Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

On 13/06/2020 at 16:54, Islesy said:

Have a couple of potentials ready to work on, the BF108B and Caudron Renault 714 (is the Mister Craft kit a Redbox?), but I fancy a Polikarpov I-153 or the Mirage IV in 1:72...

So yes, have decided that my initial entries into this GB will be the BF108B and the Caudron 714.

1/72 Heller Caudron Renault 714

The BF108B is a particularly nice example, box is battered but the contents are still sealed, so it will be good to crack on with these.

1/72 Heller Messerschmidt BF108B Taifun

Don’t want to wish away the time, but I’m looking forward to the start of this GB!

Edited by Islesy
Changed photo hosting site
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Islesy said:

my initial entries into this GB will be the BF108B and the Caudron 714.

Good choices both, I've always liked the outrageous looks of the Coudron, must have been a sod to taxi though!

The Bf-108 is a sweet little kit, I made one many years ago and I have a later boxing in the stash.

Interesting that box bottom showing kits in the same series, I was completely unaware that Heller did a Spad-7, logical that they should but I've never seen one.

One thing you're going to need to learn how to do for the GB so that we can all see your progress is to learn how to embed pictures, there's a guide here:

Looking forward to seeing your Coudron and Bf-108 in the GB when it starts Islesy, good luck with them.

Hi Wez

Are you trying to cover as many of the kits Heller produced over the time in question  ?

During the Frog GB we struggled to get anything other than aircraft built as the other stuff are becoming rare now days.

The Airfix GB however had all sorts of stuff from pontoon bridges to garden birds !

Dont forget to have a look at the WIP and ready for inspection on cars, tanks boats etc parts of BM, lots of potential Heller kits there as well.

cheers Pat 

I know this is a big ask, but would it be possible to have a list of kits eligible. It could be cut & pasted from another source and cleaned for our purposes.

I seem to remember in this string that there is a book available of Heller manufacture much like ones available for Frog - does anyone know of its title & author to save me wading through umpteen posts ?

cheers

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Wez

Are you trying to cover as many of the kits Heller produced over the time in question  ?

During the Frog GB we struggled to get anything other than aircraft built as the other stuff are becoming rare now days.

The Airfix GB however had all sorts of stuff from pontoon bridges to garden birds !

Dont forget to have a look at the WIP and ready for inspection on cars, tanks boats etc parts of BM, lots of potential Heller kits there as well.

cheers Pat 

I want this GB to be open to anything made by Heller during the time period, Heller's production far outstripped Frog's though so it's a mighty long list of kits, but it is open to so much more than aircraft, whatever people have in their stash really!

Nothing says 1960's European spy movie more than one of these, so one may have accidentally fallen into my basket...   :whistle:

As for going around the other parts of BM to dragoon persuade more people to sign up, I've made a start but it'll have to fit in when I have time - I've got my degree work to concentrate on first and foremost, now if somebody was to take on the role of recruiting sergeant, well, who am I to stop them and I would of course be very grateful.

1 hour ago, Adrian Hills said:

I know this is a big ask, but would it be possible to have a list of kits eligible. It could be cut & pasted from another source and cleaned for our purposes.

I seem to remember in this string that there is a book available of Heller manufacture much like ones available for Frog - does anyone know of its title & author to save me wading through umpteen posts ?

cheers

You mean this book...

Yep, I've got that but I refer you to my earlier comment about needing to concentrate on my degree work first and foremost, it's really difficult fitting it in when you're working full time as well!

So whilst I don't have the time to produce a sanitised list, I am willing to answer enquiries as to whether a kit is eligible if that's a help.

• Like 3

I have looked into mine stash and found that currently only 3 kits by Heller left there: Two parasol Moranes (MS 225 and MS 230) and Leo 451... I have just finished two Mureaux (the 117 and second, converted into 115), Bloch 210 was a donor of parts for scratch build of Bloch 220 and currently I am constructing Potez 651 from another Heller classic - Potez 540. Earlier this year I did Bucker 133 Jungmeister.  So I have just run out of most of Heller kits, which were in mine stash for years...

Anyway - please count me "in" most likely with those two small Moranes.

