Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

11 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Wez,

on second thoughts, please count me in as well.

Funny enough, the only unbuilt Heller kit I have is the Nieuport 622. I have the 1/48 Mirage IIIC as well, which I started for a GB a long while back, and that is progressing slowly.

This paucity of Heller kits in my stash is ridiculous, considering that I was building them long before I got weaned (or so it feels)!

Anyway, the 622 it will be! A small enough kit to have a fair to moderate chance to finish in time!!!

JR

Jean,

Your NiD-622 would be very welcome, such a French looking aircraft it would be a shame not to have one in the GB.

Welcome to the GB!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Those of you that follow the What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part II will know I succumbed to some cider induced purchases last weekend...

I bought myself the newly re-released Heller 1/72nd T-28 Fennec/Trojan, I also bought some goodies to go with the kit, well the package arrived today and I thought I'd share the contents with you fellow Helleristes...

The new style box features the original box artwork but in the new shiny box style, the sturdy box by the way features a flip top lid (sorry about the flash glare btw):

New Heller Kit

The contents themselves are the familiar kit with very, teeny tiny raised rivets on the surface, far more realistic than the divots some modern kits portray as rivets (to my eye they portray holes to put rivets in or pulled skin :angrysoapbox.sml:).  I haven't shown these sprues but the kit came with a pleasant surprise!  Those of you who've made or seen the kit before will recall it never came with those very distinctive, often carried under-wing gun pods, will this kit comes with two new (to me at least) sprues featuring the pods and guns.  This is a blessing as the pods themselves are quite a distinctive shape and I was wondering how to scratchbuild them:

Fennec New Sprues

There's a new modern style instruction sheet and also a new decal sheet featuring three NMF French Fennecs, a camouflaged Moroccan Fennec and an overall yellow USN T-28B Trojan.  The decals themselves look cracking and are a vast improvement on the Heller originals, they appear thin, well printed, glossy and with minimal carrier film.  There's a bucket load of stencils for the various options too!  Those of you who've seen the kit before will recognise the scheme from the original boxing (scheme B), French magazine Ailes Francaise had a hand in these so I expect them to be well researched:

Fennec-Trojan New Decals

Finally the extra goodies, what we have here are Rob Taurus vac-form canopies (2 off), Pavla resin for the cockpit and a third vac-form canopy, Armoury resin wheels and a Quickboost engine.  Three replacement canopies may seem an extravagance but I want to make the kit with open canopies and I have fingers like sausages.  It turns out it was just as well there were three replacement canopies as the kit example was loose in the box and had been scratched - the only blemish on what is overall a very good package from Heller and one I'm very pleased to see returning to the shops.

Shiny Things for Fennec

Needless to say, this will be a candidate for next year's group build.

In the meantime I must make a mental note not to go shopping after a couple of ciders!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thats definitely one of my 🦄 builds. Ive been wanting to add a T-28 to my collection since the late 90's. 

Then I'd recommend this boxing if you don't already have one.

• Like 1

Steve,

Welcome to the GB with what has to be one of my favourite Heller kits!

The D.500/501/510 are lovely kits except for the rendition of the fabric surfaces as sackcloth!  I'm sure that's something a man of your calibre can overcome though.

If you need replacement decals, LF have done some attractive schemes although their small sheets do come at a premium.

Anyone else want to sign up for this one?  Plenty of time to decide what you're going to do and source the kit.

• Like 1

Hi

Nice to see they have done the gun pods on the Fennec saves me having to make them as before, Decals look better.

You need to fix the airbrake on the under side as the Fennec did not have the holes as the T28 easy to do just use filler there are a few other mods you have to do just like the French did to the real a/c when they got them not big things.

I have quite a few of the other boxings mind the gun pods could make me get more of them.

Still do not know which one to make only got to many to make my mind up will see closer to the date.

Paul

On 31/05/2019 at 10:40, PaulT 876 said:

Hi

Nice to see they have done the gun pods on the Fennec saves me having to make them as before, Decals look better.

You need to fix the airbrake on the under side as the Fennec did not have the holes as the T28 easy to do just use filler there are a few other mods you have to do just like the French did to the real a/c when they got them not big things.

I have quite a few of the other boxings mind the gun pods could make me get more of them.

Still do not know which one to make only got to many to make my mind up will see closer to the date.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm really impressed with the current package, it is a vast improvement on the original release (it's not often you can say that).

The new instruction sheet does detail the filling of the holes in the airbrake for the Fennec and the removal of the cold air scoop in front of the windscreen for the Trojan.

This kit represents a good introduction to the some of the truly great kits Heller produced, it deserves to do well!

If there's anyone else interested in this GB feel free to chirp up!

