Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

14 minutes ago, Wez said:

A very welcome choice if I may say so, welcome to the throng!

Is this your way...

...of expressing an interest Martin?  You'd be very welcome with this choice.

Any one else want to join?

Yes Wez but let me get the kit in my hands before I commit ;)

M

16 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes Wez but let me get the kit in my hands before I commit ;)

M

OK, I'll not add you to the list just yet...

21 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'm sure I'll find one, Wez. Count me in :)

Duly added, thank you sir!

5 hours ago, vinnie the panda said:

I'm up for this build but can we use aftermarket decals? I have an early T-6G "Texan" but the decals are completely shot, I do have aftermarket ones though?

By all means yes, I don't want to exclude kits just because of knackered decals, I'm expecting that some of these kits may have been stash lurker for a long time so it's understandable the decals may be past it.

I've taken the diabolical liberty of adding you to the list.

Plenty of room for others to join, go search your stashes and give these kits some love!

• Like 2

Heller; so many good memories, I've always liked Heller a lot. For me Heller is easily on par with Airfix and Frog for example. Interesting and different choice of subjects, and even the instruction sheets had something special to them. Some models had their quirks, but no worse than others of the same vintage.

And then they did it, they released the 1/8 scale Citroen 15 Six, was it in -76 or -77? A dream kit for a kid with some years experience and already pretty good at model building. I looked at it and read reviews about it. But it didn't happen back then. Too much other stuff competing for the little money available at the time...

Things are different today. The stash of kits is mighty, since many years. And indeed there is also that big 1/8 box of Citroen in the stash since long, albeit with a newer (less attractive) box art, but the similar lovely old instructions.

15six1.jpg

It's always fascinating to open the box and go through the content, even at my current age.

15six2.jpg

I must build it some day, it has a priority. Will I have the time available when this GB starts? Difficult to know right now. But if I have, it would be a good time to dig into it...

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

I must build it some day, it has a priority. Will I have the time available when this GB starts? Difficult to know right now. But if I have, it would be a good time to dig into it...

Does that mean you're in Jörgen?

6 minutes ago, Wez said:

Does that mean you're in Jörgen?

If time allows when this GB comes up I will try, but my work schedule is quite erratic and I have no idea if I'm in the middle of a major project then, or relaxing between two projects. We'll see, but I'll try.

9 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

If time allows when this GB comes up I will try, but my work schedule is quite erratic and I have no idea if I'm in the middle of a major project then, or relaxing between two projects. We'll see, but I'll try.

Good man, you're in!  I know what you mean about erratic work schedules, they can be both a blessing and a curse but make planning impossible.

Room for more, come and join us!

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 5:46 PM, Wez said:

Duly added, thank you sir!

By all means yes, I don't want to exclude kits just because of knackered decals, I'm expecting that some of these kits may have been stash lurker for a long time so it's understandable the decals may be past it.

I've taken the diabolical liberty of adding you to the list.

Plenty of room for others to join, go search your stashes and give these kits some love!

Yes I'm definitely in thanks.spacer.png

18 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Confirmed, @wez. I have it paid for and in the post :). A new type for me so I’ll be asking lots of questions ;)

Great!

Ask away, somebody is bound to know the answer.

Room for more inside, come and join us, most of us don't bite!:D

• 4 weeks later...

Now the GBs have been announced, I'm putting out a request for a co-host, I've already received one offer (thanks), but a GB of this magnitude needs about three hosts so I'm asking for a volunteer to help out.

The only reward I can offer is my thanks and the satisfaction you'll get from playing your part in the running of a successful GB.

There's no pressure...

...additionally, there's plenty of room for more to join.  So come on in, the water's lovely!

• Like 1

Just to let you know, just in case there was any wringing of hands, wailing and angst ridden gnashing of teeth whilst you suffered the inner turmoil of deciding whether you were going to offer your services as co-host or not, somebody else has saved you the trouble!

I'm very pleased and grateful to announce that Heather Kay and Rabbit Leader (or Dave as his mum calls him), have agreed to be my co-hosts in this venture.  Heather Kay is dipping her toe in the water as a first time co-host and Dave is a seasoned hand at these things.  Dave has also offered to keep a list of the builds so we can see who is doing what, just as he has just done for the hugely enjoyable Classic Frog GB.

Many, many thanks to them both.

I'm really looking forward to the chance to both host and participate fully in a GB come October, my studies will be over and I will be a free spirit once again,  Hurrah!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning @Wez @Rabbit Leader @Heather Kay

Does this kit qualify please?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-80371-sukhoi-su-27ub-flanker--169519#

Ah I’ve just seen the date on the link....1990😟 Only Heller I had in the stash

Thanks 

Edited by Valkyrie

24 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

That’s unfortunate. :( 

Are you in a position to get on sites like King Kit and find an older Heller kit for the GB? There’s lots out there, and they’re not hugely expensive.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Good Morning @Wez @Rabbit Leader @Heather Kay

Does this kit qualify please?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-80371-sukhoi-su-27ub-flanker--169519#

Thanks 

That kit unfortunately falls into the Humbrol period when things all went wobbly down at the pottery club.  The cut off for this GB is pre-Humbrol.

8 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

That’s unfortunate. :( 

Are you in a position to get on sites like King Kit and find an older Heller kit for the GB? There’s lots out there, and they’re not hugely expensive.

That's a good idea or alternatively, see if anyone has anything suitable for sale in the sales section of this site or put a request out in the wanted area.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arniec said:

I have got the 1/48 Mirage IV for this GB. I think I will be in the clear.

Cheers,

You certainly would!  Classic Heller!

I know there's no need but I'll add your name to the list.  Thanks for joining in.

Plenty of choice and plenty of room in this Classic GB, anyone else want to join?

• Like 1

I've just had a very enjoyable visit to the French quarter of The Stash.  I've decided on my builds for this GB.

spacer.png

I'm reeely looking forward to the Yak-3.  Look at the box contents...

spacer.png

:D   

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I'm reeely looking forward to the Yak-3.  Look at the box contents...

spacer.png

Sacré Bleu!! :yikes:

Do it, do it! 

I'm really looking forward to this GB :thumbsup:

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Arniec said:

I have got the 1/48 Mirage IV for this GB. I think I will be in the clear.

Cheers,

I have one in the stash as well. What a plane! It looks so graceful yet so deadly.

There's something very sobering about the one way trip the crews would have taken if it all hit the fan at any point. 

Tony.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wez said:

Sacré Bleu!! :yikes:

I’ve got a Heller Alouette moulded in those colours, but funnily enough my similar vintaged Fouga Magister came in light grey plastic? 
Cheers. Dave 

52 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve got a Heller Alouette moulded in those colours, but funnily enough my similar vintaged Fouga Magister came in light grey plastic? 

I would suggest that your grey kit is from when Airfix was joined to Heller. Kits issued in Airfix boxes as well as Heller were moulded in neutral grey whilst kits issued only by Heller continued to be moulded in colourful plastic. There was still some Heller boxed kits in coloured plastic and the Airfix boxing in grey, eg the Hurricane Mk.IIC : Heller = black, Airfix = pale grey, Vampire FB5 : Heller = silverish, Airfix = pale grey

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that @Black Knight, would this also apply if both kits were ‘Black Boxed’? 
Actually, I’ve just checked the Magister kit and the instructions do say Heller Humbrol, I hadn’t picked that one up. 
Cheers.. Dave