Regards

J-W

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JWM said:

I have looked into mine stash and found that currently only 3 kits by Heller left there: Two parasol Moranes (MS 225 and MS 230) and Leo 451... I have just finished two Mureaux (the 117 and second, converted into 115), Bloch 210 was a donor of parts for scratch build of Bloch 220 and currently I am constructing Potez 651 from another Heller classic - Potez 540. Earlier this year I did Bucker 133 Jungmeister.  So I have just run out of most of Heller kits, which were in mine stash for years...

Anyway - please count me "in" most likely with those two small Moranes.

Regards

J-W

Jerzy,

Thanks for signing up, I'm sure that whatever you join us with, the results would be interesting.

Just for clarification, this GB is open to other peoples boxings of Heller kits so if you've got SMER or KP mouldings, they would be welcome too.

Anyone else want to join?

• Like 1

This sounds really nice, I still have a Mirage IV in the stash with very cool aftermarket decals. I will join the fun!

Regards

Rob

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CYA said:

This sounds really nice, I still have a Mirage IV in the stash with very cool aftermarket decals. I will join the fun!

Regards

Rob

Always a crowd pleaser the Heller Mirage IV, good choice Rob.

Welcome and thanks for signing up.

Any more for what looks like is shaping up to become a bumper Classic GB?

Hi - I've been skulking around the GB forum a bit to see what it's all about, I think I'm going to have a go at the Heller GB as my first attempt. I'm going to do the Smer Corsair which I'm reliably informed is a reboxing of the original Heller kit (though the purist in me thinks I should actually find a "Heller" branded box!) I'm aware there's a Corsair GB going on at the moment but I'm not feeling confident enough yet and besides I'm being given the runaround by a helicopter right now.

I did an Airfix Corsair recently, it came out, well, alright. My aim will be to build the Heller one to a better standard! As a kit surely can't be any more basic?

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Hi - I've been skulking around the GB forum a bit to see what it's all about, I think I'm going to have a go at the Heller GB as my first attempt. I'm going to do the Smer Corsair which I'm reliably informed is a reboxing of the original Heller kit (though the purist in me thinks I should actually find a "Heller" branded box!) I'm aware there's a Corsair GB going on at the moment but I'm not feeling confident enough yet and besides I'm being given the runaround by a helicopter right now.

I did an Airfix Corsair recently, it came out, well, alright. My aim will be to build the Heller one to a better standard! As a kit surely can't be any more basic?

spacer.png

Well Tony,

You did a good job there with what is probably one of the oldest Corsair kits about, I see no reason why you couldn't do such a good job with the SMER boxing of the Heller kit either, as you can see from @John Masters RFI from the Corsair STGB, it makes up into a nice kit.

In this GB we're allowing aftermarket goodies and decals so you can continue to model to your theme.

For a GB you have to put a WIP thread up in the GB forum, the kit can't be more than 25% complete before the GB starts, having fun is compulsory.

Thanks for signing up to this GB and welcome.

Anyone else went to join this little party?

Any original Heller mould from before 1986 is welcome, it doesn't matter whose box it's in, Heller kits have been released by many others such a Airfix, Buzzkit, Encore, KP, Lodela, Revell, SMER and Tasman amongst others.

• Thanks 1

Right then all, looking at the number of entrants to this GB, I took a large gulp then went scurrying to the High Lord of Group Builds @Enzo Matrix :mike:

In order to give myself and the two other co-hosts @Heather Kay and @Rabbit Leader some time to do some modelling as well as cat wrangle you lot, Enzo has agreed we can have more co-hosts to share the love!

So I'm looking to you wonderful people for volunteers for two more co-hosts, there's no pressure...   ...yet :fight:

Names on a postcard PM.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

I'm relieved about the aftermarket bit @Wez cos I've already picked my decals!

The Smer kit I've ordered comes with a photoetch thingy to tart it up a bit. I gather the cockpit is a tad spartan.

I've seen @John Masters' build, and will be nicking all his ideas. 😉

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

I've seen @John Masters' build, and will be nicking all his ideas. 

2 minutes ago, John Masters said:

All of which I nicked from others!

Which is the beauty of this site and GBs in particular!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have we got many car makers on board yet? 

Heller have some real beauties in their catalogue. Especially French cars. The last one I did was the Delage D8ss. Engine, steering, spoked wheels, full interior.... The lot ‼️

Gonna do more as and when I can get them 😎

• Like 2

I have looked through my stash for Heller kits, and the only one I have is the 1/100 scale 'Le Soleil Royal'. Now, I do not know about you, but I think I may be pushing it a bit to get that done within the timescale, even though I would not try to do anything about its rather small bottom underwater hull section. I think I may have to visit KingKit and check out what they have, especially non-aviation subjects so I can do something different!

