Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

Thanks @Romeo Alpha Yankee
That sounds like a nice Group Build and almost worth a trip down to Canberra just to see it. I’ll have to mark my calendar and see what I can do to get there. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi all, last week I entered my first GB which starts tomorrow, the Nordic GB. I guess I got infected... I found a suitable Heller Classic: 

49398424283_1a2d95bdd6_z.jpg

Suitable for me that is, because I usually build trucks and Heller didn't release that many during the time period which is eligible for this GB. I've seen this kit for $100 on ebay but luckily I didn't pay that much for it! Well, I wouldn't have anyway. I'm looking forward to it! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JeroenS said:

Hi all, last week I entered my first GB which starts tomorrow, the Nordic GB. I guess I got infected... I found a suitable Heller Classic:

Well Jeroen, that would be very welcome, Heller made some  nice trucks, cars and motorbikes and it would be great to see them in the GB.

Thanks for signing up.

7 hours ago, TonyW said:

I found this picture of a rather nice Heller shop display rack in my files. Best share it here then!

presentoir-Heller-11-1.jpg

Wow!  Some absolute Heller gems there!

On 15/01/2020 at 23:33, stevej60 said:

Interesting,one of my might builds was the F-86 Sabre,just noticed Misterkit has released it with no less than 11 schemes might have to go for a multi build!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mistercraft-d-260-cl-13-f-86f-sabre--1134093

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 1/16/2020 at 6:32 AM, Jabba said:

I certainly hope so as I am going to make a E-8 J-Stars from the Gulf war using this as the basis.

sounds familiar....

35288325414_5be6c46b57_b.jpg

though I started with an E-3 kit, and it is still not finished

On 1/16/2020 at 10:33 AM, stevej60 said:

Interesting,one of my might builds was the F-86 Sabre,just noticed Misterkit has released it with no less than 11 schemes might have to go for a multi build!

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mistercraft-d-260-cl-13-f-86f-sabre--1134093

I'd take the decal options in these kits with a grain of salt. Inspect before you buy. What is supplied in the kit with regards to decals may not be what the box boasts. A mate bought the Hunter kit which boasted a super decal sheet (8 options?) and he ended up with options for a Swiss Air Force jet and a couple of others, most schemes were incomplete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am going through my stash and I did not realise how many Heller kits actually I do have. I thought I would be struggling to find something. So I am sure I will have something to start when the time comes.

So far I have found;

B707

L-1049 Super Connie

L-749 Connie 

DC-6

CL-415

F-86

Mirage F-1B/C

Magister

Not sure what else I will find in the depths of the stash

• Like 3

Thinking of wading into this group build but yet to find my muse. I like obscure stuff so am thinking maybe the Marcel Bloch 210 done as a cut-away as shown on a postcard produced in about 1939 by Baird Television Ltd and now in file AIR 2/1775 ( if memory serves me well) available in the National Archive. I have already done similar with an MB 200 which used television aerial reconnaissance equipment in 1939.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I am going through my stash and I did not realise how many Heller kits actually I do have. I thought I would be struggling to find something. So I am sure I will have something to start when the time comes.

So far I have found;

B707

L-1049 Super Connie

L-749 Connie 

DC-6

CL-415

F-86

Mirage F-1B/C

Magister

Now that's a nice stash of Heller kits all of which would be eligible for the GB.

8 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

Thinking of wading into this group build but yet to find my muse. I like obscure stuff so am thinking maybe the Marcel Bloch 210 done as a cut-away as shown on a postcard produced in about 1939 by Baird Television Ltd and now in file AIR 2/1775 ( if memory serves me well) available in the National Archive. I have already done similar with an MB 200 which used television aerial reconnaissance equipment in 1939.

Now that sounds a very interesting project, I'm sure I speak for others when I say it's definitely one we'd like to see in the GB.

Not that it's necessary but shall I count you in?

Anyone else want to join?  You wouldn't have to go to the lengths that Adrian is proposing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

So far I have found;

B707

L-1049 Super Connie

L-749 Connie 

DC-6

CL-415

F-86

Mirage F-1B/C

Magister

I would hide that Super Connie Ray, in case @Rabbit Leaderpops round to see you with his Quantas decals !

cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

I would hide that Super Connie Ray, in case @Rabbit Leaderpops round to see you with his Quantas QANTAS  :D decals !

cheers Pat 

I think I am safe Pat, Dave is around 1200 kms from me. By the time he gets here I will have it finished! :P

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I think I am safe Pat, Dave is around 1200 kms from me. By the time he gets here I will have it finished! :P

Ahem... I do work for an Airline you know and yes, we do fly jets!! 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Adrian Hills said:

Wez, count me in. 🙂

Welcome along Adrian.

Anyone else got something moulded by Heller lurking in the stash?  Well, here's your chance to make it!

• Thanks 1

On television aerial reconnaissance, here is my justification for a 'what if' Heller MB 210.

49403206078_8800b28ddc_z.jpgAdm118581lays by arhills, on Flickr

This is actually from file AIR 2/1733 not 1775

49403206383_800d2cc62e_z.jpgblochrun by arhills, on Flickr

The MB 200 photographed at Hendon about 1939/40

49403207033_f7ab988470_z.jpgIMG_0361 by arhills, on Flickr

49403682161_7756ca7c36_z.jpgIMG_0362 by arhills, on Flickr

49403206668_befca74289_z.jpgIMG_0360 by arhills, on Flickr

My MB 200 model with TV/AC on board.

