Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

Wee bump for this one!

Heller did many interesting subjects on land, sea and air, anything moulded by Heller up until and including 1985, it's eligible, after 1985 it's not.

Somebody else's kit in a Heller box isn't eligible, it has to be an original Heller mould.

Any Heller moulded subject in somebody else's box is eligible.

So go and search your stash, you're bound to have something that was a Heller original so come and join us in October.

• Thanks 1

Very much looking forward to this Wez.

As time goes on I start to love these kits more and more.

We appear to be passing the ‘trench line’ phase of model manufacturing and now people are *purchasing* river sets.

I’m not a river counter, but Heller weren’t big culprits for boilerplate rivets and kits like e.g. their Bf-109K still look just ‘right’.

One of the last kits I tried to build a few years ago, but with added detail. An AML cockpit detail set, True Details wheels and those ‘Master’ wotsit (I cant remember the name :shrug: ) real metal fun barrels. AZ Models spinner swirl transfers.

Its over 25% but will be finished one day.

Sorry if I have asked this before, but are we allowed to use a little after market detailing on them like the above example?

The Dewoitine 510 is still a nice kit with plenty of after market goodies available 😊 🤗.

TT

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Sorry if I have asked this before, but are we allowed to use a little after market detailing on them like the above example?

Tony, the only stipulation is that it's a Heller mould from before 1986.

It's your model, you build it how you like, I'm really not going to stop somebody building a super-detailed masterpiece if they want or straight from the box if that's what suits them, the point is it all starts with a Heller moulded kit.

TBH, I'd expect a lot of the decals for kits in the stash would be shot and don't forget, Heller themselves used some dubious colours for markings sometimes.

So feel free to use whatever you want, I'll be using some resin and a vacform canopy on my Fennec.

I too am really looking forward to this GB!

I'd also like to welcome anyone else who's yet to sign up.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

I may have an old MiG-21 (from 1973) squirreled away.  I think it may have had some painting & cockpit assembly done, but don't recall.  I'll have to dig it out and verify it's still under 25%.

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

I may have an old MiG-21 (from 1973) squirreled away.  I think it may have had some painting & cockpit assembly done, but don't recall.  I'll have to dig it out and verify it's still under 25%.

Chris,

Is this your way of saying you're in for this one? 

7 minutes ago, Wez said:

Chris,

Is this your way of saying you're in for this one? 

Interested if the timing ends up working (end of the year is going to be busy, busy in the GB World for me) and as long as the existing kit meets the <25% criteria.  It's been many moons since I've opened the kit, I don't recall exactly where it was at.

25 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Interested if the timing ends up working (end of the year is going to be busy, busy in the GB World for me) and as long as the existing kit meets the <25% criteria.  It's been many moons since I've opened the kit, I don't recall exactly where it was at.

Well, you'll be very welcome if you do join us

The usual weekend push for this one.

If you've never participated in a Group Build before and you have a Heller kit in the stash, then this GB is for you!

If you have participated in a Group Build before and you have a Heller kit in the stash, then this GB is for you!

Original Heller moulds up until 1986 are welcome, it doesn't matter whose box they're in (SMER, KP, Airfix, Lodela, Revell just to name a few who've issued Heller moulds in their boxes), they're welcome.

Non Heller moulds in Heller boxes aren't welcome however, it's all about Heller this one!

• Like 3

Hi @Wez, I just followed your cunningly planted link on desk flyer's.....

And I'll throw my heller hat into the ring for later this year. I do enjoy a good run in with a heller classic 

The only other GB I've done is the Lockheed one last year, and they're highly motivational! 

(just thought, if desk flyer is new on here, I wonder if he knows to click little underline links...? 🤔

• Thanks 1

A bit late now, but here's part of my haul from this years Peterborough show. The reason for the bulk buying was the very low prices asked, how about three for a tenner at the Aviation Bookshop stand? It would have been rude not to go overboard!

IMG-0921.jpg

IMG-0920.jpg

And although I'm not much of an AFV modeller, £12 for this Geppard could not be ignored. The box is beat up enough for me to consider the kit a builder.

IMG-0929.jpg

And to finish tonights instalment, yet another catalogue, this time from 1965. The Heller bug has gotten hold of me good and proper!

IMG-1020.jpg

• Like 5

The build pile is getting bigger by the minute Charlie. The Museum series are my favorites and I have a few stashed away and ready to go.

I'm cursed in a way as I collect as well as build and those black box kits are really growing on the collector in me. I first bought a couple of cheapies to build but now I have my doubts. 

Luckily, Heller kits seem to be very affordable at the moment and beat up boxed kits can fetch very little. Perfect builders!

11 hours ago, TonyW said:

The Heller bug has gotten hold of me good and proper!