Cheers,

Ray

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ray S said:

I have looked through my stash for Heller kits, and the only one I have is the 1/100 scale 'Le Soleil Royal'. Now, I do not know about you, but I think I may be pushing it a bit to get that done within the timescale, even though I would not try to do anything about its rather small bottom underwater hull section. I think I may have to visit KingKit and check out what they have, especially non-aviation subjects so I can do something different!

Cheers,

Ray

Obviously, Le Soleil Royal would be very welcome but you have to do what you think you can cope with.

Hopefully, my non aircraft Heller purchase from KingKit will arrive soon.

On 6/27/2020 at 1:18 PM, Islesy said:

So yes, have decided that my initial entries into this GB will be the BF108B and the Caudron 714.

The BF108B is a particularly nice example, box is battered but the contents are still sealed, so it will be good to crack on with these.

Don’t want to wish away the time, but I’m looking forward to the start of this GB!

That Bf 108 artwork has always been one of my favourites. The kit isn't half bad either. I have a 1990s Heller re-issue in the stash, as well as a recent Mistercraft boxing with about a zillion decal options.

And yes, I too am itching to start on this GB. I keep chopping and changing my short-list. It currently looks something like:

Mirage 2000C

MB 210

F-86

Alpha Jet

Breguet 693

Saab J.21

... but October is a long time away.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, klr said:

That Bf 108 artwork has always been one of my favourites. The kit isn't half bad either. I have a 1990s Heller re-issue in the stash, as well as a recent Mistercraft boxing with about a zillion decal options.

And yes, I too am itching to start on this GB. I keep chopping and changing my short-list. It currently looks something like:

Mirage 2000C

MB 210

F-86

Alpha Jet

Breguet 693

Saab J.21

... but October is a long time away.

Yes, very fond of the Bf-108, lovely little kit.

As for your list, the F-86 has always been a favourite, some exquisite moulding - especially the wheels (nobody else comes close), the Alpha Jet is lovely...   ...I've got one in the stash :hmmm:, the Saab is nice too...   ...let's face it, they're all good choices, but remember, don't fall into the WWEMD trap!

Me, I've got a Fennec that's definitely going to get built, beyond that who knows???

22 hours ago, Wez said:

Right then all, looking at the number of entrants to this GB, I took a large gulp then went scurrying to the High Lord of Group Builds @Enzo Matrix :mike:

In order to give myself and the two other co-hosts @Heather Kay and @Rabbit Leader some time to do some modelling as well as cat wrangle you lot, Enzo has agreed we can have more co-hosts to share the love!

So I'm looking to you wonderful people for volunteers for two more co-hosts, there's no pressure...   ...yet :fight:

Names on a postcard PM.

Thanks in advance.

Well it's been almost a full day passed and I haven't been exactly inundated with the sound of feet from volunteers flocking to my door to be additional co-hosts...   ...I'd hate to lean on people but...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Wez said:

Well it's been almost a full day passed and I haven't been exactly inundated with the sound of feet from volunteers flocking to my door to be additional co-hosts...   ...I'd hate to lean on people but...

I hadn't read your call to arms yet @Wez... and I wasn't paying attention just now, everybody else took a step back when I was looking at the sky so I guess I just volunteered 😉

Aah why not, should be fun

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Wez said:

Sorry Wez I would but have the Panther build at the same time as this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry Wez I would but have the Panther build at the same time as this. 

Dennis, I quite understand some of the usual suspects will already have things on their plate but thanks nonetheless.

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

I hadn't read your call to arms yet @Wez... and I wasn't paying attention just now, everybody else took a step back when I was looking at the sky so I guess I just volunteered 😉

Aah why not, should be fun

Stout Yeoman!

Duly co-opted, as they used to say when I was in the mob, a volunteer is better than a pressed man!

I'm sure @Heather Kay and @Rabbit Leader will also be glad of the helping hand.

We still have room for at least another co-host so don't be shy, it's a valuable experience!

• Like 1

Well done @JeroenS, it should be lots of fun and glad to have you on board. I’ve been a little quiet on this website of late, however should be back to normal comms by the time this GB is up and running (most probably sooner). 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2