This is a bit of a pet subject as I included this technology in my Doctorate

• Like 6

Confession time. I have ... a great many unbuilt "classic" Heller kits in my stash. That's even having built a lot of them over the years, and disposed of a few others last year. All of the following 1/72 aircraft are in Heller boxes, although only a few are in genuine "vintage" boxes - most are from the 1980/1990s. Naturally, I also have a clutch of other classic Heller kits in Smer, Revell, Mistercraft and Airfix boxes (EDIT: now all added, where I do not have them in a Heller box as well).

Curtiss SBC Helldiver/Cleveland

Bell P-39Q Airacobra

Republic P-47N Thunderbolt

NA P-51D Mustang

Douglas C-54 Cloudmaster

Lockheed Super Constellation

North American T-28A Trojan/Fennec

Lockheed T-33

Lockheed F-94 Starfire

Republic F-84 Thunderjet

NA F-86 Sabre (originally omitted, now added)

Vought F-8E Crusader

Messerschmitt Bf 108 Taifun

Messerschmitt Bf 109B/C

Messerschmitt Bf 109E

Messerschmitt Bf 109F

Messerschmitt Bf 109G

Messerschmitt Bf 109K

Messerschmitt Me 163B Komet

Messerschmitt Me 262B-1a/U1

Junkers Ju 52

Focke-Wulf Fw 56

Focke-Wulf Fw 190

Fiesler Fi 156 Storch

Bucker Bu 133 Jungmeister

PZL 23A/B Karas

Hawker Tempest V

Gloster Gladiator

Supermarine Spitfire XVIE LF

de Havilland Vampire FB.5

DBD Alpha Jet (before it went to Revell, and the Airfix tooling snuck into Heller boxes)

Transall C 160

Dewoitine 520

Bloch 174

Potez 631

Potez 631.11

Breguet 693

Potez 540

LeO 451

Amiot 143

Bloch 210

Morane Saulnier MS 225 (whoops, clean forgot about this)

Caudron 635

Caudron-Renault C 714

Nord 2501 Noratlas

Canadair CL 215 (and the much later kit of the CL 415)

Dassault MD 450 Ouragon

Fouga CM 170 Magister

Dassault-Breguet Mirage IV

Dassault Mirage 2000N

Dassault Mirage 2000C

SA 316/319 Alouette

Saab Viggen (3 of the attack/recce/trainer kit, and 1 of the later fighter kit)

Saab Lansen

Saab Tunnan

Smer:

ANF Mureaux 117

Bloch MB 152

Curtiss H75-A3 Hawk

Morane Saulnier MS 230

Morane Saulnier MS 406

Polikarpov I-153 Chaika

Nieuport Delage NiD 622

Dewoitine D 500/501

Dewoitine D 510

Revell:

Arado Ar 196 A-3

Airfix and Revell:

North American T-6G Texan/Harvard

Edited by klr
  • Like 6

Wow!  That's a great collection of Heller kits and plenty of choice too (and NO @Enzo Matrix this time he shouldn't build them all, unless the GB lasted 4 years rather than 4 months)!

I'm sure you can pluck one of these little beauties from the stash and join us!  Shall I count you in?

You've also reminded me I have the original Heller Alpha Jet in the stash too...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Wez said:

Wow!  That's a great collection of Heller kits and plenty of choice too (and NO @Enzo Matrix this time he shouldn't build them all, unless the GB lasted 4 years rather than 4 months)!

I'm sure you can pluck one of these little beauties from the stash and join us!  Shall I count you in?

You've also reminded me I have the original Heller Alpha Jet in the stash too...

You can definitely count me in. This fits right into my plans for the next year or so: I intend to build some of the kits that I've had in the stash for a very long time, that I've never built before, and that I just don't want to get rid of. Publicly committing to build certain kits will give me that extra motivation to start and (more importantly) finish them.

I'm thinking of some/most/all of the following:

Curtiss SBC Helldiver (probably as the Cleveland)

Messerschmitt Bf 109E

NA F-86 Sabre (which I originally omitted from my list above, now added)

Republic F-84 Thunderjet

DBD Alpha Jet

Mirage 2000C (possibly from an Airfix box, although I have the exact same kit in a Heller box as well)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, klr said:

Publicly committing to build certain kits will give me that extra motivation to start and (more importantly) finish them.

That was definitely the case with me in last year's FROG GB (my first).

All the best for your builds klr, an impressive stash indeed!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, klr said:

You can definitely count me in. This fits right into my plans for the next year or so: I intend to build some of the kits that I've had in the stash for a very long time, that I've never built before, and that I just don't want to get rid of. Publicly committing to build certain kits will give me that extra motivation to start and (more importantly) finish them.

I'm thinking of some/most/all of the following:

Curtiss SBC Helldiver (probably as the Cleveland)

Messerschmitt Bf 109E

NA F-86 Sabre (which I originally omitted from my list above, now added)

Republic F-84 Thunderjet

DBD Alpha Jet

Mirage 2000C (possibly from an Airfix box, although I have the exact same kit in a Heller box as well)

All fine choices and thank you for joining us.

Welcome!

7 minutes ago, Johnson said:

That was definitely the case with me in last year's FROG GB (my first).

All the best for your builds klr, an impressive stash indeed!

For me the motivation will be finally getting my life back after six years of studying for a degree, I fully intend to throw myself back into the hobby.

• Like 2