Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

I have no more money. I ran out of stash space several months ago and I have nowhere to put any more completed models. So naturally I've been cruising online model shops this afternoon after a few of those gorgeous early WW2 French twins. Some of the cars too, and I don't even build cars. It's an affliction or a disease or something, and I don't want the cure.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Can't build the kits yet, curses, There's nothing to stop me building a few bases for the deluge of built models I'm hoping for!

20200928-104225.jpg

And trying a few of them out with current built models see's me happy enough for today. That still leaves a few days thumb twiddling though...

20200928-103730.jpg

• Like 10

I'll be building the Ju52, like Heather.  However, these are the only built Hellers in my collection, sadly; the Heller Spit XVI.  A bit of a step forward compared to the old Airfix MkIXs that were my standard Spifire kit in the '70s.

2020-09-26_10-06-43

The far XVI is oob and is bedecked in Hasegawa decals for a Mk VIII.  The near one has a few enhancements to it viz cowling top, prop / spinner, radiators and rudder.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Well Steve, I have an E-3A to build with extra resin for bring it up to a later standard,

t would be great to see this kit built Ray,you know you want too!

47 minutes ago, Richard Humm said:

When I got home from work today, there was a card through my door saying a parcel had been left with my neighbour. It was rather a large one...

Heller-Autobus.jpg

Well done Richard

In one fell swoop we have completed 100% of buses on the build list, congratulations :yahoo:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mike romeo said:

2020-09-26_10-06-43

Two lovely builds there, and superb finishes. The Heller XVI is one of my favourite kits from my youth. Funny, as I ended up working on a full size XVI. Are those finishes airbrushed or hairy stick?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mike romeo said:

I'll be building the Ju52, like Heather.  However, these are the only built Hellers in my collection, sadly; the Heller Spit XVI.  A bit of a step forward compared to the old Airfix MkIXs that were my standard Spifire kit in the '70s.

2020-09-26_10-06-43

The far XVI is oob and is bedecked in Hasegawa decals for a Mk VIII.  The near one has a few enhancements to it viz cowling top, prop / spinner, radiators and rudder.

Rgds

Martin

Likewise the only Heller build I’ve ever done up to now was the Spit XVI, one of a bunch of Spitfires I knocked together about ten years ago when I first got into it. Build wasn’t up to much, model long since lost but I remember enjoying the kit.

spacer.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Likewise the only Heller build I’ve ever done up to now was the Spit XVI, one of a bunch of Spitfires I knocked together about ten years ago when I first got into it. Build wasn’t up to much, model long since lost but I remember enjoying the kit.

spacer.png

Nice silver finish.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Nice silver finish.

Rattlecan special. I learned pretty quickly how unforgiving it is, as evidenced by the dodgy wing roots. I might actually build this one again though, it’s a looker alright.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Five sleeps mate.

If anyone is that desperate, you could always jump on a plane and flyover to this part of the world. Remember we lot are 10 hours ahead of your time so you might be able to put one in the Gallery before any of the UK modelling family wake up!! 

Oh.. forgot about COVID.. not exactly easy to get on a plane these days, plus you’ll be in quarantine for two weeks when you get here, best to stay put I think. 

Cheers.. Dave 

10 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

If anyone is that desperate, you could always jump on a plane and flyover to this part of the world. Remember we lot are 10 hours ahead of your time so you might be able to put one in the Gallery before any of the UK modelling family wake up!! 

Oh.. forgot about COVID.. not exactly easy to get on a plane these days, plus you’ll be in quarantine for two weeks when you get here, best to stay put I think. 

Cheers.. Dave 

So thats 2 weeks uninterrupted compulsory modelling time ? :idea:

Where do I sign up :yahoo:

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

@Romeo Alpha Yankee, I’d like to see that current e-3a built, had a look to see if one was possibility for should I fail in tomorrow’s auction for the CFM boxing, couldn’t find pics of the aircraft heller decals were for in current config

My kit is an older boxing, you could also make a French E-3F from it as well, The CFMs are now gone from the kit.

I had a look in the kit and found 2 E-3B/Cs in there! The other was destined to become an E-6B Mercury with Flightpath conversion. I also have another one that was started as a E-8C which stalled due to paint issues, I could entertain restarting that build as well to finish with this E-3B/C if I start it.

There is only one decal sheet, (again parted out years ago) but the box shows it also had the NATO anniversary scheme included which again was given away years ago.

Here is a scan of the decals and paint instructions. I would use an aftermarket sheet for the unit markings if I do go ahead with it for a Pacific Air Forces aircraft based in Kadena, Japan.

50396660991_3255ca6b90_b.jpg

50395972483_c53232e942_b.jpg

I found an inbox review of the new release, same aircraft number as mine, the decal sheet has been updated a little with an instrument panel decal

Damn it, I might have to build it now!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

So thats 2 weeks uninterrupted compulsory modelling time ? :idea:

Where do I sign up :yahoo:

Are you sure, have not heard the best about the food at the lodgings you are put in Pat, and you pay for the privilege as well, got a spare AU$2500 to add to you budget for that 2 week stay?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1