Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

On 9/13/2020 at 9:34 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

OK guys and gals, Steve’s shown his wears... anyone want to take up the Heller stash photo challenge? 

Dave 

If it's an invite, I guess it doesn't count as bragging, so here's my early Museum series kits, with one interloper...

20200915-112342.jpg

Followed by a few black box issues.

IMG-1087.jpg

20200915-112957.jpg

References, both early and current. I need these to give me a bit of a clue, as my knowledge of Heller and all things French is pretty non existent. More will be tracked down with a bit of luck.

20200915-113854.jpg

And to finish, here's most of the GB builders gathered together so far. The SMER kits can still be found for around a tenner. The others are bargain bin items picked up as they show themselves, with the exception of the Arc en Ciel which cost a bit due to its rarity. I wasn't going to miss the chance to build one though! What I'm really looking forward to, is having a decent number of built kits to display alongside the collectables.

20200915-113514.jpg

Only a couple of weeks to go, then le glue comes out!

Tony.

• Like 9

Caw.... take a look at that stash!!! 
@Johnson, they all look to be in excellent condition and if this is just a small taste on what’s on offer, we may be breaking BM GB build records in no time. We Co-hosts are in for a busy time, thank God there’s five of us! 
Cheers.. Dave

Since I am already streched between 3 GBs and the Interceptir GB is coming up as well, I shall commut only with one small kit to this one: The Revell rebox of the Alpha Jet.

I am just not sure if I do the 1000000 flight hours OOB scheme or go for something else. Suggestions?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Alas, not me Dave!

I must have been having a shocker last night... that's three BM errors in threads I made! 

I should have known it was @TonyW's all along! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TonyW said:

If it's an invite, I guess it doesn't count as bragging, so here's my early Museum series kits, with one interloper...

20200915-112342.jpg

Would that be the LeO 451 by any chance? 
Do check the decals, mine were misprinted (the blue was smudged on half the decals). Luckily I didn't have to pay full price and the ones I need are safe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Would that be the LeO 451 by any chance? 
Do check the decals, mine were misprinted (the blue was smudged on half the decals). Luckily I didn't have to pay full price and the ones I need are safe.

It's the DEWOITINE 501 on the top row. Eschelle series rather than Mvsee. I'll check the LeO transfers later, thanks for the nod.

• Like 1

@TonyW

You're certainly not bragging (and that certainly wasn't my intention either), as I love to see piles of classic kits, especially Heller. That's a fine stash of Gallic plastic you have there, and a nice selection of box styles. Makes my collector half feel all warm and fuzzy.

Steve

• Thanks 1

I was fiddling around w/ the MiG a little bit before work.  The rear fuselage is a bit twisted & the vert stab bent over a bit.  Going to take a bit of work to straighten that out.  Hopefully nothing that some near boiling water and gentle persuasive pressure can't fix.

On 13/09/2020 at 22:34, Rabbit Leader said:

What a fantastic collection @fightersweepSteve!. I’d challenge you to a game of “You show me yours, I’ll show you mine”, however it would appear I’d fall embarrassingly short of that great stash. Been trying to source a Bf109B myself for a while and I’m sure they’ll prove to be popular within this GB. I hope you at least get the chance to build and complete at least 1/2 a dozen of those. 

OK guys and gals, Steve’s shown his wears... anyone want to take up the Heller stash photo challenge? 

Cheers and can’t wait for this to start.. Dave 

Good afternoon Dave

I would have liked to participate but the few boxes that I have in stock are stored in boxes but I can already announce that I would start by building the T28 Fennec

https://heller-forever.forumactif.com/t11191-north-american-t28-trojan-fennec-1-72eme-ref-80279

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Dave

I would have liked to participate but the few boxes that I have in stock are stored in boxes but I can already announce that I would start by building the T28 Fennec

https://heller-forever.forumactif.com/t11191-north-american-t28-trojan-fennec-1-72eme-ref-80279

Best Regards

Patrice

Patrice, that's two of us then!