You have!

I have fond memories of the Ar.96, Bf.108, Bf109B/C and the Bf.109K, in fact I still have some of them in my stash.

TBH, anything from that haul would be extremely welcome.

On 18/03/2020 at 22:18, rob Lyttle said:

Hi @Wez, I just followed your cunningly planted link on desk flyer's.....

And I'll throw my heller hat into the ring for later this year. I do enjoy a good run in with a heller classic 

The only other GB I've done is the Lockheed one last year, and they're highly motivational! 

(just thought, if desk flyer is new on here, I wonder if he knows to click little underline links...? 🤔

Welcome Rob, I'm sure you'll enjoy this one too.

On 3/14/2020 at 2:49 PM, Wez said:

If you've never participated in a Group Build before and you have a Heller kit in the stash, then this GB is for you!

If you have participated in a Group Build before and you have a Heller kit in the stash, then this GB is for you!

Or...

If you've never participated in a Group Build before and you don’t have have a Heller kit in the stash - GO AND FIND ONE - this GB is for you!

:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Desk Flyer said:

I haven't participated in a group build before... May I join in with this one, please?

Firstly, welcome to the throng!  Secondly, good choice.

In case you don't know a Group Build is one where all of the participating modellers make a model to a common theme within a given timescale, in this case Heller moulded kits to be built between 3 Oct 2020 - 24 Jan 2021 .

Common to all group builds are:

• The model has to be less than 25% complete before the start of the GB (so this allows you to use something you'd already started from the stash).
  • You have your own build thread and you post regular updates on your progress, not just start a thread and then suddenly pop up with the finished article.  That sort of behaviour isn't really in keeping with the spirit of a GB.
  • Have fun!  There's a lot of banter and advice in the GB thread.
  • You can start any time during the GB period.
  • Hopefully, you'll complete your build and you can put it up in the GB Gallery, many GB's, this one included, have a vote to choose their favourite model of the GB (you're not allowed to canvas for votes though).

This GB allows you to build any original Heller mould that was first released by Heller up until 31st Dec 1985, it can be in any companies box, but it has to be an original Heller mould - your Arado fits this criteria so you're OK there.

In this GB you're free to use whatever aftermarket goodies you want to, as long it's based upon a Heller mould.

But the main criteria is to have fun, GBs can be quite infectious, once you've joined one, you'll join another, then another, then...

• Like 3

Page 16 here, and I'm wondering if there is a list in there somewhere of, say, Heller toolings that have been rerun by other makers, or do we just use our nous, like what we know about the company and it's output?? 

Do we have Heller boffins on board? 

Although my little DH Dragon Rapide is a straight up Heller product anyway, and the big Connie keeps waving at me from the box. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Page 16 here, and I'm wondering if there is a list in there somewhere of, say, Heller toolings that have been rerun by other makers, or do we just use our nous, like what we know about the company and it's output?? 

Do we have Heller boffins on board? 

Although my little DH Dragon Rapide is a straight up Heller product anyway, and the big Connie keeps waving at me from the box. 

Well Rob, unless all of the other manufacturers who have had books released detailing their history, then it's a case of using your nouse.

There is such a book for Heller themselves but I don't recall such a beast for KP, SMER, Revell of Germany, Lodela, Encore to name but a few so it would be a case of offering your offering up to the collective for the Wisdom of Semolina (see earlier posts), for judgement.

On the other hand, there's no shadow of doubt over the Connie or Dragon Rapide so...

• Thanks 1

On 21/03/2020 at 19:39, TonyW said:

And although I'm not much of an AFV modeller, £12 for this Geppard could not be ignored. The box is beat up enough for me to consider the kit a builder.

IMG-0929.jpg

Hi Tony

I couldn't help but notice the Gepard has 320 parts !

I thought HMS Victory was the only kit that had that many bits, and the Gerard's only got 2 cannons :D

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi @Wez

Have you had any nibbles from your adverts in the other sections of BM ?

Boats, tanks,  cars, trucks, spaceships ( I think ! ) what's stopping them ?

Cheers Pat

Pat,

I had one enquiry back and unfortunately that kit wasn't eligible.

I don't know what's holding them back, perhaps they'll all flood in once the GB starts.

On the bright side, I was in the stash yesterday and found the Heller Dewoitine D.500/501 so that will be made during the GB.

If there is somebody out there with a load of Heller kits in their stash, still undecided whether to join us or not, rest assured they'd be very welcome in this GB.

• Like 2

Hi @JOCKNEY, I've signed up a while ago with Scania's LB141, what with the Nordic GB being such fun I couldn't resist. So that's at least one wheely thingy accounted for, I'm sure there must be others hidden in these 16 pages. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1