Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

6 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The technical term for this is a Deep Stash.

That's one rabbit hole I'm trying to avoid....

I can't say if I'm having much success with it, but we're trying.  :rofl2:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

The technical term for this is a Deep Stash.

Another term would be An Accident Waiting to Happen. I'm waiting for someone to phone me and say "... um, you know that big pile of kits you've got in that room?"

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, klr said:

Another term would be An Accident Waiting to Happen. I'm waiting for someone to phone me and say "... um, you know that big pile of kits you've got in that room?"

:yikes:  

15 hours ago, klr said:

...and good risk management means that you might want to spread your stash over a number of rooms. 😀

Unfortunately this means asking children to go and live at their Mother's, which thinking about it is actually a plus. A win-win situation! 😀

I had my Ouragans out last night for a play in preparation, a triple-build is in order I think. 🙈

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

I had my Ouragans out last night for a play in preparation,

:yikes:

11 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

a triple-build is in order I think

Good!  That's what we like to see!

• Like 1

A bit of GB preparation has been going on here this weekend, along with a warm up build that sort of fits...

A while back I bought a SMER Bloch 200 thinking it was a reboxed Heller kit. Turns out I was wrong and Heller had nothing to do with the kit! It's very Heller like, parts breakdown and so on, but it just won't fit here though.

Best I finish it as a warm up then! It will be a good get me in the mood build.

20200905-174734.jpg

Vichy scheme, straight out the box, using Humbrol mid stone as a dark sand substitute and Humbrol 88 as called out in the instructions for the green. My interpretation of the kits rather indistinct cammo scheme is a bit tighter than SMER suggest but I like the look. It might not be hyper accurate, but I'm enjoying the build quite a bit, so that's just fine from where I'm sitting. 

I compared the SMER kit against an early Heller 210 and they are nothing like each other!  As usual with GB's, my learning curve is rather steep.

20200905-174948.jpg

I also have a part done Potez 540 from the current reissue range that needs finishing.

20200905-174741.jpg

20200905-174757.jpg

That one is too far into the build to add to the Group Build so I might as well try to finish it before the kick off.  With a bit of luck I'll be right in my stride, rather than burned out, once the GB starts next month.

The future is bright, the future is Heller!

Tony.

• Like 4

Hello hosts - sorry that I'm late. I've been planning for a long time to participate but apparently forgot to register. My entry will be a Bf 109F in North Africa colours.

Thanks, Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to warm up a little I worked my way through some of my Heller stash....

IMG-20200902-103857.jpg

:D

For the GB I will stick with my plan to build the Pinta. I just ordered aftermarket blocks.

• Like 15

12 hours ago, Jur said:

Just to warm up a little I worked my way through some of my Heller stash....

:D

For the GB I will stick with my plan to build the Pinta. I just ordered aftermarket blocks.

Nice collection Jur, very nice indeed.

Glad you're sticking with the Pinta, it will be great to see some ships in the GB, especially a sailing ship.

• Thanks 1

Is the Heller TE20 eligible for this Group Build

I am going to do the MF 2680 but it looks quite simple so I am going to do the TE20 at the same time but don't know if I can post it on here 

1 hour ago, cherry268 said:

Aha.... Finally decoded this one. 

We're talking Tractors here, yes? 😍Don't know the answer, are you worried about issue dates etc? TE20 would be a real treat. I've driven them many times with all sorts on behind. The only thing that beat me was a 4 wheeled trailer with the front axle on a steering bogey. I was alright until I had to reverse!! 

1 hour ago, cherry268 said:

I am going to do the MF 2680 but it looks quite simple so I am going to do the TE20 at the same time but don't know if I can post it on here 

The TE20 is a 2015 release by the looks of it so that would make it not eligible.

20 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Aha.... Finally decoded this one. 

We're talking Tractors here, yes? 😍Don't know the answer, are you worried about issue dates etc? TE20 would be a real treat. I've driven them many times with all sorts on behind. The only thing that beat me was a 4 wheeled trailer with the front axle on a steering bogey. I was alright until I had to reverse!! 

Yes, correct. Takes some doing but it is only practice. Its easier if you have independent brakes on rear wheels. What is impressive to see a 16 tonne truck do it. Very practiced I think, especially full of straw which is what was on it when I saw the driver back up to our workshop.

"The TE20 is a 2015 release by the looks of it so that would make it not eligible."

I though as much. Still I am going to it anyway as I always do two models at a time, just won't put it on this group build.

Thanks

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, cherry268 said:

I though as much. Still I am going to it anyway as I always do two models at a time, just won't put it on this group build.

It would be nice to see it appear in the Vehicle section. 

@helios16v

Very nice Super Etendard! Nice sealed box too. I've picked up a few shrink wrapped Heller "black boxes" and Heller/Humbrol "orange" boxes recently. Trouble is, is that it creates a conflict between my "builder self" and "collector self" and the kit sits in the stash while I decide whether to build it, or add it to my classic kit collection. I usually end up buying two!

It's funny, but I hated it when Airfix went to the photo/blueprint boxings, but I've always quite liked the Heller/Humbrol photo boxes for some reason. They are very eye catching I suppose.

Steve

• Like 1

@fightersweep Truth be told, it's sealed no longer!  :whistle:  I wanted to evaluate the condition of the decals to determine if I needed to be looking for another set.  Because well, we all know how well 30 year old kit decals can be.  Total crapshoot.  These ones, while not horrible, are looking very reminiscent of the Fujimi RF-4E decals I attempted to use a while back...and that didn't go very well at all.  So I think I'm going to do the safe thing and just look for some replacements now so I will be prepared.

Had a flip through the kit.  Despite the raised panel lines and lack of cockpit detail...it actually doesn't look like a bad little kit.  I've actually picked up a Masters pitot and an Eduard PE sheet to dress it up a touch (if the bits fit w/o too much modification).  Looking forward to moving on with this one after the MiG.

@helios16v

Well, there's also nothing quite like opening up a kit that's been sealed for nearly 40 years. Has a time capsule quality and feel about it, and finally the kit is going to be built as originally intended.

Agree on the decals! I'm figuring out which of my planned GB kits need decal replacements. I recall Heller decals as being very thick and matt and difficult to get to settle down. I did find a bit of a Heller decal sheet oddity/rarity the other day....I'll post a photo later today.

Looking forward to seeing the Etendard come together. I don't think I built many Heller jets as I was prop obsessed at the time. I think I did build the SAAB Tunnan and Javelin back in the day and perhaps I should use the GB to turn that around.

Only a few weeks to go now!!

Is it too late to join in on this if not do I have to tell you now what I wish to build 

it would be automotive something like the d8ss which is currently available but tooled in 1979 according to scalemates

would that be eligible 

what are the rules exactly ,could you point me in the right direction

sorry for the Newbie  questions but ,well I’m a newbie😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ottopv said:

Is it too late to join in on this if not do I have to tell you now what I wish to build 

No...  and no...  :thumbsup:  

the rules are in the first post of this thread.    If your kit was tooled in 1979, it will certainly be eligible. 

:welcome: to the groupbuild madness.  :)  

7 minutes ago, Ottopv said:

... would that be eligible, what are the rules exactly ,could you point me in the right direction

As 1/5 of the Heller GB co-host team can I first say welcome aboard. Essentially the rules are that any original Heller moulded/ tooled kit that was released prior to the end of 1985 is eligible for this GB. Kits can be modified and AM parts can be included. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2