Heller Classic GB Chat

Wez

3 minutes ago, Irishgreek said:

After getting pinged by Wez in another thread, I would like to join with my Plus Model EC-121 Warning Star.

Welcome along...   ...I can be very insistent (I was once described by an old boss as having all the qualities of a Jack Russell terrier crossed with a Rottweiler - except loyalty).

The EC-121 is a very impressive and wonderful subject and very Heller.

Thanks for signing up.

• Haha 1

Put me down for a space as well please.

Not sure what my entry will be, other than it will be from the Museum Series. I'll be leaning towards one of the flying teachests rather than the swoopy fighters.

Tony.

5 hours ago, TonyW said:

I'll be leaning towards one of the flying teachests

For a nation that prides itself in being très chic, it made some fugly aircraft between the wars, especially the heavy bombers and some of the flying boats (which can best be described as a ménage à trois between an aeroplane, a boat and a bus shelter)!  Fortunately Heller gave us some of the monstrosities as well as some of the elegant light bombers in the Musée series all of which will be very welcome...   ...as are you, welcome to the GB.

Anyone else want to join the fun?

Edited by Wez
Grammar, punctuation, the English language frankly deserves better!

1 hour ago, Wez said:

it made some fugly aircraft between the wars, especially the heavy bombers and some of the flying boats (which can best be described as a ménage à trois between an aeroplane, a boat and a bus shelter)! 

OMG 😂😂😂 i almost snorted out my morning tea when i read that !!! SWMBO is convinced ive lost it. 

On 1/23/2019 at 6:13 AM, Antoine said:

This one was in yesterday's mail.

Yellow plastic, yes, but a huge decal sheet, with Sécurité Civile, Spanish and Greek options!

Could be my champion for this GB, or a CL-415 that'll certainly get in the meantime.

Or a DC-6???

All with Syhart decals, of course.

Thanks for the info that Syhart do decal sheets for the Canadairs. I've older Heller boxings of both kits, and I'm considering one or other of them for the GB if I can get decent transfers.

Edited by JosephLalor

50 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Thanks for the info that Syhart do decal sheets for the Canadairs. I've older Heller boxings of both kits, and I'm considering one or other of them for the GB if I can get decent transfers.

Does that mean that I can count you in for the GB?

2 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

There you go for the sheet with CL215.

And the one for CL415 has just been reprinted.

But then, if you plan a non-French aircraft, the kit's decal sheet is just beautiful.

5 hours ago, Wez said:

For a nation that prides itself in being très chic, it made some fugly aircraft between the wars, especially the heavy bombers and some of the flying boats (which can best be described as a ménage à trois between an aeroplane, a boat and a bus shelter)! 

At the time, there was a contest with UK for the ugliest aircraft, ever.

We did our best, but... the Brits won!

blackburn_blackburn_ii.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Antoine said:

There you go for the sheet with CL215.

And the one for CL415 has just been reprinted.

But then, if you plan a non-French aircraft, the kit's decal sheet is just beautiful.

Thanks Antoine, that's good to know.  I'm afraid that in the boxings I have the kit decal designs are out of register, which is why I'm looking to aftermarket.

Edited by JosephLalor

7 hours ago, Antoine said:

At the time, there was a contest with UK for the ugliest aircraft, ever.

We did our best, but... the Brits won!

I never claimed that the French were the sole purveyors of ugly aircraft as that photo proves...   ...is that an Avro Bison? 

5 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

I've never participated in a group build before, so yes please.  I'm going to go with the 415.

Well welcome to ours, we'll be very pleased to see your CL-415 in whatever markings you choose.

Plenty of room for more to join, have a rummage in the stash I'm sure you'll find something suitable.

Edited by Wez

18 minutes ago, Wez said:

I never claimed that the French were the sole purveyors of ugly aircraft as that photo proves... 

And I never claimed you claim anything...

Time to remember where you left your humour, mate.

or I'll send you a dozen boxes of Modelsvit's Mirage IIIE!

Blackburn something, IIRC.

12 minutes ago, Antoine said:

And I never claimed you claim anything...

Time to remember where you left your humour, mate.

or I'll send you a dozen boxes of Modelsvit's Mirage IIIE!

Blackburn something, IIRC.

I found my sense of humour, it had fallen out of my pocket and dropped down the back of the sofa cushions, I also found two pence, a dried out lip balm, one of my daughter's nail varnishes, some crisp crumbs and plenty of dog hair!  So no need to send me the Modelsvit kit thanks.

Blackburn Baffin maybe?  I'm sure somebody will know, I've tried to erase all of those horrible inter war aircraft from my mind.

I have a Heller NiD-622 in the stash, now that is an elegant aircraft!  Does anyone make any aftermarket decals for it, I think mine are shot!

Edited by Wez

4 minutes ago, Wez said:

Blackburn Baffin maybe?  I'm sure somebody will know, I've tried to erase all of those horrible inter war aircraft from my mind.

It's actually the Blackburn Blackburn: so good, they named it twice!

Actually, it was pretty good in service - about 60 built and in service for ten years, including carrier ops. But not pretty.

• Thanks 1

According to the Putnam 'Blackburn Aircraft', it was named after the town of Blackburn, Lancs, but you do have to wonder what was going through the mind of the chap at the Air Ministry who named it.

Unfortunately, Heller didn't kit it. As far as I know, nor did anyone else.

Perhaps it'll be Airfix's next 1/24th scale kit, after the Beverley, of course.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KevinK said:

To be fair, I think that's a blessing!

14 hours ago, KevinK said:

According to the Putnam 'Blackburn Aircraft', it was named after the town of Blackburn, Lancs, but you do have to wonder what was going through the mind of the chap at the Air Ministry who named it.

Perhaps it'll be Airfix's next 1/24th scale kit, after the Beverley, of course.

There is a 1/200 metal kit from Shed Models, along with similar kits of the Avro Bison and Westland Walrus. 

17 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

I'd like to chip in with a M.D. 450 Ouragan if I may? 

Jinxman, you're very welcome and your choice of subject is great, the Ouragan definitely counts as a Heller classic!

If you're interested or in need of different decals, check out this new set by Model Art.

Anyone else want to join?  There's plenty of time to raid the stash, if it was an original Heller mould it counts, it doesn't matter whose box it's in - Airfix, Encore, KP, Lodela, Plus Model, Revell and SMER amongst others have all boxed Heller kits, other manufacturer's kits in Heller boxes don't count I'm afraid. 

Edited by Wez
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wez said:

If you're interested or in need of different decals, check out this new set by Model Art.

That's a nice set, I've got a Modeldecal set somewhere, but it's not a patch on that one. Also an Isradecal set that has some very nice camo schemes in it.

I reckon an Israeli camo and French nmf should do it - so two builds for the price of one!

cheers

29 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

I reckon an Israeli camo and French nmf should do it - so two builds for the price of one!

Bargain!  I look forward to both! :thumbsup2: