancy Gb that should pass the vote in November

I hope so!