Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

I accidentally put this in the wrong place yesterday. And today!!! :tmi::coat:

Thanks @Rabbit Leader 

'Hope this is OK by the Mods.

I stumbled across this listing on eBay for a wide variety of Heller kits

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heller-Humbrol-1-72-Vintage-Model-Aircraft-Your-Choice-of-Model/283563154340?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180801154222%26meid%3D54122491124c45849c21ceedec712c25%26pid%3D100044%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D224164001155%26itm%3D283563154340%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2508447%26algv%3DItemStripV5%26brand%3DHeller&_trksid=p2508447.c100044.m43681

Might help any members looking for a particular kit or a source of inspiration?

I have no link to the seller, and no interest financially in the sale

HTH

SD'

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I need therapy. It's not even 9am and I've just bought a Smer rebox of the LeO 451 for eleven quid inclusive on ebay.

Help,

Adrian

When I start looking at Amiots I will be checking myself in at the Priory...

You still have a long way to go. Like a Cricketer start getting nervous about the room with the padded walls when you’ve got enough of them to be in the nineties. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Well done Richard

In one fell swoop we have completed 100% of buses on the build list, congratulations :yahoo:

Cheers Pat

Not quite Pat. No one has put up the Heller 1:12 Renault RE20 / RE23 yet as I’m sure both JPJ and Rene Arnoux reckoned it was a bit of a bus sometimes. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

When I got home from work today, there was a card through my door saying a parcel had been left with my neighbour. It was rather a large one...

Heller-Autobus.jpg

Hi Richard,

Back in around 1980 I aquired a Heller catalogue which has this bus on the front cover - always thought it looked impressive and will watch your build with great interest.

Good luck!

Pete

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Back in around 1980 I aquired a Heller catalogue which has this bus on the front cover - always thought it looked impressive 

Hello Pete

It was the 1982 Catalogue which was the 25th Anniversary of Heller. 

I’ll see if I can upload a photo of it later tonight. 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

I tried searching the thread, but gave up in the end!

I am choosing between the following :

Jag e-type Le Mans - I think this is based on an old kit but with updated parts - is this latest boxing eligible?

Alpine a110 - very old kit but with ipdated parts - is the latest boxing eligible?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tangerine_sedge said:

Jag e-type Le Mans - I think this is based on an old kit but with updated parts - is this latest boxing eligible?

If you mean this one: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-80783-jaguar-type-e-racing--946808

it's a rebox of kit 709 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-709-jaguar-type-e-3l8-fhc--123087 which was released in 1978 so yes, definitely elligible. 

20 minutes ago, tangerine_sedge said:

Alpine a110 - very old kit but with ipdated parts - is the latest boxing eligible?

Same goes for the A110, its first release was in 1960 something so yes, have a go!

I found an advert in the first ever issue of Scale Models, back in Oct. 1969, showing a few Heller kit prices. Gulp! 

20200929-125820.jpg

That looks to me to be about triple the price of a similar sized Airfix kit. No wonder I don't remember seeing any at the time. Modeltoys continued advertising in the magazine but Heller kits don't get a mention again, at least in the first year.

• Like 3

Indeed. Heller weren't cheap. A FROG Dewoitine 520 would have been three bob, a third of the price of the Heller one. Probably explains why I didn't build any. But:

B-52D Stratofortress     1/72     239/6 

Took me a minute to remember how it worked. Eleven and a half quid. Out of pocket money reach for me!:rofl:

[edit - doh! Still didn’t get it! 6d short of twelve quid at £11 19s 6d, of course.]

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JeroenS said:

If you mean this one: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-80783-jaguar-type-e-racing--946808

it's a rebox of kit 709 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-709-jaguar-type-e-3l8-fhc--123087 which was released in 1978 so yes, definitely elligible. 

Same goes for the A110, its first release was in 1960 something so yes, have a go!

Superdy-duperdy, off to find a suitable vendor!

Edited to add - thanks :)

Hi Guys,

Am I correct in thinking Heller never released a kit of the Centre (Farman) F 222 or the apparently similar but not quite related Centre NC 223? Now there would be a kit I would seriously consider building - a bit like a Potez 540 on steroids, with 4 engines underslung - two tractor and two pusher, and it did bomb Germany and Italy by night several times!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

9 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Guys,

Am I correct in thinking Heller never released a kit of the Centre (Farman) F 222 or the apparently similar but not quite related Centre NC 223? Now there would be a kit I would seriously consider building - a bit like a Potez 540 on steroids, with 4 engines underslung - two tractor and two pusher, and it did bomb Germany and Italy by night several times!

You are right.

There are decent Aerovac vacform kits of F.222 and F.224 and Azur short run kits of F.223  but .... not Heller

• Like 1

Quick question. I've been eyeing up some Montex masks for my PZL.23 build. I've only ever used the yellow tape masks and tried vinyl masks once, and that put me off for life. Are the Montex masks any good? Thought I'd ask before taking the plunge.

TIA;

Steve

1 minute ago, fightersweep said:

Quick question. I've been eyeing up some Montex masks for my PZL.23 build. I've only ever used the yellow tape masks and tried vinyl masks once, and that put me off for life. Are the Montex masks any good? Thought I'd ask before taking the plunge.

Sadly, I've always found Montext masks to be too thik.  If the area to be masked is relatively flat, you should be fine.  However if there is a sharp curve in the area, the mask simply will not conform to the surface.  Also, I've found that they can only be used for a short period.  Leave them on too long and the adhesive sets hard and makes them very difficult to remove.  However, for those like me who have a glacial build progress, that might be a good thing.  It might force me to get a move on with my build. :) 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Enzo! In that case, I think I'll give them a miss and use my Tamiya tape instead and hours of cutting and swearing. Did a Bf-109K canopy yesteday. Took nearly three hours and a whole dictionary of swear words. I'd forgotten just how fiddly 1/72 canopies are.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

and use my Tamiya tape instead and hours of cutting and swearing.

Always works for me!  :lol:    Mind you the cutting is usually restricted to my fingers...

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Thanks Enzo! In that case, I think I'll give them a miss and use my Tamiya tape instead and hours of cutting and swearing. Did a Bf-109K canopy yesteday. Took nearly three hours and a whole dictionary of swear words. I'd forgotten just how fiddly 1/72 canopies are.

I masked the canopy on my Leo last night. I swear I was crying by the time I'd finished.