Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

23 minutes ago, halcyonjet said:

I'd love to join in as there are loads of old Heller kits in my stash, ranging from most of their 1/125 airliners, to 1/50 light aircraft and quite a few of the small cars (an Austin Princess I recall -why?) I bought in 1980.

Halcyondave

Well Dave, I'm sure we'd all be pleased to see any of those - especially the Austin Princess (can you still get the old British Leyland :poop:brown paint in a rattle can)?

Welcome to the GB.

Anymore for any more?

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 6:12 PM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Just one offering in my stash - a Trojan. Sounds like a great excuse to build it.

Heller-T28-Trojan.jpg

Bought at Thornbury 2018, to replace a Trojan that's long lost in my loft . . .

and has just turned up - around Aug 2019.

Heller-T28-Trojan-P.jpg

Save me trawling all the way thru this thread,  would a what-if Trojan be acceptable?

Some ideas in my head:  An as near as my spare decals allow USMC/Navy carrier trainer;

A Latin American COIN in camo, similar to a T-6 Texan,

Unmodified Heller airframe (other than arrestor) modified markings and payload.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Save me trawling all the way thru this thread,  would a what-if Trojan be acceptable?

Some ideas in my head:  An as near as my spare decals allow USMC/Navy carrier trainer;

A Latin American COIN in camo, similar to a T-6 Texan,

Unmodified Heller airframe (other than arrestor) modified markings and payload.

It's all about the kit so as far as I'm concerned a Whif is perfectly acceptable, does that mean you're in?

11 minutes ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I'm in.

Top man! Welcome!!

Anyone else looking for a reason to dig something out of the stash?

It just needs to be a Heller mould, doesn't have to be in a Heller box...

Hello,

I was planning to build this one - if Scalemates kit timeline is correct this is originally moulded by Heller?

146767-11185-pristine.jpg

If it is within this GB rules, then count me in.

Thanks in advance,

Srđan (srkirad)

18 hours ago, srkirad said:

Hello,

I was planning to build this one - if Scalemates kit timeline is correct this is originally moulded by Heller?

146767-11185-pristine.jpg

If it is within this GB rules, then count me in.

Thanks in advance,

Srđan (srkirad)

I've been giving this some thought, my original intention was to limit the GB to the pre-humbrol years but there's no reason why we shouldn't include the post-Humbrol years either, providing we can confirm that this is an original Heller mould.

Others have signed up to this GB based, I think, on the original premise, I would therefore bow to the wishes of the collective - so what do you think people?

11 minutes ago, srkirad said:

I can suggest backup plan to avoid complication with rules - 1/72 Somua - boxart is newer, but original mould is from 1979, so it's before Humbrol era?

Srđan,

That would be great as you rightly say, it avoids the complication and keeps things "classic".

I have to say the Sumoa would be very welcome, I'll add your name to the list shall I?

• Like 1

Just now, srkirad said:

Sure Wez, count me in with Somua ;)

Cheers,

S.

Thank you, you're in!

Anyone else want to join up, you've got a year to decide upon your subject.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Heller Classic GB is appealing to me - plenty time to select from the stash and plan - had more Heller than I remembered......... Aloutte III, 749 and 1049 Connies, He112, DH89, DE 510, Noratlas, Bu 133...... the list goes on and on! Made a few back in the late 70's and again a 749A Connie back in 1990 - but even that was a while ago.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jpthedog said:

The Heller Classic GB is appealing to me - plenty time to select from the stash and plan - had more Heller than I remembered......... Aloutte III, 749 and 1049 Connies, He112, DH89, DE 510, Noratlas, Bu 133...... the list goes on and on! Made a few back in the late 70's and again a 749A Connie back in 1990 - but even that was a while ago.....

That's a mighty fine list of Heller kits you have there any of which are what I consider to be classic Heller, anny or as @Enzo Matrix would say, all are welcome.

Your name is added to the list, welcome!

Anybody else feeling tempted?

• Haha 1

Can I just ask a general Heller kit question here? I’ve noticed a slight revival with newly boxed and decalled Heller kits lately so was just wondering if anyone knows how the moulds have fared overtime? The decals (with stencils) on some of these kits look quite  good and not wishing to outlay more money on AM decals, was just querying if the moulds have held up well or is it still advisable to source early release boxes? 

Cheers.. Dave 

43 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Can I just ask a general Heller kit question here? I’ve noticed a slight revival with newly boxed and decalled Heller kits lately so was just wondering if anyone knows how the moulds have fared overtime? The decals (with stencils) on some of these kits look quite  good and not wishing to outlay more money on AM decals, was just querying if the moulds have held up well or is it still advisable to source early release boxes? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Dave,

I can't vouch for other moulds but the Fennec/T-28 Trojan is as good as it was when first released.  The new decals on the other hand are exceptional in terms of subject, colour and definition, only time will tell how well they work, see this ealier post...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a couple more kits today at the swapmeet nwx8xn3.jpg

That makes a total of three kits now for this build. I have two of the 109’s and now the Curtiss. However the decals for the Hawk were toast, they're covered with mold. Need to check out the differences in these and either find French, USAAF, or RAF decals. 

• Like 4

Nice choices Dennis, I've always liked the '109B, it's a little gem of a kit.

I've never seen the Curtiss though but just love that boxart.

As you know, either or both would be very welcome in this GB.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Wez, 

I should have paid more attention to this before SMW. I fancy one of those old French pre-war bombers ;)

Martin

Great choice, now remember the ugliest design wins !

Potez 540 for example 

17 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I have a Heller 1:72 Boeing 707 in my stash - happy to add this to the GB👍

A very welcome choice if I may say so, welcome to the throng!

18 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Wez, 

I should have paid more attention to this before SMW. I fancy one of those old French pre-war bombers ;)

Martin

Is this your way...

17 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Oops ... i meant Amiot 143

...of expressing an interest Martin?  You'd be very welcome with this choice.

Any one else want to join?

I've got three Heller kits in my pile. CL-425, T-33 and T-6 And the Tasman boxing of the DH89. So I may well join in with one of these as I can use some LEM decals on 3 of them.