41 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Dave

A very nice choice Patrice and I’m sure the Fenec will be a popular kit for this GB. I’d likely build one too, however don’t have one in the stash and it’s doubtful that any overseas orders would arrive in a suitable timeframe. I do like the decals they provide in the new box, quite a lovely package on offer there. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave

The decals in these new re-releases are far superior to the originals, the printing is on a par with aftermarket decals.

This boxing of the Fennec also includes the gun pods for the first time, a definite bonus as far as I'm concerned!

The only down side of my version of this kit is the canopy was badly scuffed, never mind, it just gave me an excuse to buy some aftermarket vacform ones.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 12:51 PM, TonyW said:

Tony.

No words, just ...

drooling-homer-simpson_jpg.png

• Haha 2

Dribbly Homer will need a Duff or two after seeing the latest arrival here...

20200916-162335.jpg

20200916-162421.jpg

Yup, a really nice, all original, complete and sealed in the bag Arc en Ciel. I might even crack open a celebration beer or two myself!

An Ebay win, not cheap but these things never will be. It's a treat to myself to sit alongside the one I'm going to build for the GB. It's not a builder. The two together will be the centrepiece of my Heller collection.

I got carried away like this back in the FROG GB with a Comet airliner. The kit I built came out well, though I say it myself, so I treated myself to a mint in the box kit to display with it. I'm hoping the Arc build will follow suit.

Tony.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Dribbly Homer will need a Duff or two after seeing the latest arrival here...

20200916-162335.jpg

20200916-162421.jpg

Yup, a really nice, all original, complete and sealed in the bag Arc en Ciel. I might even crack open a celebration beer or two myself!

An Ebay win, not cheap but these things never will be. It's a treat to myself to sit alongside the one I'm going to build for the GB. It's not a builder. The two together will be the centrepiece of my Heller collection.

I got carried away like this back in the FROG GB with a Comet airliner. The kit I built came out well, though I say it myself, so I treated myself to a mint in the box kit to display with it. I'm hoping the Arc build will follow suit.

Tony.

The Holy Grail of Heller collectables, at least as far as aircraft kits go!

Re you auction triumph: I wonder if this impending GB has inflated the prices of classic Heller kits on the internet?

Edited by klr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, klr said:

The Holy Grail of Heller collectables, at least as far as aircraft kits go!

Re you auction triumph: I wonder if this impending GB has inflated the prices of classic Heller kits on the internet?

I think the ARC sets its own price level and it's seldom low.

I do seem to be noticing a bit of price creep lately on the run of the mill Heller kits though. Mind you, most kit prices asked seem to be high at the moment. American car kit prices have certainly been on the rise. Sub £15 kits are pretty much a thing of the past it would seem.

13 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I think the ARC sets its own price level and it's seldom low.

I do seem to be noticing a bit of price creep lately on the run of the mill Heller kits though. Mind you, most kit prices asked seem to be high at the moment. American car kit prices have certainly been on the rise. Sub £15 kits are pretty much a thing of the past it would seem.

Thankfully, my local hobby shop still has some good bargains. Why, even today ... but that would be telling. Maybe for another thread.

I did order some Heller kits via my local shop, to cover certain eventualities (at least that's my story), and they were reasonably priced, including the Heller equivalent of "Vintage Classics". But when they might materialise ... who knows?

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 12:51 PM, TonyW said:

20200915-113514.jpg

Tony.

I've just only used that Carpena 72.41 decal sheet. Be very careful with these and use lots of decal setter/softener. The white fuselage band wants to come off even when sealed under one coat of gloss varnish and two coats of matt. Same goes for the tail fin numbers. The roundels were a bit better.

Thanks for the warning. I usually clear coat any old decals before I use them and will be doing that if I end up using these sheets. The only reliable old decals seem to be anything by FROG. I've yet to be let down by them although the NOVO ones that look so similar, and can easily fool you, are universally bad!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I have to say, having spent some time browsing through this thread I find myself a little bewitched by the sheer variety of the Heller range! 

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile...

• Haha 7

33 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I have to say, having spent some time browsing through this thread I find myself a little bewitched by the sheer variety of the Heller range! 

7 minutes ago, TonyW said:

You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile...

50349967327_5154aa4b5f_c.jpg

• Haha 9