Edited by Wez
quoting the correct part of the aircraft

YES!!! I discovered a 1/35 AMX-VCI at a show today, still in the original shrink wrap and at a very good price. Happy doesn't come close. Only another 16 months until I can break that seal and have a quick fondle 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Only another 16 months until I can break that seal and have a quick fondle

There's nothing to stop you having a fondle...   ...it's going beyond that you must resist your femme fatale!

• Like 1

Hi

Was that at the Salisbury show 2 AMX kits under the table on one of the club stands on the end of a row.

One had gone when i went back i think the a/a one was left.

Wez thats good to see ref the Fennec will look out for that boxing from now on.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Is there a definitive, comprehensive list of everything heller made that is eligible for this build ? I have the Bf-109 B/C kit but was thinking I may add a couple more heller kits to the pile next swap meet I attend. 

Dennis

I have to confess, I don't know, my first port of call would be Scalemates, I don't recall if anyone has ever published a complete list of Heller kits...  ... can anyone help?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

I have to confess, I don't know, my first port of call would be Scalemates, I don't recall if anyone has ever published a complete list of Heller kits...  ... can anyone help?

I've got this book with part of it, approx. 24 pages of kits, art.no. and release time

48082000048_69119910aa_o.jpg by Jan H, auf Flickr

Some kits missing and there is always errors but a good start

Edited by SAU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, SAU said:

I've got this book with part of it, approx. 24 pages of kits, art.no. and release time

Jan,

I may need to lean heavily on you come GB time, that will be a valuable resource!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi Wez,

I'd like to join the Heller GB if I may with this Heller kit of two late WW2 German oddities;

Charlie,

You're in!  I never got around to buying this kit so I'm curious to see how the subjects build up - welcome!

Any more takers?  You've got until October 2020 to decide what to do.

18 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

Sign me up.

I only have one Heller kit in the stash, makes the choice easy. So I am in with a 1/72 Dragon Rapide.

And what a good choice to join with! Welcome!

Room for more though and plenty of time for you to choose your subject.

• 5 weeks later...
On 22/05/2019 at 22:16, Wez said:

Those of you that follow the What new stuff have you bought/been gifted? Part II will know I succumbed to some cider induced purchases last weekend...

I bought myself the newly re-released Heller 1/72nd T-28 Fennec/Trojan, I also bought some goodies to go with the kit, well the package arrived today and I thought I'd share the contents with you fellow Helleristes...

The new style box features the original box artwork but in the new shiny box style, the sturdy box by the way features a flip top lid (sorry about the flash glare btw😞

New Heller Kit

The contents themselves are the familiar kit with very, teeny tiny raised rivets on the surface, far more realistic than the divots some modern kits portray as rivets (to my eye they portray holes to put rivets in or pulled skin :angrysoapbox.sml:).  I haven't shown these sprues but the kit came with a pleasant surprise!  Those of you who've made or seen the kit before will recall it never came with those very distinctive, often carried under-wing gun pods, will this kit comes with two new (to me at least) sprues featuring the pods and guns.  This is a blessing as the pods themselves are quite a distinctive shape and I was wondering how to scratchbuild them:

Fennec New Sprues

There's a new modern style instruction sheet and also a new decal sheet featuring three NMF French Fennecs, a camouflaged Moroccan Fennec and an overall yellow USN T-28B Trojan.  The decals themselves look cracking and are a vast improvement on the Heller originals, they appear thin, well printed, glossy and with minimal carrier film.  There's a bucket load of stencils for the various options too!  Those of you who've seen the kit before will recognise the scheme from the original boxing (scheme B), French magazine Ailes Francaise had a hand in these so I expect them to be well researched:

Fennec-Trojan New Decals

Finally the extra goodies, what we have here are Rob Taurus vac-form canopies (2 off), Pavla resin for the cockpit and a third vac-form canopy, Armoury resin wheels and a Quickboost engine.  Three replacement canopies may seem an extravagance but I want to make the kit with open canopies and I have fingers like sausages.  It turns out it was just as well there were three replacement canopies as the kit example was loose in the box and had been scratched - the only blemish on what is overall a very good package from Heller and one I'm very pleased to see returning to the shops.

Shiny Things for Fennec

Needless to say, this will be a candidate for next year's group build.

In the meantime I must make a mental note not to go shopping after a couple of ciders!

Good morning Wez

Thanks to your review I bought this one yesterday ( without having drank cider nor Calvados before ..)

I will try to get the Pavla resin set ..

All the best

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Wez

Thanks to your review I bought this one yesterday ( without having drank cider nor Calvados before ..)

I will try to get the Pavla resin set ..

Good choice Patrice.

Generally, I would advise against alcohol induced purchases but I think I made a good choice here.

Regards

Wez

Any more takers for this GB, it's in the programme for next year.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to join in as there are loads of old Heller kits in my stash, ranging from most of their 1/125 airliners, to 1/50 light aircraft and quite a few of the small cars (an Austin Princess I recall -why?) I bought in 1980.

Halcyondave