Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Is that what you call the Missus!

I call the missus, ex missus, on the phone as she's in Scotland and I'm not

But one of my storage units is an old van and the mechanics call it Mildred

• Haha 3

So, how does the Heller GB compare to previous group builds? Going by the number of replies and signed up members, it seems pretty big to me. If group builds were Top Trump cards, I'd want the Heller card in my deck!

1 hour ago, fightersweep said:

So, how does the Heller GB compare to previous group builds? Going by the number of replies and signed up members, it seems pretty big to me. If group builds were Top Trump cards, I'd want the Heller card in my deck!

You're right to, I don't think anything has come close!

Sometimes I worry about the monster I created but then I think I'm filling a void so vive le différence !

Let's have this as a celebration of some truly great kits that deserve a bit of the limelight, in many cases, they were the pinnacle of perfection at the time of their release!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Guys,

I have 3 potential builds for this GB, but I could do with a bit of information on colour schemes for my Mirage IV. I have the 1996 boxing, but the most recent instructions still suggest Humbrol Hu 27 "Sea Gray" and Hu 102 "Army Green" for the main camo colours - any comments/suggestions welcome. Of course the problem with grey and green is that they are notorious for fading/weathering as witness things like the various Vulcans seen on display ourtdoors a while back. The You Tube video of the last Mirage IV take off and the one at Bruntingthorpe will no doubt be far lighter than when originally painted!

Also, the decal sheet still has the typical Mirage red with yellow outline decs for the wing mounted speed brakes, but the only build review I could find says they were just painted in camo paint. Again, any comments? Looking on line I would say the grey and green are similar to the paint on the Mirage III, the grey being lighter and the green perhaps a little darker. There is no sign of the upper wing air brakes being red/yellow but I have yet to see a good pic of the under wing.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

2 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Hi Wez, add me to the list please.

I've got a Heller Bloch MB.174A3 on order, so might as well join the party.

Thanks

Martin

Thanks Martin for signing up, the Bloch will be very welcome, a true Heller classic!  You are number 99 on the list BTW.

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Guys,

I have 3 potential builds for this GB, but I could do with a bit of information on colour schemes for my Mirage IV. I have the 1996 boxing, but the most recent instructions still suggest Humbrol Hu 27 "Sea Gray" and Hu 102 "Army Green" for the main camo colours - any comments/suggestions welcome. Of course the problem with grey and green is that they are notorious for fading/weathering as witness things like the various Vulcans seen on display ourtdoors a while back. The You Tube video of the last Mirage IV take off and the one at Bruntingthorpe will no doubt be far lighter than when originally painted!

Also, the decal sheet still has the typical Mirage red with yellow outline decs for the wing mounted speed brakes, but the only build review I could find says they were just painted in camo paint. Again, any comments? Looking on line I would say the grey and green are similar to the paint on the Mirage III, the grey being lighter and the green perhaps a little darker. There is no sign of the upper wing air brakes being red/yellow but I have yet to see a good pic of the under wing.

Pete

Pete,

I'm away from any references right now (and I don't have a lot on the IV).  The colours on the Mirage III and IV would be the same, being the Celomar produced equivalents of NATO Dark sea Grey and Dark Green, when fresh these colours do bleach out quite a lot.

I'm going to put a call out to @PaulT 876, he leads the Mirage SIG for IPMS UK and should know the answer if anyone does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Wez,

I had already decided that it would one or another versions of dark sea grey originally, and that the green might be close to FS *4079, but I guess it depends on how faded I want it. Any info will be appreciated.

Pete

By conicidence, I've just finished this morning.

P1110660.JPG

The GB should suit me well, as Heller have been relatively prolific producers of 1/100 scale stuff.  I've plenty of options in my stash, including two more Jaguars :winkgrin:

P1110661.JPG

Cheers

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hopefully will see a mirage IV out of me, however as it stands I could be in with something bigger, though with six days left on what is a rare boxing I fear the bid will go beyond my limit

Do you want me to add you to the list of participants?

I've said it before but a Mirage IV would be very welcome, something bigger is very intriguing though...

25 minutes ago, Wez said:

I've said it before but a Mirage IV would be very welcome, something bigger is very intriguing though...

And... We would be celebrating a "century" GB 🙂

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Unkempt said:

I just won an auction for an unboxed 1/72nd Dragon Rapide and, turns out, it's a Heller - I think I can wait a week or two to start it so I'm in.

Nice pick. They're on offer at silly money these days.

Edited by TonyOD

1 hour ago, Wez said:

No need to add me, as for the something, at the risk of jinxing the auction it has multiple engines and surprised me it was tooled just early enough to be eligible 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unkempt said:

I just won an auction for an unboxed 1/72nd Dragon Rapide and, turns out, it's a Heller - I think I can wait a week or two to start it so I'm in.

You're in at number 100!

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

No need to add me, as for the something, at the risk of jinxing the auction it has multiple engines and surprised me it was tooled just early enough to be eligible 

Understood, good luck!

• Like 3

We now have 100 signed up for our humble GB, I believe this is the biggest GB in Britmodeller history, thanks to you all for signing up!

I'm really looking forward to some diverse builds, good luck to all.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Wez said:

I’m really looking forward to some diverse builds

This GB is totally going to be my crib sheet for my my future Heller builds. 100 is a great result! 💯 

• Like 3

Wow! 100 signed up and possibly the biggest GB in Britmodeller history? That's pretty impressive and it would seem that classic Heller has likely trumped previous classic Airfix, Frog and Matchbox GBs. That in itself is pretty surprising, but it also illustrates just how popular "heritage" GBs are. 

There's so many great kits and subjects to choose from that I have a feeling this GB is going to fly by!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Wow! 100 signed up and possibly the biggest GB in Britmodeller history?

It would certainly appear that way. Wez has done a grand job canvassing so many supporters and with many people opting to build more than one kit, the final output is going to be MASSIVE! Not long now everyone. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi

I'm going to put a call out to @PaulT 876, he leads the Mirage SIG for IPMS UK and should know the answer if anyone does.

For my Mirage III -IVA/P cam colours i mix them they are not NATO colours or FS colours i use Humbrol most of the time.

Aim at work now so can not do a lot, as it will be some time before you paint it i will try to sort some info ref the a/c.

Which a/c are you doing and the time frame.

Aim just getting info togeather for my Mirage IVA build.

Give me time and i will sort some thing.

Paul

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

First and foremost, thank you all for signing up, it's gratifying to learn as someone who proposes a GB that others share your enthusiasm for a subject enough for it to get the go-ahead, that 100 of you have signed up is particularly gratifying and what's more, very humbling, thank you all.

The GB thread is now open and can be found here.  Get out there and set forth your proposed builds!

The rules are here, please make sure you understand them before posting your GB WIP, any questions, ask your hosts.

So cut across to the GB and let's see your build threads, remember the GB starts on 3rd October and most of all HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks again for signing up to the biggest GB we've had on Britmodeller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Being my first GB, I totally got caught out! Didn't realise the done thing was to play your hand of kits before the start date, so I there I was rummaging through the Heller stash this morning. Soon sorted that out though and I'm raring to go!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1